X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• howson
    replied
    Originally posted by Yoda View Post
    New question on battery connections. I have been viewing lots of videos and pictures on the 2022 F350 6.7 engine bay and other threads on accessory installs. Rob Cate&Rob can you verify that there are the extra posts like the negative post on the driver's battery and the positive post on the passenger battery, but not the others? In other words accessory posts on opposite sides of the engine bay? I guess what I am asking is will I need to run the positive wire to the passenger side to find an accessory post?

I found this post #7 at https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ery-posts.html
    He tapped the bulge area on the stock battery terminal and added a stainless steel 6MM (1/4"?) bolt from the bottom to create the post? The nut up top acts as a double nut sense he tapped the bolt in. Connection would be made on top of the nut if I understand correctly. I might go with 5/16"-3/8" given my current draw.

Click image for larger version

Name:	addingbatterypost.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	73785

Folks - what do you think of this idea? I already have everything I would need to do it when the time comes. I am assuming my terminals will have the same bulges in them?

Thanks for any help

Keith
    https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...0311#post10311

Look at the video embedded in the post, Keith.

Leave a comment:

• ncitro
    replied
    New question on battery connections. I have been viewing lots of videos and pictures on the 2022 F350 6.7 engine bay and other threads on accessory installs. Rob Cate&Rob can you verify that there are the extra posts like the negative post on the driver's battery and the positive post on the passenger battery, but not the others? In other words accessory posts on opposite sides of the engine bay? I guess what I am asking is will I need to run the positive wire to the passenger side to find an accessory post?

He tapped the bulge area on the stock battery terminal and added a stainless steel 6MM (1/4"?) bolt from the bottom to create the post? The nut up top acts as a double nut sense he tapped the bolt in. Connection would be made on top of the nut if I understand correctly. I might go with 5/16"-3/8" given my current draw.

Folks - what do you think of this idea? I already have everything I would need to do it when the time comes. I am assuming my terminals will have the same bulges in them?

Thanks for any help

Keith

This is what I did on mine. I drilled a hole in the ring terminal and put a bolt through that I double nutted. Works great.

Leave a comment:

• Yoda
    replied

Thanks for any help

Keith

Leave a comment:

• Yoda
    replied
    Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Dr Howard is correct. Polarity doesn't matter with a coil. Either way will work.
    On old Ford solenoids, they looked similar to that, but the case was the coil ground and you only had to run the positive signal wire. Kind of surprised that one is not the same. For 100% surety, you could use a meter on ohms and check from small stud to case and in both cases I would expect infinite. If one reads zero, you have a negative post.
    Thanks Scott - Ill give that a go and report back

On Edit
    I ohm'ed everything out. All contacts show no connection to the case. The little terminals show a circuit between them as expected.
    I think I am good to go now.
    Last edited by Yoda; 01-07-2022, 04:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Scott'n'Wendy
    replied
    Dr Howard is correct. Polarity doesn't matter with a coil. Either way will work.
    On old Ford solenoids, they looked similar to that, but the case was the coil ground and you only had to run the positive signal wire. Kind of surprised that one is not the same. For 100% surety, you could use a meter on ohms and check from small stud to case and in both cases I would expect infinite. If one reads zero, you have a negative post.

Leave a comment:

• Yoda
    replied
    Thanks everyone

Keith

Leave a comment:

replied
    Yoda,

Yes the negative can be grounded to the frame.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• howson
    replied
    Yoda

The schematic shows power connected to a coil (connectors 2 and 3). The purpose for the coil (call me Capt Obvious) is to create a magnetic field which engages the relay. Either way the 12vDC flows it will go through a 17.5 ohm load and create the magnetic field. I don't think it's possible to hook it up "backwards"--in other words it doesn't matter. If it did matter there'd be a diode in the circuit or, at minimum, an indication on the component itself. (At least I HOPE that would be the case!)

Howard

Name:	schematic.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	73709

Leave a comment:

• Yoda
    replied
    OK back to the project
    I was looking over my Cole Hersee 24213 12V 200 amp continuous duty solenoid and got to wondering on the wiring. This may sound like a dumb question, BUT...................

Drawing link
    https://www.littelfuse.com/media?res...lename=24213(a)

From the above drawing and picture, the pass through power (2 AWG switch main wire) should be connected to 1 and 4 (big side studs). Either side could be attached to the battery depending on how or where the solenoid gets mounted. The side not connected to the battery goes to the bulkhead plug. Battery side is fused at the battery (100A)

The solenoid activation wires (12-14 awg) are terminals 2 and 3 (small center terminals), but which should be positive (connected to up fitter switch for power) and which should be negative (connected to the truck frame)? Or does it matter? They are not marked or different color. Looking at the schematic it appears the wires just attache to the coil so should work either way - correct?

Just making sure - don't want to let the expensive smoke out.

Thanks Keith

Leave a comment:

• howson
    replied

Your putting me in the poor house - all I have is the free version. I guess I could drop SWMBO or my daughter a hint - maybe for my birthday in January.
    Not worth it just for that one capability IMHO. I'm sure there's many other programs out there that can do something similar, you'll just have to hunt for something. Acrobat X came with a Fujitsu SnapScan scanner I purchased years ago (that is use VERY frequently).

Personally I'd check out LibreOffice's "Draw" program as mentioned in this list of "best of...": https://www.lifewire.com/best-free-pdf-editors-4147622

Regardless, find a free version. No reason to spend the money on the Adobe program.

Probably time to get back on topic, eh?

Howard

Leave a comment:

• Yoda
    replied
    Originally posted by howson View Post

Yes. In the full version of Acrobat X it's possible to save a PDF page as a JPEG.
    Your putting me in the poor house - all I have is the free version. I guess I could drop SWMBO or my daughter a hint - maybe for my birthday in January.

Leave a comment:

• howson
    replied

Thanks Howard. How did you do that? Did you convert the pdf to a jpg?
    Yes. In the full version of Acrobat X it's possible to save a PDF page as a JPEG.

The pic below showing the menu tree for this option was created by:

1) hitting PRINT SCREEN on my keyboard which takes a snapshot of the entire screen.
    2) Pasting the snapshot into a Powerpoint slide.
    3) Cropping the image down, add the arrow, and then use the Snipping Tool to grab just what I want.
    4) Save the Snip as as standalone JPG (which I do a LOT here) and post it. Pic ends up "just right" for this forum.

Howard

Name:	Save As.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	72427

Leave a comment:

• Scott'n'Wendy
    replied
    Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    There is another helpful tool in windows referred to as "Snipping Tool" Used to be "snip it". It will copy anything you drag across on the screen and save as a PNG.

Name:	Snipping Tool.PNG
Views:	297
Size:	2.9 KB
ID:	72416
    Jim
    And for those Mac people the program is called 'Grab'. Does the same thing as Snippit.

Leave a comment:

replied

I never knew that existed
    Keith
    Your going to love it.

Bring up the app, save it to your lower task bar. Click on it and select "new" and drag diagonally across what you want to copy and save.

Did two things useful today. The other was speaking with my parents security folks over the smoke detectors going off from my dad cooking and taking a nap at the same time. All is good. LOL. So this will be me when I'm 90 I suppose.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Yoda
    replied
    Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    There is another helpful tool in windows referred to as "Snipping Tool" Used to be "snip it". It will copy anything you drag across on the screen and save as a PNG.

Name:	Snipping Tool.PNG
Views:	297
Size:	2.9 KB
ID:	72416
    Jim
    I never knew that existed
    Keith

Leave a comment:

Working...
X