Electrical routing in bedroom slide. HELP NEEDED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical routing in bedroom slide. HELP NEEDED

I am hoping someone can tell me where the electrical cords run for my bedroom slide lights. I have a 2019 315RLTS and would like to drill a hole through the underside of the storage cabinet over the bed so I can run a CPAP hose through it.

Welcome to the forum Daring to Dream. I'm glad you joined us.

There is not a schematic or map that shows electrical wiring. But there are general methods you can follow to make sure you don't damage an existing wire or find wires that you'd like to tap into.

Since you want to tap into the bedroom slide lights, I assume you have a reading light in the cabinet. A way to access this is to remove the light which will typically have an excess amount of wire available. On most lights, you can pull down on the light which has spring loaded arms behind it. Be careful when depressing the springs to remove the light. They can snap your fingers if you're not careful.

Once you have the light pulled down, you can get a feel for the direction that the wires run. Drill a very shallow pilot hole and then use a probe such as a Phillips screwdriver to make sure that there is no wiring in the way.

Hopefully Howard howson will weigh in. He has a 315 also.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Daring to Dream View Post
      I am hoping someone can tell me where the electrical cords run for my bedroom slide lights. I have a 2019 315RLTS and would like to drill a hole through the underside of the storage cabinet over the bed so I can run a CPAP hose through it.
      These lights?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lights.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	7619
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Welcome Daring to Dream

I installed my CPAP 12V wiring directly from the battery, but from what I am reading you just wanting to run a hose and not power - is this correct? If it is just the hole, I would pull the light (Jim gave excellent directions) and you should see the wiring in the false bottom of the cabinet. There is usually excess so it is easy to move. Now if you wanting to power your CPAP I have posted how I ran my 12v wiring. In your case your slide wiring may be too light if it was just for the lights unless they gave you a 110 plug. The power wiring for the lights should be visible under the slide in a bundle that moves in and out with the slide.

Hope this helps
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

It sounds to me like he just wants to avoid hitting a wire while drilling a hole for the CPAP hose.
          Jim (& Sharon)
          2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
          2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
          The toys:
          2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
          2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

That's what I thought. First look in the light base holes to get an idea of where the wiring runs. Then as the cabinet has a false bottom (about 1/2 to 3/4 inch) and the wiring generally lays flat against the bottom I would start in the cabinet and drill down with a hole drill (one with a center pilot bit and circular hole saw. Set the pilot bit just deep enough to keep it centered and after taping the area you want to drill to control splinters pulse slowly to drill down. Then check below the hole. However do not drill through the lower panel from above as it will splinter badly. Extend the pilot bit to punch through, tape the area and then drill up. The upside to the downside of hitting a wire is the lights are 12V and the wiring is an easy fix.

I don't mean to be condescending here, but I am trying to help folks not make a mess as I have drilling holes in luan plywood. . Also some computer stores carry plastic grommets to dress up the hole if needed.

Now if you want to buy a new tool, some of the newfangled stud finders (they always go off when I walk by ) have many setting and one is for wiring or metal. Not sure how well they work. Hoping Santa gets me one.

Hope this helps
            Keith
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
            X