AGM vs Interstate Enhanced Flooded Batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AGM vs Interstate Enhanced Flooded Batteries

Anyone with experience with the Enhanced Flooded batter from Interstate Batteries. It looks like a contender to replace my flooded dying batteries.
    2019 310GK-R F350 Mule
    2018 30XP Greyhawk 2015 Forrester Toad

At the price of the Interstate Enhanced batteries, I’d probably go with rebadged East-Penn AGMs. You can get a 31 AGM at Sam’s for $180 though they are only available in the eastern half of the country and supply isn’t great. I don’t see the advantage of the enhanced battery over much cheaper options with similar specs.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post
      At the price of the Interstate Enhanced batteries, I’d probably go with rebadged East-Penn AGMs. You can get a 31 AGM at Sam’s for $180 though they are only available in the eastern half of the country and supply isn’t great. I don’t see the advantage of the enhanced battery over much cheaper options with similar specs.
      GaryNK

I agree with John , except at the price point take a hard look at going Lithium. I have been watching SOK as thier price keeps dropping and batterys improving. Its confusing, but search, read and learn.
      As for the Enhanced Its just changing technology. To compare take a look at the Crown deep cycle line. I am currently running 4 CR 260's, with plans to switch over to Lithium when they need replacing..
      Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Thanks, Despite 50+ years of experience with deep cycle batteries in boating I feel I am starting all over again. So many options and in some cases conflicting information. At this point I only know I will have maintenance free. I have about two weeks to get this done.
        Gary
        2019 310GK-R F350 Mule

Comment

Originally posted by GaryNK View Post
          Thanks, Despite 50+ years of experience with deep cycle batteries in boating I feel I am starting all over again. So many options and in some cases conflicting information. At this point I only know I will have maintenance free. I have about two weeks to get this done.
          Gary
          Check out the Morton's on the Move video (Tom Morton is an Electrical Engineer) that's linked at the bottom of TucsonJim 's Battery 101 thread in the Reference Material channel. Tom goes into much detail and I think with your background you'll like the information provided and it will help you make a decision. Direct link to the thread (again, scroll down the post to the last entry): https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ithium-battery

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
          2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Will a group 31 East-Penn AGM battery fit into the existing battery box? By measurements its close.

Comment

Checked out the video , thanks Howson, Lots of push there for lithium and I understand why As we do no boondocking, the lithium cost might overrun our immediate need and budget I'm not suggesting we never run off the DC, we do for example invert for the residential fridge on the road. The transition would require a charger change increasing the up front cost as well. I'll have to add it all up.
              2019 310GK-R F350 Mule

Comment

Kinda off the subject , but the Sam's AGM are twice the price of their conventional flooded group 27 batteries. I think I understand the befits of the AGM, but for those of us that don't boondock the only advantage seems to be their length of life. Are they really going to last more than twice that period of time as the flooded?
                2020 Reflection 273MK
                2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post

Kinda off the subject , but the Sam's AGM are twice the price of their conventional flooded group 27 batteries. I think I understand the befits of the AGM, but for those of us that don't boondock the only advantage seems to be their length of life. Are they really going to last more than twice that period of time as the flooded?
                  Isn't the lack of maintenance (no water levels to monitor) a consideration, too?
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                  2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

In my case, the zero maintenance was he initial driver toward AGM. I think after the last few days evaluating, it still is. I'm going with an AGM and, after watching the video, not paying that much attention to branding and such.
                    2019 310GK-R F350 Mule

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post

I don’t disagree with your perspective at all. IMO, conventional flooded cells or LiFePo are the reasonable options. But the OP was interested in no maintenance, so I mentioned the AGM. I buy the cheapest batteries I can find for my boat and RV. I routinely get 5 years out of boat batteries and 3 out of RV. Better quality converters would help with the life of the RV batteries.

John & Kathy
                      2014 Reflection 303RLS
                      2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Isn't the lack of maintenance (no water levels to monitor) a consideration, too?
                        Howard
                        I don't disagree, but for me to check water levels 2 or 3 times a year is not a big issue. I do one a week before the first trip and one before storage, and possibly one mid season depending on usage. I am finding with my Crowns they are very frugal.. I do it when I check terminals, etc. Its on my agenda for tomorrow.

Keith

On edit - I am looking forward to the day they wear out though.
                        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I don’t disagree with your perspective at all. IMO, conventional flooded cells or LiFePo are the reasonable options. But the OP was interested in no maintenance, so I mentioned the AGM. I buy the cheapest batteries I can find for my boat and RV. I routinely get 5 years out of boat batteries and 3 out of RV. Better quality converters would help with the life of the RV batteries.
                          I feel same way. Everyone has different needs, and different batteries meet these needs. I'm like Yoda in so far as checking the water levels is not a big deal, but I can see the convenience factor especially if your trailer is not stored at home.

I've also have always got about 3 years out of my flooded batteries, but I recently installed a Progressive Dynamics charger and I feel I might be able to get a little more life by the way it handles charging. Time will tell.
                          2020 Reflection 273MK
                          2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Yes, I went through 11 boats in 50 years and always felt if I got 5 seasons I was good. I went with AGM deep cycles (lower end $ wise) and all is well. Charge is holding at13.38 on both batteries. All in for the AGM's $630 and I don't have to crawl around checking water in somewhat of a dangerous location (fume wise). I do know someone that experienced a blow up, nearly loosing an eye. I would be looking at some $2k for lithium conversion that I really do not need. Thanks to all, be safe, be curious and see ya on the road.
                            2019 310GK-R F350 Mule

Comment

Working...
                            X