Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlets while driving?

Grand Design Transcend Xplor 265BH

Do the electric outlets work while hooked up to the tow vehicle and driving? Wondering if I can charge batteries and run a fan (to keep dogs cool) while driving.

If you are referring to the 110v outlets they do not work when towing unless you are r running a generator while underway.
    John & Cindy
    2019 303 RLS
    2018 F250

Comment

If you have an inverter you may have some of the outlets powered.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

As Johnww mentioned, they will not be energized. A solution would be to install an inverter to power the fan. Inverter installs can be quite simple for one dedicated outlet or quite complicated if you want to power the whole RV. If you'd like to pursue this option, we can help you develop a solution.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by WilsonFam View Post

Do the electric outlets work while hooked up to the tow vehicle and driving? Wondering if I can charge batteries and run a fan (to keep dogs cool) while driving.
          WilsonFam

Welcome to our owners technical forum. When you have a chance, have a look at our welcome post. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members . This will help you set up your signature and navigate the forum.

Not really an answer to your specific question, but if you are planning to leave your dogs in the trailer while towing, you might want to take some video of how they are doing. A moving RV trailer is a rather rough and wild ride.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Sorry, but leaving animals in the trailer while it's moving should be considered the same as leaving a person in there. I would be worried about multiple things starting with the ride quality as it's nothing like a TV or anything nice. Second is heat. Even with the vents open and fans running, trailers get HOT. Third and probably the thing we are most likely to forget is flying debris (all the stuff inside the trailer) While we try to fasten, secure, and store everything in its place, items in a trailer become bludgeoning tools when they get loose.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
              Sorry, but leaving animals in the trailer while it's moving should be considered the same as leaving a person in there . . .
              Oddly enough . . . there are several states where riding in a moving TT is legal. At least the people do it by choice (I would assume)

Rob

Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by WilsonFam View Post

Another option is to use DC powered fans. There are many for the marine world that are very efficient. We used to use them all the time boating in hot weather. There will be 12 volt DC available when driving for sure. I know that many in this forum don’t approve but we travel with our cat in the RV all the time. In our opinion, it is far easier on our cat than catching him and crating him in the truck where he “screams” constantly. If the animal (at least a cat) has water available I think it can handle reasonable temperatures fine (not 120 deg f crossing AZ in the summertime). Our cat at home will leave an air conditioned room at 73 deg and go out on a 93 deg porch in the summertime and lie in the sun. I used to feel more guilty until we camped next to a family in Kentucky. They had a similar size 5er with three teenage kids and two big dogs. I asked how he fit them in the truck and he said, of course, that the dogs ride in the 5er. He also added that as soon as they passed across the border of a state where riding in the trailer was legal, they stopped to let the kids move back into the 5er where they preferred to travel.
                2018 Reflection 303rls
                MORryde IS, FlexArmor roof
                Blue Ox Super Ride hitch
                2017 Ford F350 CCSB SRW

Comment

Working...
                X