Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2022 2500RL, Upgrades: lithium, inverter, converter, transfer switch, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by howson View Post
    mepgray -- dig through the Modifications spreadsheet and you'll find plenty of links to threads of interest. Another way is to search the forum. The latter, and more, is detailed in the Welcome Letter. Give both a read and then feel free to start a new thread with specific questions.

Howard
    Thanks for the links to the mods spreadsheet and welcome letter. I'll definitely give them a read.
    Mark
    Current: 2023 GD Imagine 2500RL, 2018 F150 CrewCab King Ranch FX4, Equal-i-zer WD
    Previous: 2013 Cougar 31SQB, 2015 F350 CC King Ranch FX4, 2007 GMC LBZ 2500.

Comment

Originally posted by mepgray View Post
      Thanks Ale for the post and schematic, very informative and helpful.
      Since I new to this site and GD owners family, I'm looking for ideas on how to upgrade our new rig. Since it's still cold & snowy here, the new camper is in winter storage (yeah, frustrating to have a new camper and not using it).

If you have any information/ details about how to redirect the shore power to the surge protect and back, that too would be most helpful. Or, just more pictures to help as I too want to do something very similar.

Lastly, how many panels/ total wattage do you have with your unit, beyond the factory 165W panel?

Thanks,
      Mark
      Mark, I forgot to answer your last question - just the factory 165w one. I did spend 9 days in it last summer dry camping in one location, and the batteries were never below 60%. During sunny days, the 165w easily kept up with the refrigerator's needs (temps were around 80F or so). I ran the generator perhaps 3 or 4 times for an hour or two. We had showers and port-a-potties available so electricity usage was less than it otherwise may have been. I also left it unplugged in our driveway for a week, no problems, batteries ranged between 75 and 90%, with only the frig running. Our latitude is about 46, and there were a few cloudy days in that stretch.
      Ottertail, Minnesota
      2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
      2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

Originally posted by AlexPeterson View Post
        Additional pictures:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220502_131529290.jpg
Views:	1498
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	83821

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220502_131447395.jpg
Views:	1490
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	83822
        Very impressed with the install - especially the battery box. I am in the process of doing something very similar to my 2022 Reflection 303RLS. I have a 60 amp Renogy Dc to Dc charger and 3k Renogy inverter. A couple of questions for you:

Did you disconnect the 12v charging circuit from the 7 pin connector? I will be using an auxiliary switch in the truck to trigger the Dc charger and don’t see the need for that circuit.

is there a reason you fabricated the transfer switch as opposed to buying one?

Thanks

Joe
        2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
        2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder​
        YouTube Chanel

Comment

Jomani Joe - thanks for the kind words! I did disconnect the 7-pin's charging circuit. However, I still have that line terminated up near the area of the photo above so that I can connect my small AGM battery I used for extreme cold towing. See this thread.

Yeah, re buying vs building the transfer switch, it's just the way I am. I also wanted to have it disconnect the converter circuit when on inverter power (hence the lower relay in the above picture). I suppose all the components for this cost around $50, don't recall.
          Ottertail, Minnesota

Comment

AlexPeterson Great idea for a cold weather solution. I grew up in Austin Mn so I understand the cold. Since I am in California now, I don’t expect to encounter freezing temps. I am considering using the charging circuit to power my running lights. I have a backup camera that is problematic with the newer Rams because the lights run off a PWM circuit that doesn’t always deliver 12 volts to the lights. I am thinking of installing a relatively small fuse and tying the running lights directly to the charging circuit.

I plan to use the “inverter prep” circuit in my Reflection - if it is wired like I think, it should eliminate the charge controller when running from the inverter. I guess I will find out for sure when I get everything installed.

Thanks, Joe
            2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
            2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder​
            YouTube Chanel

Comment

AlexPeterson

Wow - very neat work. I am jealous of you wood working skills. On question - with all of the components you added, did you ever consider a Victron Multiplus instead with everything built in, including the transfer switch. I started doing what you did, but switched to the Multiplus midstream.

Just wondering.

BTW where did you source your plywood - looks like solid core furniture grade birch, 1/2" thick or is it thinner? Again Beautiful work.

Keith
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Jomani View Post
                AlexPeterson Great idea for a cold weather solution. I grew up in Austin Mn so I understand the cold. Since I am in California now, I don’t expect to encounter freezing temps. I am considering using the charging circuit to power my running lights. I have a backup camera that is problematic with the newer Rams because the lights run off a PWM circuit that doesn’t always deliver 12 volts to the lights. I am thinking of installing a relatively small fuse and tying the running lights directly to the charging circuit.

I plan to use the “inverter prep” circuit in my Reflection - if it is wired like I think, it should eliminate the charge controller when running from the inverter. I guess I will find out for sure when I get everything installed.

Thanks, Joe
                Joe---the inverter prep in the 303RLS works awesome. I just completed my budget build a few months ago and am quite happy for my low-cost investment. I am able to use all my receptacles including the regular and GFCI outlets from my inverter by using this "inverter-prep" feature. I cannot run the AC units from battery with the inverter prep but that was never a goal.
                40-year Camping Enthusiast
                2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
                2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

Yoda Keith - thanks for the kind words. The plywood is commonly called baltic birch plywood, not solid core, but numerous plies. I get it from a (relatively) local hardwood supplier in Mehahga, MN, about an hour north of where I live. https://www.renneberghardwoods.com/baltic-birch I keep 1/2" and 1/4" on hand.

Re just using a Multiplus - dunno, poked around and couldn't even find a price on-line, so I figured it was probably too much . I've always enjoyed designing my own stuff when reasonable.
                  Ottertail, Minnesota

Comment

Wow! Very impressed. I better hide this from my better half.

Comment

Working...
                    X