Inverter and Battery Cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inverter and Battery Cables

This may be common sense, either way, but I have no idea. That being said, 2200 watt inverter install coming up next week. Im using 2/0 cable for the batteries to inverter with cutoff switch and ANL fuse on the red side. My question is, since Im dumping the 12v Interstate from the dealer and going with 2 6v in series, should I, get rid of the existing battery cables (4 or 6 awg) that attach for the main 12v power and ground and use the same 2/0 wire for the batteries since Im already going to be using 2/0? Or it makes no difference since the Inverter cables don't attach to the power block (whatever its called) where a lot of + wires hook up right next to the emergency brake box on the frame.

Also, should the main battery + and - cables be the same length or is that more for running batteries in parallel?

Ive got more, but this'll be enough for me to soak in

Thanks in advance, stay safe
    Michael & Lisa & Mako the Dutch Shepherd
    Southeast Valley, AZ

Current - 2021 GD Transcend Xplor 245RL
    Former - 2018 Heartland Sundance 221RB

Current - 2020 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax 6.6L SLT
    Former - 2010 Toyota Tundra DC TRD Rock Warrior 5.7 4x4 Tow Package (10,300)

Originally posted by Retired-5-Oh's View Post
    This may be common sense, either way, but I have no idea. That being said, 2200 watt inverter install coming up next week. Im using 2/0 cable for the batteries to inverter with cutoff switch and ANL fuse on the red side. My question is, since Im dumping the 12v Interstate from the dealer and going with 2 6v in series, should I, get rid of the existing battery cables (4 or 6 awg) that attach for the main 12v power and ground and use the same 2/0 wire for the batteries since Im already going to be using 2/0? Or it makes no difference since the Inverter cables don't attach to the power block (whatever its called) where a lot of + wires hook up right next to the emergency brake box on the frame.

Also, should the main battery + and - cables be the same length or is that more for running batteries in parallel?

You should be able to leave the factory wiring, it is sized correctly for those loads so the inverter wiring should not affect it. The parallel and series wiring should ideally be the same length, but honestly I have never paid much attention to it. Just do not make them feet different.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Retired-5-Oh's View Post

We replaced the factory positive cable from the battery to the main breaker, since theirs was barely long enough to reach. I too never paid too much attention to keeping the negative and positive the same length since it was a series connection and not parallel, and we haven't had any issues.
      2019 Imagine 2400BH
      2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Ideally they should be the same length...but that is hard to do sometimes...Just make them as close as you can. Factory wiring is fine...but I created a new ground and ran heavier cable to it (was just what I was using.

Which batteries are you going with? I get (2) 6V in series gets you 12V. Also, which inverter? I think that will be fine for your inverter...but it may not hurt to look up the specs.
        2020 Imagine 2400BH
        2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

Working...
        X