Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022 Transcend Xplor 221RB Batteries Not Charging

Hello,
    I'm new to posting to this site and a fairly new RV owner, although I have graced several articles within. I was on hold with GD customer service and decided to bail and ask for help here.

Here is my TT specs and details that I hope you can use to help me with my issue with what I believe my batteries aren't charging.
    TT = 2022 Transcend Xplor (picked up in Dec 2021)
    Model = 221RB
    Batteries = Qnty 2, one=11.78v, two=11.79 (standard)
    Solar panel on top, Furrion Solar Charger FSCC30PW-BL, fan works, green light flashes, amber light on for standard batteries. Battery disconnect switch is in and enabled
    Conv circuit breaker is on, I switched it off, then on

We primary camp with electrical hookup and have not had any issues. This weekend we did not have electrical hookup and were primarily relying on the batteries and occasionally a generator. Prior to leaving for the 4 day trip, it was very sunny and solar panels were exposed to sun for 2 days.
    The first night everything seemed OK, led lights, fridge, water pump, and awning worked fine. The second night the fridge kept cycling on and off, which led us to check the batteries. They were drained.
    We connected the generator up and ran it for a few hours and it seemed to charge the batteries, but not much. That evening the fridge started cycling again and the battery indicator showed E.

The batteries may show a 2/3 charge, but once I turn on a load like the water pump, it goes to 0.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any help.
    Marty
    Last edited by howson; 07-12-2022, 03:06 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling in title

Welcome to the forum!

To get it out of the way, is your battery disconnect switch on?

If it is, the next step is to measure battery voltage while hooked to shore power.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by MartyMenke View Post
      The batteries may show a 2/3 charge, but once I turn on a load like the water pump, it goes to 0.
      Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any help.
      Marty
      Sounds like the batteries are bad, Marty. Easy to verify by taking them to an auto parts store where they will load test them (usually) for free. The clue is the meter showing "0" when a load is applied, but doesn't hurt to get the diagnosis verified.

If they are bad and time allows, great time to consider upgrading to a LifePO4 battery. That also involves upgrading the converter, but in the long term it is well worth the time, effort, and expense IMHO. Since you've "ghosted" here for awhile you're well aware of the many, many threads on this topic.

If you'd like more info or need help searching the forum just give a yell. Also don't forget to fill out your signature line as mentioned in the Welcome Letter to New Members: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

MartyMenke I agree with Howard they’re probably bad, unfortunately lead acid batteries don’t stand up well to total discharge. I’d suggest a shunt battery monitor (I’m partial to the Victron BMV but there are other options). That actually measures the current flowing into or out of your battery bank and acts like fuel gauge for your batteries. It allows you to easily see how much you’re using (or charging) and what percentage is left in them. The factory “meter” is pretty much useless for anything other than telling if they’re dead or charged.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Thanks for the quick response, and I apologize for the late response back. This issue and your comments started a whirlwind of learning for me. I don't think my batteries are bad, hopefully not. I don't think I realize how long it takes the batteries to charge and how much power things like the DC fridge take up. I have since purchased an inexpensive DVM that has a current clamp and I have been monitoring how much current/power my solar panel produces, the voltage level of the batteries (with load.. ie running the jack), and the current draw from the batteries while different devices are running. I'm discovering that my batteries may need to be upgraded as howson recommended.
          One thing I was considering and would like input if someone has any. When connected to shore power, the converter should be charging my batteries, what is the current/Ah supplied to charge the batteries? Could I also have an external battery charger running at the same time to charge the batteries faster? I believe the batteries are SRM-24 (something like that).

Thanks,
          M

Comment

MartyMenke Unfortunately the batteries control the rate of charge (to a point), so running lead acid most likely your batteries take far less current than your converter can put it. That said I believe most are either 40 or 60 amp. That's one of the many benefits of switching to lithium, they take charge far faster so if you're running a generator you can get a bigger converter (or battery charger as you suggested) and run the generator for less time.

That said there's nothing wrong with running a battery charger in parallel with your converter, ideally it would charge at the same voltage as the converter. Just don't be surprised if you don't see much more current going into the batteries that way.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Thanks Neil !!

Comment

Working...
              X