7 Pin plug problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 Pin plug problem

I have a 2022 Grand Design Solitude. I bought a 2022 F250 and when I connect the 7 pin into the outlet of the Ford a right turn signal warning lamp goes off. But, the right turn signal properly functions I'm told by the dealership of Grand Design in Kansas City. Ford tested it with another trailer and found no issues. I'm stuck in the middle as the investing consumer that didn't build either nor understand what the heck could be causing this. One just blames the other and this is no fun. Ready to sell both as this is a pain in the ----. I almost crashed it backing it up as the warning kept going off and is distracting to a newbee trying to learn. When the brake, right or left turn signal are used it sets off the warning lamp inside the cab of the truck. Anyone heard of such a thing and who is the responsible party? Ford issue or Grand Design? Ford had my truck for 2 days testing it and Grand Design 2 months ( they also were doing a few warranty fixes or bugs).

Thank you for any info on this if anyone has run into it before. I will have to sell these two things as it is not safe to drive a rig like that.

Jeff
    2022 Ford 250 Super Duty Diesel
    2022 GD Solitude 310 fifth wheel
    Jeff, Becky and dog Red
    Grandson Hayes

Originally posted by 60356jai View Post
    I have a 2022 Grand Design Solitude. I bought a 2022 F250 and when I connect the 7 pin into the outlet of the Ford a right turn signal warning lamp goes off. But, the right turn signal properly functions I'm told by the dealership of Grand Design in Kansas City. Ford tested it with another trailer and found no issues. I'm stuck in the middle as the investing consumer that didn't build either nor understand what the heck could be causing this. One just blames the other and this is no fun. Ready to sell both as this is a pain in the ----. I almost crashed it backing it up as the warning kept going off and is distracting to a newbee trying to learn. When the brake, right or left turn signal are used it sets off the warning lamp inside the cab of the truck. Anyone heard of such a thing and who is the responsible party? Ford issue or Grand Design? Ford had my truck for 2 days testing it and Grand Design 2 months ( they also were doing a few warranty fixes or bugs).

Thank you for any info on this if anyone has run into it before. I will have to sell these two things as it is not safe to drive a rig like that.

Jeff
    Hi,
    There is another post with 7 pin problems in 2022's and there is a Ford recall.

Here's the post link which may or may not help you out since it's 7 pin related.

https://gdrvowners.com/towing-and-hi...warnings/page3

Terry
    Terry and Patty (Dogs-Sophie and Tessa)
    2020 Reflection 297RSTS - bought Oct 2019
    2021 F350 crew cab, SRW, 6.7L diesel, 14K equal-i-zer hitch

Comment

60356jai

Jeff,

Get a buddy with a truck to help you test to prove it is the RV or the truck. It does not have to tow it anywhere but must have the 7 pin plug, trailer brake controller would be nice as well. Testing the system on you own will provide you with the best info if you are not trusting either dealer. The recall mentioned above may be the issue as well. If you have the opportunity try and attach your truck to another RV or trailer and see if you get the same results from the truck. Trying these will help you determine in which the problem is located and then you can pursue from there.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Hi Jeff,

You are not crazy, LOL .

I have encountered exactly what you describe with my 2022 F350. Intermittent trailer brakes and the right turn instrument panel light quick flashing with a lot of alarm noise and the truck telling me the trailer is disconnected . . . while all the right side turn signals (including the trailer!) flash at the normal rate. I was sure it had to be the trailer, so I went through everything, added resistors, replaced the connection cord, double and triple checked the wiring connections, measured voltage, measured resistance, etc. Then, I get home from towing through 3000 miles of this nonsense, to learn about the upcoming Ford recall referenced in the linked thread. I have not yet approached the dealer about correcting the software, since I won't be towing for a while, so I don't yet know if this fixes the problems.

Please let us know if this solves the issues that you have encountered.

Rob

Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Jeff, 1st welcome to the forum.

2nd, You can test the camper without towing as mentioned and the second vehicle does not even need to be hooked to the trailer other than the 7 way.

3rd, (not legal in all places and you have to be extremely cautious of turns) can you remove the tailgate and run the 7way to the rear of the truck vs the in bed connection? If the problem goes away, the issues is the in bed plug, if the problem persist you have lost nothing and still need a second vehicle to do the test.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
            Jeff, 1st welcome to the forum.

2nd, You can test the camper without towing as mentioned and the second vehicle does not even need to be hooked to the trailer other than the 7 way.

3rd, (not legal in all places and you have to be extremely cautious of turns) can you remove the tailgate and run the 7way to the rear of the truck vs the in bed connection? If the problem goes away, the issues is the in bed plug, if the problem persist you have lost nothing and still need a second vehicle to do the test.
            The rear 7 pin off the bumper did the same thing so that rules that out. Thanks for the sugegstion.

Jeff, Becky and dog Red
            Grandson Hayes

Comment

This video might help in testing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7uw1Jv1stc You can also do the trailer side to at the plug as a check.

Found another one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-VYf5MltgI
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                Hi Jeff,

You are not crazy, LOL .

I have encountered exactly what you describe with my 2022 F350. Intermittent trailer brakes and the right turn instrument panel light quick flashing with a lot of alarm noise and the truck telling me the trailer is disconnected . . . while all the right side turn signals (including the trailer!) flash at the normal rate. I was sure it had to be the trailer, so I went through everything, added resistors, replaced the connection cord, double and triple checked the wiring connections, measured voltage, measured resistance, etc. Then, I get home from towing through 3000 miles of this nonsense, to learn about the upcoming Ford recall referenced in the linked thread. I have not yet approached the dealer about correcting the software, since I won't be towing for a while, so I don't yet know if this fixes the problems.

Please let us know if this solves the issues that you have encountered.

Rob
                Rob, I had the recall completed and it did indeed fic the problem! A Ford issue.
                Jeff, Becky and dog Red
                Grandson Hayes

Comment

Originally posted by trkester View Post

Hi,
                  There is another post with 7 pin problems in 2022's and there is a Ford recall.

Here's the post link which may or may not help you out since it's 7 pin related.

https://gdrvowners.com/towing-and-hi...warnings/page3

Terry
                  Thank you Terry. The recall did the trick!! Jeff
                  Jeff, Becky and dog Red
                  Grandson Hayes

Comment

I know that GM has had similar issues that they had to debug.
                    The blame game can be very frustrating. We went through this at work between the chassis builders and the coach builders. The solution for us was to get certified by the coach builder to do our own warranty work, that and a cooperative Freightliner dealer made things much smoother. Lots of these issues in class A and C motorhomes.
                    2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Working...
                    X