Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) Battery Age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) Battery Age

I currently have three LiFePO4 Battle Born batteries and I was considering growing my battery bank to a total of four. I discussed this with Battle Born, and they recommended against it. My current batteries are over three years old. Battle Born recommends that you not mix a new LiFePO4 battery with batteries that are over two years old. Doing so could shorten the life of the new battery as the older batteries cause the new battery to degrade faster.

If you want to expand your LiFePO4 battery bank, try to do so within two years of the original batteries.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
    I currently have three LiFePO4 Battle Born batteries and I was considering growing my battery bank to a total of four. I discussed this with Battle Born, and they recommended against it. My current batteries are over three years old. Battle Born recommends that you not mix a new LiFePO4 battery with batteries that are over two years old. Doing so could shorten the life of the new battery as the older batteries cause the new battery to degrade faster.

If you want to expand your LiFePO4 battery bank, try to do so within two years of the original batteries.

Jim
    Jim
    What about a disconnect switch and set up two separate banks. Get two new ones and have the second set isolated. Switch between the sets as needed

Just thinking here
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Jim
      What about a disconnect switch and set up two separate banks. Get two new ones and have the second set isolated. Switch between the sets as needed

Just thinking here
      That is certainly an option I'm considering. I could keep the three current batteries as my primary bank, and have a switched fourth battery as a back up while the primary bank is recharging.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie

Comment

This is the logic I use for my (old school lead acid) batteries. Never run on all the batteries . . . keep at least one isolated and fully charged. Comes from my boating days where having all the batteries dead at the same time would be bad news! This also means that my two RV batteries don’t have to be matched in size or age since I switch back and forth to even out charging and discharging cycles.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

TucsonJim -- make the fourth (isolated) battery a "Game Changer" and you'll effectively double your available capacity! (You're welcome--always glad to help a friend spend his money. )

Better yet, sell the "old" Battle Borns and replace with two Game Changers.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
          2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

LOL Howard. I'm sure the holder of the checkbook will have something to say the next time she chats with you.....

But when the time comes to replace the current batteries, that's not a bad idea at all.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Jim
              When I upgraded my system in our new unit to 4 BB + the Multi plus I asked the same question. I think I was in what I call the "second level" of support/tech (guys that actually have knowledge vs reading a script) probably because we were setting up the whole system (inverter, batteries, monitor, etc). He claimed it was more about cycles than age. Mine were 4 years old and I gave him my best guess on the cycles they had been through, he felt I would be fine just adding 2 more.( I estimated high just in case) I was only boondocking a couple of time a year so they weren't going through that many cycles. I tend to believe him since he was essentially giving up a sale.

That being said I sold the 2 old ones and started fresh with 4 new ones. I got about 2/3 of the cost of the new ones back (partially cause I caught the blemish sale they have occasionally).
              Jim & Heidi
              2021 Solitude 375RES-r
              2024 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW

Comment

Working...
              X