Converter compatibility with lithium batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converter compatibility with lithium batteries

I am wanting to replace my AGM batteries with lithium batteries. Is my WF8955 converter compatible with lithium batteries? I have a 2021 Transcend XPLOR 231RK

Originally posted by Homerjoeyt View Post
    I am wanting to replace my AGM batteries with lithium batteries. Is my WF8955 converter compatible with lithium batteries? I have a 2021 Transcend XPLOR 231RK
    It will charge the Lithium but not a full charge, it is best to replace with a Lithium compatible charger to get the best out of the batteries.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I have 365 watts of solar panels and a generator (if need). I boondock about 40% of the time. Will it harm the batteries if i stay with what i have? I will also keep it plugged up to shore power at home when not in use

Comment

I do not think that is harms them it just does not bring them to full charge.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

"Will it harm the batteries?" The answer is "it depends". When you say lithium, are you referring to Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) batteries, or Lithium ion batteries. They have very different chemistries. If you are referring to LiFePO4 batteries, the converter will not harm them. But as Brian mentions, they'll never get to a full charge because the voltage is too low. However, you can get them up to 85-90% state of charge with the WFCO converter.
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I am thinking about LifePO4. Will the solar panels or generator get them to 100% charge? I have two AGM 100ah batteries now does it benefit me to get a LifePO4 200ah battery to do some boondocking?
            Last edited by Homerjoeyt; 12-04-2021, 02:23 PM.

Comment

I am thinking about LifePO4. Will the solar panels or generator get them to 100% charge? I have two AGM 100ah batteries now does it benefit me to get a LifePO4 200ah battery to do some boondocking?
              The solar controller should be able to charge lithium and wet cell batteries, there should be a switch or setting to select what you are charging. The generator power will go thru the stock converter/charger so it will charge the same as on shore power. Depending on your usage you may be fine with what you have, if you use more than the batteries you have can handle then you would need to add more batteries. The AGM 100 ah batteries should only be discharged to 50% so with your 200 ah you only have 100 ah of usage. With lithium you can use almost the whole capacity and they hold the amperage longer.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thats what i thought. I am going to go with two 200AH LifePO4 batteries. Thanks for your help

Comment

Thats what i thought. I am going to go with two 200AH LifePO4 batteries. Thanks for your help
                  For more info, see TucsonJim 's Battery 101 presentation in the Electrical channel's Reference Material section.
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                  2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

The correct WFCO converter is an easy swap and is $200. If you’re spending that much money on batteries you should do it right. Shore power, and the generator all go through the converter so the only way you’ll get the batteries to 100% is through solar.

this is what you need https://wfcoelectronics.com/product/wf-9855lis/
                    2022 Momentum 21G with factory 300w solar and generator
                    2022 F-350 Lariat 6.7 PSD
                    x2 206ah SOK LiFePO4 batteries

Comment

Why will shore power through the WFCO converter not get the batteries to 100%?
                      Ted
                      2021 Reflection 310RLS
                      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
                        Why will shore power through the WFCO converter not get the batteries to 100%?
                        Because shore power still charges through the converter just like the generator. The stock 8955 has a charge algorithm for FLA batteries, not lithium. Lithium needs 14.4-14.6v.

Comment

Originally posted by NickinCO View Post
                          The correct WFCO converter is an easy swap and is $200. If you’re spending that much money on batteries you should do it right. Shore power, and the generator all go through the converter so the only way you’ll get the batteries to 100% is through solar.

this is what you need https://wfcoelectronics.com/product/wf-9855lis/
                          Then why change out the WFCO charger if it will not charge to 100%?
                          Ted
                          2021 Reflection 310RLS
                          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post

Then why change out the WFCO charger if it will not charge to 100%?
                            Did you read the link I posted above? They make a switchable lithium model that is directly swappable. The charge profile is different and suited for lithium batteries.

https://parts.unitedrv.com/products/...nt=Catch%20All

Comment

My convertor was replaced under warranty, and they installed this. The timing could not have been better since I just purchased a LiFePO4 battery. This might be an easier solution for you since you won't have to transfer each individual circuit to the new power center. And, it really does charge my battery to 100%.

https://wfcoelectronics.com/product/wf-8950l2-mba/
                              Mike and (RIP Karen)
                              2021 2600RB
                              2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

Working...
                              X