Inverter Install 2022 Reflection 337RLS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inverter Install 2022 Reflection 337RLS

I have been following this discussion since it began and have found it informative and fascinating. Like you guys, I have no clue what GD intended with their orange inverter prep wiring nor the two 30 amp breakers in the main panel. When I asked, GD sent me a cryptic message indicating that I should cut the orange wire loop and insert the inverter between the two ends. Not acceptable for a 50 amp trailer.

I have a 2022 Reflection 337RLS and here is what I am doing. I bought the Victron Multiplus II 12v 120/2 inverter, the Lynx Distributer and a bunch of other gear. I have run 6-3 romex from the shore power plug to the front bay for the inverter and then back to the main panel. For now I plan to leave the orange inverter prep wires alone, but would love to get rid of them. The system should end up like several of those on YouTube. Hardest part so far was pulling the thick and stiff romex. Plan on wiring in the inverter tomorrow. Gotta do this in stages because I live in central Texas and its already too bloody hot to work outside in the afternoon.

Mike Strycharske
    2015 Ford Super Duty F-350 long bed
    2022 Reflection 337RLS with Reese Goose Box
    Last edited by Country Campers; 07-21-2022, 06:55 PM.

Neil - thanks so much for the information. That is what I thought but it is great to get confirmation. I think I'll cut one of the orange prep lines and jump to the other 30 amp breaker. Anyone need 30 feet of orange Romex?

Mike Strycharske
    2015 Ford Super Duty F-350 long bed
    2022 Reflection 337RLS with Reese Goose Box

Comment

Hi Brian -
      I thought about that, but after what I've been going through to install this stuff, I think I will leave it for the next owner. There should be improvements in the gear down the road as well. I jumpered the line between the two 30 amp breakers today and all is well. Extracting the orange Romex was way easier than I thought it would be.

Comment

Hi Folks,
        I thought I would chime in and give you an update on what I have been doing to my Reflection 337RLS. I installed the Victron Multiplus II (2/120) unit and it is working like a champ. I had to run 6-3 romex from the shore power plug into the front bay and then more romex from the front bay to the circuit panel in the kitchen. The orange "inverter prep" wire was just not robust enough for two phase 120. I used a short piece of the orange romex to jump the two inverter prep breakers in the circuit panel box and pulled the rest of the orange wire out. The Multiplus is marvelous. It has power assist to supplement shore power when needed (when mooch docking off of 15 amp household service), charges the batteries when needed and seamlessly switches between shore and battery power. This was inadvertently tested recently while we were mooch docking at my brother-in-laws house and someone (no one will admit to it) pulled out the extension cord leading to our rig. Inside, we didn't know because the inverter switched immediately to battery power so the AC kept on running, the TV stayed on, etc. I didn't know until hours later when I discovered that my batteries were down to 63%. Plugged the extension cord back in and the batteries were recharged overnight. You just need to make sure that your cables from the batteries to the inverter are big. There is a lot of amperage getting pulled in by that inverter and even my 2/0 cables got slightly warm.

Comment

Originally posted by strycharske View Post
          Hi Folks,
          I thought I would chime in and give you an update on what I have been doing to my Reflection 337RLS. I installed the Victron Multiplus II (2/120) unit and it is working like a champ. I had to run 6-3 romex from the shore power plug into the front bay and then more romex from the front bay to the circuit panel in the kitchen. The orange "inverter prep" wire was just not robust enough for two phase 120. I used a short piece of the orange romex to jump the two inverter prep breakers in the circuit panel box and pulled the rest of the orange wire out. The Multiplus is marvelous. It has power assist to supplement shore power when needed (when mooch docking off of 15 amp household service), charges the batteries when needed and seamlessly switches between shore and battery power. This was inadvertently tested recently while we were mooch docking at my brother-in-laws house and someone (no one will admit to it) pulled out the extension cord leading to our rig. Inside, we didn't know because the inverter switched immediately to battery power so the AC kept on running, the TV stayed on, etc. I didn't know until hours later when I discovered that my batteries were down to 63%. Plugged the extension cord back in and the batteries were recharged overnight. You just need to make sure that your cables from the batteries to the inverter are big. There is a lot of amperage getting pulled in by that inverter and even my 2/0 cables got slightly warm.
          Nice looking install. Victron recommends that the wire be 2 each of positive and negative of 2/0 wire size, I used one 4/0 for each, this would be why your wires got a little warm when the AC was on. You may want to add another pair of 2/0 wires to your system, also the wires coming from the batteries should be larger as well.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

strycharske

I have moved your posts out from the other thread to keep it focused on that owners questions.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

strycharske I agree with Brian either double up those 2/0 cables or switch to 4/0. I also ran 4/0 for my parallel wires (spec says 2/0 is adequate for that but I had extra), and the feed out of my battery bank to the inverter (via fuse and switch) and the shunt and then to the negative of the Multiplus.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Thanks guys, good advice. But it means buying more cable and getting a hydraulic crimper (damn, more tools).

