Slide out wattage use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slide out wattage use?

I have been looking all over and can't find what the amp or watts that are used when a slide out is operated. Granted there are different sizes of slide outs (I perceive different motor sizes), so average living room slide out, any one have data on how much Wh or Ah is used for power use calculation? We have a 2022 31 MB for reference.

Thanks
    Jason & Brittany
    2022 Reflection 31MB

Originally posted by Wasatch View Post
    I have been looking all over and can't find what the amp or watts that are used when a slide out is operated. Granted there are different sizes of slide outs (I perceive different motor sizes), so average living room slide out, any one have data on how much Wh or Ah is used for power use calculation? We have a 2022 31 MB for reference.

Thanks
    I'm not 100% sure, but wonder if we can back our way to the answer.

A motor's fuse, according to https://mgispeedware.com/guides-docu...ze-calculator/ is: Fuse = (motor's rated current) * ( 2.5) Note that the wiring must be capable of handling the current load and is a key factor in choosing a fuse, too.

Lippert's through-frame service manual calls for a 30A self-resetting circuit breaker. So, doing the math, 30 / 2.5 = 12 amps.

Wattage is volts * amps, so assuming 12v, 12v * 12a = 144 watts.

If the slide ran for an hour and volts and amps stay constant that means 144wH (or 12aH) is consumed.

Let's assume the slide runs for one minute, so divide the two numbers above by 60. 144 / 60= 2.4 wH; 12 / 60 =.2 aH

Real world measurements will vary according to battery voltage, resistance of the slide to movement, temperature...all kinds of variables. The numbers above are "ballpark" estimates.

Howard
    P.S. Doing math in public is almost as bad as public speaking...so now I sit and wait for the corrections......hope I didn't mess up too bad. gbkims -- help!
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210811-121758_Chrome.jpg
Views:	813
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	63230

Here's a screen shot of a typical in-frame slide motor. Rated at 30 amps. That is probably zero speed starting amps. Running current will be less.
      Ted
      2021 Reflection 310RLS
      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

You might be able to ask lippert or GD just service what the FLA of the slide motor is. While Howard's use of 2.5 is a good ballpark number to use for a fuse determinator, there are a lot of variables that influence a fuse decision. It may only be 1.5 or as high as 3.
        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        2021 303RLS
        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

This applies to my Schwintek slides on our Imagine:

My small slide draws 5A or so, the big slide draws 9-10A. Per GD, both use the same 300:1 motors. If I want to fit 500:1 motors in the big slide I also have to change the torque tubes to steel ones vs the current aluminum ones.
          2017 Imagine 2650 & 2019 F-250 (Got tired of the F-150)

Comment

Yesterday was moving day so I took these screenshots, the first one was before a slide was moved, the second one was our living room hydraulic slides and the last one is our schwintek slide.
            Donnie & Pattie
            2017 F350 Dually, 2021 Solitude 390RK
            Vin# 573FS4224MAA00525

Comment

For my kitchen thru the frame electric slide out, I measured 14 Amps max while the slide was being closed a couple of years ago.
              This is on the 12VDC 30A motor/gearbox.
              Gene and Kim
              2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
              2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Way late replies... sorry friends. @howson, @TedS, @Scott'n'Wendy, @mbopp, @racerx1699, @gbkims Thanks for the input and replies... Great data.
                Jason & Brittany
                2022 Reflection 31MB

Comment

Working...
                X