Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this wire in front garage for generator hookup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this wire in front garage for generator hookup?

It looks like a pair of 10 gauge wires with a quick connect but not sure what it is for… I have another pair that are red and black which are for solar panels on the roof.

i read through the GD owners manual and it does no show wiring diagrams and I did two different searches here b4 asking as I don’t like to take peoples time on things I can find my self. Look forward to chatting and learning!

Bob Richards
    31MB Reflection - 2020
    ​​​​​​​Anderson Hitch
    Last edited by Bob R; 01-07-2022, 07:39 PM.
    Bob & Beka Richards
    31MB Reflection - 2020
    Anderson Hitch
    ​​​​​​​F250 w/Godzilla and 10k tow package - 2022

Hi Bob,

I do not recognize that connector, but white wires are usually ground wires in an RV. If you provide more information on which Grand Design product you have, this would help others to help you. If you populate your signature block with this information it will be there for easy reference by all.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks Rob,
      For AC power white would be a neutral, true?
      Last edited by Bob R; 01-07-2022, 07:57 PM.
      Bob & Beka Richards
      31MB Reflection - 2020
      Anderson Hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Bob R View Post
        Thanks Rob,
        For AC power white would be a neutral, true?
        Hi Bob,

Yes . . . white is neutral and black is hot for AC power. Unfortunately, the RV industry applies this "logic" to 12V circuits, using a colour or a black wire for +ve and white for -ve rather than the 12V convention of red for +ve and black for -ve. Where this gets dangerous is that within your RV, a black wire can be 12V -ve or 120V hot. But I digress . . .

Thanks for filling out your signature. This will assist others to better understand your questions or advice. BTW . . . I "almost" went for the F250 Godzilla . . . that is an impressively simple and strong engine. After many years of happily towing with a gasoline engine, I decided to go to the dark side (diesel) because of where we want to travel.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Reflections do not have the option for generator prep. I am guessing that those are just ground wires, they should connect to the frame right under the breakers that are behind the cover in your picture.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks Brian, maybe a way to bond while using a generator?? I will pull the cover to confirm.

Rob,
            The Godzilla is amazingly powerful for sure... I use to have a diesel pre DEF fuel but not interested in all the smog parts covering the engine, practically preventing DIY work on the engine. I do not mind burning the extra gas as I have a $8,500 head start on it. Appreciate the conversation!
            Bob & Beka Richards
            31MB Reflection - 2020
            Anderson Hitch

Comment

Thanks Brian, maybe a way to bond while using a generator?? I will pull the cover to confirm.

Rob,
              The Godzilla is amazingly powerful for sure... I use to have a diesel pre DEF fuel but not interested in all the smog parts covering the engine, practically preventing DIY work on the engine. I do not mind burning the extra gas as I have a $8,500 head start on it. Appreciate the conversation!
              Bob--see https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...on-a-generator That thread may be helpful.

Howard
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
              2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

That is actually where I got the idea from Howard, yes, thank you
                Bob & Beka Richards
                31MB Reflection - 2020
                Anderson Hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                  Hi Bob,

I do not recognize that connector, but white wires are usually ground wires in an RV. If you provide more information on which Grand Design product you have, this would help others to help you. If you populate your signature block with this information it will be there for easy reference by all.

Rob
                  Isn't that connector a Wago connector? Simply connecting the two wires together.
                  Ted
                  2021 Reflection 310RLS
                  2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

It is a WAGO connector, seems a bit overkill for doing that but you are right, that is what it is doing
                    Bob & Beka Richards
                    31MB Reflection - 2020
                    Anderson Hitch

Comment

A Wago connector (with room to easily add more wires) is definitely an improvement over the twist on wire nut often used for connecting bundles of ground wires together.

Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

ok, cool, so it is leaving more room for ground connections for additional items, nice, Thanks Rob
                        Bob & Beka Richards
                        31MB Reflection - 2020
                        Anderson Hitch

Comment

It looks like a pair of 10 gauge wires with a quick connect but not sure what it is for… I have another pair that are red and black which are for solar panels on the roof.

i read through the GD owners manual and it does no show wiring diagrams and I did two different searches here b4 asking as I don’t like to take peoples time on things I can find my self. Look forward to chatting and learning!

Bob Richards
                          31MB Reflection - 2020
                          ​​​​​​​Anderson Hitch
                          Those are ground wires. One of them should run to a frame grounding lug below. They way they connected them is a lot better than the big blue nut they used on my unit.
                          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

ok, cool, so it is leaving more room for ground connections for additional items, nice, Thanks Rob
                            Please trace these wires to make sure that they are indeed ground wires. I would hate for you to connect a ground wire there and have an issue.

Brian
                            Brian & Michelle
                            2018 Reflection 29RS
                            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Absolutely Brian! Yes, curious what it is grounding with the other white wire... When I have time I will know where each wire and water line go but it is good to have an idea o what it is.
                              Bob & Beka Richards
                              31MB Reflection - 2020
                              Anderson Hitch

Comment

Working...
                              X