Victron BMV-712 Smart cable question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victron BMV-712 Smart cable question

So I have the Victron BMV-172 Smart mounted inside the coach on a cabinet just inside the door. I do not get good signal, if any, while traveling. Instead of pulling the whole cable that goes from the shunt to the controller I would like to get another cable to install the controller in the front storage where the shunt is located and is a lot closer to the truck to see if the signal is better while towing. From Victron's site the cable is a "6 core UTP with RJ12 connectors". Is this a cable that is available somewhere in the universe? I have found some places on the web but if this is available at a hardware store I can just go there and get it. Or do I just need to pull the whole darn 10 meters of cable out and try it that way?

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
    So I have the Victron BMV-172 Smart mounted inside the coach on a cabinet just inside the door. I do not get good signal, if any, while traveling. Instead of pulling the whole cable that goes from the shunt to the controller I would like to get another cable to install the controller in the front storage where the shunt is located and is a lot closer to the truck to see if the signal is better while towing. From Victron's site the cable is a "6 core UTP with RJ12 connectors". Is this a cable that is available somewhere in the universe? I have found some places on the web but if this is available at a hardware store I can just go there and get it. Or do I just need to pull the whole darn 10 meters of cable out and try it that way?

Brian
    I think it's a simple telephone cable, but with six wires instead of two or four (supported three lines back in the analog phone days). When I moved mine into the front bay (for the same reason once I had the touchscreen working inside the rig) I bought a short jumper rather than have the whole long cable.

I'm 90% sure this is the one I used:

SMITON Black Color 3FT 6P6C RJ12 Telephone Cord https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M8ZVM96...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Country Campers
      I mounted mine in a deep double electrical box, that way I didn't need a hole to recess it into. There's a double gang cover with a single hole that it fits perfect into.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8FF2389B-87BA-4A70-A446-BE90BF2C1975.jpeg
Views:	697
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	79614
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

Brian
        The cable from the BMV to the shunt is an RJ-12, Brian. I bought a short version on Amazon so I didn't all that extra cable when I installed mine (since the shunt and BMV are close to each other).

Even with the BMV in the front of my 315RLTS, if I'm in the driver's seat I must reach out the window so the interior of the truck does not interfere with the bluetooth signal. I've resorted to checking things at rest stops (when I'm outside the truck and near the camper). In other words, doing all the work to reposition the BMV may not gain the result you desire.

FYI, a standard phone cable is an RJ-11 and and internet cable is RJ-45. (Hopefully that's all correct!)

Howard & Francine
        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Brian,

I have my shunt and meter mounted as far forward as I can get them. But the truck makes a great signal blocker. It's rare that I can see the data on my phone while in the truck.

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
            Brian,

I have my shunt and meter mounted as far forward as I can get them. But the truck makes a great signal blocker. It's rare that I can see the data on my phone while in the truck.

Jim
            I find mine works well enough on my dashboard. Sometimes I need to hold it up between the seats but usually I can get it to work on the dash. I'm usually just looking to see what level they're at and if I need to run the DC to DC charger or not.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
              Country Campers
              I mounted mine in a deep double electrical box, that way I didn't need a hole to recess it into. There's a double gang cover with a single hole that it fits perfect into.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8FF2389B-87BA-4A70-A446-BE90BF2C1975.jpeg
Views:	697
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	79614
              That is awesome, Neil!

Howard & Francine
              2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

That is awesome, Neil!
                Yeah it worked great. I was really happy with how it went.

Neil Citro

Comment

So quick search shows that an RJ11 is the 4 conductor phone cable and an RJ12 is a 6 conductor.

Another quick amazon search https://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-096...s%2C108&sr=8-4 they make up to 50' So technically you could run the cable all the way to the TV if you want.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Thanks Joseph. I wonder what other drivers would think as I am driving down the road with a small cable hanging out of the window, I know the wife would not think it was funny. I think the 7 footer will be the one to get and hope I get a better signal.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Jlawles2

From your link I found this one Amazon.com: NECABLES (2 Pack) RJ12 Cable 6ft Phone Cord RJ12 6P6C Male to Male Straight Wired for Both Data and Voice Use Black - 6 Feet : Electronics

This is for 2 pcs so I will have an extra one, 3 feet is a lot better length.

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

So I actually purchased the above cable, 3 feet long, and it works the same as the cable that came with the unit, happy is me. It came in a 2 pack so I have a spare or one to pass to another.

Brian
                        Brian & Michelle
                        2018 Reflection 29RS
                        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                        X