I/D - O/D lost leg on dog bone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I/D - O/D lost leg on dog bone

Way back when in Florida my power cable sat in the Florida sun and got really soft causing it to separate at the 50 amp twist lock. It happened because the cable was plugged into the outlet at a 90 degree angle putting undue force on the connection. When it got warm from the sun it relaxed, and separate, leaving wires exposed. I decided that was not acceptable so put a replacement plug on the end and purchased a 90 degree 50 amp dogbone. It plugged into the RV outlet and hung straight down, allowing me to plug the power cable into it without straining the power cable. Perfect.

Years later I bought a Grand Design Momentum. Same issue, the power cable plugs into the RV at a 90 degree angle causing strain in the cable. But I still had my 90 degree dogbone so all was good. No strain.

Then I read in a forum about how the 90 degree dogbone was causing fires.

It seems they would get pulled slightly and the connection would get twisted and then short out. Yikes. So I attached a broom hanger on the side of the RV and made sure my power cable was clipped in so it would be impossible for it to twist and short. Yea!

I like tight connections. But my old dog bone and my new Momentum were never tight. There was always some play in the connection. When connected you could grab the dog bone and lift it up and down and get about 1/4 inch play. Without proper tools and only eye balling the connections it appears to me that the ID of the Momentum connection is larger than the OD of the dogbone connection. But it works. Mostly.

We have been running generator for the last week boondocking. Checked into an RV campground with power tonight and one leg of electricity is not working. I figured the transfer switch was wonky. I turned off the pedestal power and fired up the generator, power on all legs. Shut generator off, turned pedestal power on, lost a leg. What a pain to take stuff out and dig down to the transfer switch. Put the meter on it and found out there was no power coming from the pedestal on one leg, wasn't the deeply embedded transfer switch after all. Chased it backwards, when I took the dog bone out and reconnected everything works fine.

I brought the dog bone inside and checked it for continuity. Good on all legs. Hmmm! It's not broken but it doesn't work. I have seen this before, but after reinstalling it worked. Hmmm! Having had an issue with it before I am now on a search for a better solution. One thing of note, the dog bone I use and connection that Grand Design installed are not a tight fit, there is a lot of play in it. I am sure my electrician/engineer buddies will cringe and give dire warnings, loose electricity is not good.

But perhaps they can shed some light on 50 amp twist lock connections and how much of the surface has to be touching for it to work safely.

In the mean time I am searching for a better way to plug my power cable into the 90 degree connection on my Momentum without causing stress.
    2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
    2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
    E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
    Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

d2reid

I'm a fan of the Smart Plug. Installed it back in late 2019 and it's been "Howard-proof" (lol). Full story here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...n-on-a-315rlts
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I used to use a 90 degree dogbone. I didn't like the fact that when fully connected it hung slightly forward putting a counter clockwise torque on the connection tending to loosen it. It always required checking for tightness. The twist lock must be fully twisted to the stop.

Changed to the SmartPlug a few years ago and never looked back. It's always solid, tight.
      Ted
      2021 Reflection 310RLS
      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

So I may be missing something but looking at the howson post, I see in the picture of the SmartPlug that the cord is still coming out of the trailer perpendicular to the sidewall thus putting the same stress on the cord hanging from it as a twist lock. How that solve the original issue of undue stress on the cord where it connects to the plug?

I can see all the other useful features of a SmartPlug including not fighting with the locking ring that never threads on right, but seems like it's lacking not being a 90 connector.

Am I missing something?

Terry
        Terry and Patty (Dogs-Sophie and Tessa)
        2020 Reflection 297RSTS - bought Oct 2019
        2021 F350 crew cab, SRW, 6.7L diesel, 14K equal-i-zer hitch

Comment

Originally posted by trkester View Post
          So I may be missing something but looking at the howson post, I see in the picture of the SmartPlug that the cord is still coming out of the trailer perpendicular to the sidewall thus putting the same stress on the cord hanging from it as a twist lock. How that solve the original issue of undue stress on the cord where it connects to the plug?

I can see all the other useful features of a SmartPlug including not fighting with the locking ring that never threads on right, but seems like it's lacking not being a 90 connector.

Am I missing something?

Terry
          Terry,
          The Smart Plug does come out perpendicular as you noted, but due to the design and the way it locks it works fine (I can only vouch for my personal experience with the product).

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
          2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

The stress on the cord is no worse than that caused by winding the cord to store it. The plug to socket fit is longer and more stable than the twist lock. There is a strain relief clamp inside the plug to prevent stress on the wire connections inside.