Comment

It does not have to be hydraulic. Here is the one I have used and it works really well TEMCo Lug Crimper Tool TH0012-8 AWG - 0000 AWG(4/0) DIELESS Indent Electrical Battery Terminal Cable Wire 5 YEAR WARRANTY - - Amazon.com

I believe Cate&Rob and howson have the same. It is always good to have a reason to buy another tool, at least I think so.​​​​​​​

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I use a similar one. I find much like the truck, once I had it all my friends needed to borrow it lol. Another option is to have them made, if you are confident on your lengths. I have a seller like this before, and it was painless.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14277992941...3ABFBMptbu78Rg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

strycharske I am new to the forum and just brought home our 2023 337rls. I was interested in seeing more pictures of your Install/selected equipment. Also, being new to the 50amp power was wondering whether the power assist would still work if the multiplus ii would be installed in the inverter prep configuration. I’m trying to decide to go that route or the route you went.

thanks for your insights,

jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jvennitti View Post
                        strycharske I am new to the forum and just brought home our 2023 337rls. I was interested in seeing more pictures of your Install/selected equipment. Also, being new to the 50amp power was wondering whether the power assist would still work if the multiplus ii would be installed in the inverter prep configuration. I’m trying to decide to go that route or the route you went.

jeff
                        Unfortunately he has not been on since 2022, so you may not get a response. That said there have been several posts here about the inverter prep package and upgrade options. For power assist you will most likely want the inverter on the main incoming line vs the inverter prep line, so I would go that route. I know that WondersAwait has a good write up as well on this process, and his 303 is similar to your 337.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...lectrical-mods

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by Jvennitti View Post

jeff
                          Jeff, I recently completed an installation of the Victron Multiplus II on my 2023 303RLS using the factory inverter prep wires. I have no desire to run the AC off the inverter and batteries so I did not power the whole trailer from the inverter. The downside is the loss of power assist across the whole panel. If you’re concerned about it, you could always purchase the Multiplus II 120x2 but just use the inverter prep wiring and one 120v input and output. That would run every 120v outlet in the trailer. Only thing it will not run is the AC’s, Fireplace and the converter. If down the road, you decide you want to power the whole trailer off the inverter, you could buy the additional 6awg wire and wire in the whole panel. Here is the thread of my install https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...de-2023-303rls
                          2023 Reflection 303RLS
                          2017 Ford F-250 6.7 Crew Cab Short Bed
                          B&W Turnoverball Gooseneck
                          Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel Hitch

Comment

All,

Lots of ways to skin this cat. I started with the Phoenix 1200 then jumped in the deep end and went for the MP2. Rather than pulling the Phoenix I left it in and left it on one side of the fuse panel with all the outlets, so I can run everything to included the outside mini fridge and never have to turn on the MP2. If i want the microwave or an AC, or fireplace, I can power up the MP2. I can run both or either leveraging the inverter prep wires to split the fuse panel and use an inverter on each side. Camped all last year with this setup and provided a lot of flexibility. Amazing what you can learn watching youTube and leveraging the support from all the folks on this forum.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5274.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	127806
                            Attached Files
                            Al and Diane

2022 28BH - (6) Chins 100AH, MultiPlus 2, (2) 100/30CC, 1.4KW solar
                            RAM 2019 2500 Cummins crew cab short bed
                            PullRite SuperGlide

Comment

Originally posted by tbwilliams View Post
                              Jeff, I recently completed an installation of the Victron Multiplus II on my 2023 303RLS using the factory inverter prep wires. I have no desire to run the AC off the inverter and batteries so I did not power the whole trailer from the inverter. The downside is the loss of power assist across the whole panel. If you’re concerned about it, you could always purchase the Multiplus II 120x2 but just use the inverter prep wiring and one 120v input and output. That would run every 120v outlet in the trailer. Only thing it will not run is the AC’s, Fireplace and the converter. If down the road, you decide you want to power the whole trailer off the inverter, you could buy the additional 6awg wire and wire in the whole panel. Here is the thread of my install https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...de-2023-303rls
                              I did something similiar and used the inverter prep circuit. I have no desire to use my fireplace or AC units on battery so the inverter prep worked great. I spent very little on my upgrade of the electrical system and more money on the lithium batteries since we only boondock. I have 560aH of LiP04 batteries and 565 watts of solar. I have a 2000 watt inverter with an auto transfer switch. I can run everything I need hooked to any outlet in the camper to include the TV, sound system, kitchen appliances, hairdryers, and etc...all from my batteries. I spent a fraction of what others have and it works great. Here are some pics. Recently I converted my Starlink from AC to DC and run that off my batteries rather than inverter as well. Lots of options to skin this cat.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Front Compartment Finished3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	206.6 KB ID:	127810
                              Attached Files
                              40-year Camping Enthusiast
                              2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
                              2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

Working...
                              X