Cell Phone Booster Install - And Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cell Phone Booster Install - And Results

We frequently boondock and quite often have a weak cell phone signal.

Ginnie and I just finished installing a weBoost Drive 4G-X cell phone booster on our Reflection 297 RSTS. Initial tests show that we boosted our signal from 2 bars to 4, which is about a 50dB improvement. It boosts 3G, 4G and data.

As you can see from the attached photos, there was a significant difference in data speed before and after the unit was powered up.

I still need to clean up some of the wiring in the cabinet, but I'm glad to have this one finished.

BTW, this model is designed for truckers. I picked this one because of the way the antenna mounts to the ladder (similar to a trucker's mirrors). In addition, If I purchase another antenna and mount, I can easily move it between the truck and RV if desired. They also make a version focused on RV's. If you're considering buying one, you might do some in-depth research to see which one would work best for you.
    Last edited by howson; 12-02-2020, 06:49 PM.
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
    If you're considering buying one, you might do some in-depth research to see which one would work best for you.
    The folks at the Mobile Resource Center are a fantastic source of info (IMHO): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC95...uvBuIHfuVo6W4Q and https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mobile.JPG
Views:	964
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	6230
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Ginnie and I just finished installing a weBoost Drive 4G-X cell phone booster on our Reflection 297 RSTS. Initial tests show that we boosted our signal from 2 bars to 4, which is about a 50dB improvement. It boosts 3G, 4G and data.

As you can see from the attached photos, there was a significant difference in data speed before and after the unit was powered up.

I still need to clean up some of the wiring in the cabinet, but I'm glad to have this one finished.

BTW, this model is designed for truckers. I picked this one because of the way the antenna mounts to the ladder (similar to a trucker's mirrors). In addition, If I purchase another antenna and mount, I can easily move it between the truck and RV if desired. They also make a version focused on RV's. If you're considering buying one, you might do some in-depth research to see which one would work best for you.
      Very nice! I went with the Drive Reach and switched it to the trucker antenna. I am loving it and find it makes a noticeable difference in signal strength and data speeds in low signal areas.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Hi Jim,
        This looks like a good way to go. How did you bring the wire from the antenna into the camper?
        thanks,
        Dave
        2016 Reflection 27RL
        2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
        B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

Originally posted by Dave27 View Post
          Hi Jim, This looks like a good way to go. How did you bring the wire from the antenna into the camper? thanks, Dave
          I'm not answering for TucsonJim but FYI I <gasp> drilled a 1" hole through the back wall and into the cabinets we have on the inside back wall. I used a marine pass-through fitting, one similar to the first one on the page at the link below but as you'll see on the page there are many choices for a secure weatherproof fitting.

https://www.westmarine.com/search?Nt...e+pass+through

Some people can't bear the thought of drilling a wall. There are risks of hitting wires in some parts of the walls, but I've gone through the wall behind the ladder on two GD trailers without destroying anything. Some "no-drillers" have cautioned that drilling will destroy a claimed vacuum seal between the layers of the wall but since I've now worked on issues around the edges of many of the OEM holes in the trailer walls I'm afraid I'm suspicious about that advice of a vacuum seal throughout the walls.

Good luck with your choices.
          Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Hi Jim,
            This looks like a good way to go. How did you bring the wire from the antenna into the camper?
            thanks,
            Dave
            i am adding this option to my setup it’s a flat extension that can be pulled through window. For now I pass my cable through slide when it’s halfway open, careful to not damage seal then when slide open it locks it down. I have the RV 4G which is a panel antenna mounted on a telescoping PVC tube attached to ladder with ss adjustable clamp. But like this simple trucker antenna.

https://www.weboost.com/products/wil...0aAn2iEALw_wcB

Vivian
            2018 Reflection 303rls
            Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
            Demco Recon

Comment

Hi Jim,
              thanks,
              Dave
              Yesterday I installed a weboost reach RV in our 337RLS. I found a way to run the antenna cable into our rig without drilling any holes. I went down the ladder and into the bottom covering coming out by the driver side slide-out. I was able to tie into the cables and wires that are routed into the bottom of the slide-out at the base of the entertainment area. I mounted the amplifier in the open space behind our fireplace. It is a very large open space and does not heat up when the fireplace is used. I ran the power pack plug from the power source behind the TV, in the opening passthrough hole, down to the weboost amplifier.

My concern is that I need to run the weboost internal antenna further away from the exterior antenna but at this point the weboost gives me a solid green light when powered on. If I do need to run the internal antenna further away I will have to add an R85 extension to do so. I spoke to weboost support yesterday and they advise not to add any extensions of cable either outside on the external antenna or inside for the internal antenna.

Disclaimer, we haven't tested the signal impact of having the booster since we only installed this yesterday. We leave Monday for a trip should put the booster to the test.

Here are a few pictures of the install.

Keith and Tina
              2021 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
              2014 RAM 3500 6.7L Cummins Crew Cab SWD SB 4X4
              Hitch Curt 20k Fixed Mount

Comment

Working...
              X