It would be interesting to see SmartPlug create a 90 degree cable end for a neater rv end connection. Like the pedestal end plug arrangement.
            Ted
            2021 Reflection 310RLS
            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

I have two issues with the Smart Plug idea. First I have been fairly unsuccessful with cutting and reattaching my 50 amp cord. Granted I was using the cheap Camco replacement plugs. All of the ones that I did failed over time, pretty spectacularly, As I plug and unplug hundreds of times the connections worked loose. So me doing that work isn't a good idea.

Second cord failure. With the non-standard twist lock plug should the power cable fail you could not do an emergency replacement with an off the shelf cord. Having been there I carry a spare 30amp cord with appropriate adapters.

Today I do a continuity test on the dogbone. I am considering putting some gorillas tape around the dogbone to see if that would tighten up the connection. I will also inspect the teeth (tongs, tines) and see if they can bend slightly to make a tighter fit.

My other idea is to build a cord stand, A pole with a Y on top to lay the cord on. Making something that isn't ugly will be the hard part.

Comment

The SmartPlug does not have the likely to fail weaknesses of the twistlock. It has the durable similarities of the bladed plug that connects to the pedestal. You can do a failed cord replacement with the SmartPlug. I replaced my power cord with a more flexible cord when I changed to SmartPlug. The cord had a molded pedestal plug on one end and wire pigtail ends on the rv end. Just my experience.
                Ted
                2021 Reflection 310RLS
                2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by d2reid View Post

I like tight connections. But my old dog bone and my new Momentum were never tight. There was always some play in the connection. When connected you could grab the dog bone and lift it up and down and get about 1/4 inch play. Without proper tools and only eye balling the connections it appears to me that the ID of the Momentum connection is larger than the OD of the dogbone connection. But it works. Mostly.

The threaded collar should screw down and hold the connection tight.
                  Ted
                  2021 Reflection 310RLS
                  2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Somewhere in all of this RV land of Forum's there is an owner that fabricated a PVC pipe with some fittings that was adjustable to hold the shore cord up beside the connection to the RV, this is a pretty hard item to find when searching. If others recall this or the actual owner finds this post please add the picture of the support.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I also have the Smart Plug after having had the 90 degree adapter for a while and much prefer it. We use our rig pretty heavily and move around a lot and I have had no issues. As far as cord replacement I also carry a 30 amp cord I made up with the same Smart Plug end on it, so I have that for a spare. Also I could always remove the Smart Plug end and put it on the new cord, if the failure was in the Smart Plug itself, then I would use the 30 amp cord.

Another option if you are uncomfortable wiring up your own Smart Cord would be the new cords GD is using. I saw them at the rally, they have a molded 90 degree adapter on them. They might be a better fit. If they also fit loosely you might look at replacing your power inlet on the Momentum (if not going with a Smart Plug), maybe yours is a bit oversized as you suggest.

Something similar to this (I am not sure the brand GD was using):

https://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Cord-A.../dp/B01FZBJ5E0

https://www.amazon.com/Marinco-6353E...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Neil Citro
                      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I use an adjustable shooters tripod to hold my cord up. I know that does not fix your issue but it does keep the pressure off of the cord. Stores easy and works well.
                        2017 F250 Diesel Superduty SRW SWB
                        2020 Solitude 310GK-R

Comment

At 0.6 lbs per foot, 2 lbs of power cord hanging down wouldn't put much stress on the bend or connection.
                          Ted
                          2021 Reflection 310RLS
                          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                            Somewhere in all of this RV land of Forum's there is an owner that fabricated a PVC pipe with some fittings that was adjustable to hold the shore cord up beside the connection to the RV, this is a pretty hard item to find when searching. If others recall this or the actual owner finds this post please add the picture of the support.

Brian
                            That would be me.

Jerry

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4757.JPG Views:	377 Size:	135.6 KB ID:	8679

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4761.JPG Views:	267 Size:	56.4 KB ID:	8680
                            2020 Reflection 273MK
                            2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Lots of ways to keep the cord from separating. I like the PVC model. My Camco dogbone is headed for the recyclers. It did an excellent job of keeping my cords from separating. But the loose fit in the Furion cord attachment has been a bit dangerous with it's loose connection. The Furion Cord I am using fits snut into the Furion cord attachment. When stop roaming for a bit I will build something to hold the cord up.

Comment

Working...
                              X