What are they doing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are they doing?

I LOVE that GD gave me this wire chart... but it leaves me with some questions. Maybe someone here can help me out.

1. What is Bargman? I mean, I know they make led lights, but why would the need 12v and not just the signal from the 7 pin? Is the 7 pin just used to power a relay somewhere?
    2. Cap lights? Same question, doesn't that power come from the tow vehicle? If not where's the relay?
    3. Where's the power going to the main 12 panel? Looks like the factory "battery" switch comes to here (all the way to the right), and is connected to the converter and the slides? That would allow the converter to charge the battery, but where it says slides, I would expect that to be the main breaker.

Note: A word of caution for those working on DC while the AC lines might still be active. My converter was on the breaker labeled "Fireplace". It happens...

Thanks!
    -Mike-
    2022 Reflection 31 MB w/ Goose Box
    2021 Chevy 2500HD

mallstott

Hi Mike,

Letting us know the model of your RV will surely help us. Check out the Welcome Letter to New Members - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com), it will help you along the way.

The disconnect is not truly a disconnect, there are many items that bypass this. It is best to leave it on when connected to shore power and if you want to disconnect the battery do so by removing the battery cable or cables from the battery.

The disconnect should cut power to the slides so they do not operate while driving down the road.

The cap lights should operate from a switch and not from the tv., the running or marker lights should operate from the tv.

That is a very nice chart from GD to include, I did not get this with our model 5 years ago.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thank you, I'll have to update my signature appropriately. 2022 Reflection, 31 MB.

I know all about the "not a disconnect" as this bus is the not disconnected part... I thought the refrigerator was the strangest part.

I agree on the side, what I'm not seeing is power to the rest of the trailer. I know it's happening. There could be another bus bar somewhere else, but it appears that the disconnect switch comes right back to here. I checked the switch and there's only one wire connected to each lug. When "On" it would allow the converter to charge the battery and power the slide according to the diagram, but I have to think there's a 30-50 amp connection to the main fuse panel.

When you say cap lights, what are you thinking? I'm thinking the marker lights (running lights), are you talking about the led above the pin box? That makes sense. I haven't checked to see if that's active. I think the front bay light might be active also...

I was very happy to see the diagram. I was guessing and had some of them right.

-Mike-
      2021 Chevy 2500HD

Comment

So what I found in my unit is that power from the converter goes to the power distribution panel inside the RV and then from there to the battery/breakers that are in the chart you posted. This means that all of all of that stuff, which would be everything on that chart except the right 2 connections has power all of the time, even with the battery disconnect off. The right 2 items are the only ones controlled by the battery disconnect. In a fifth wheel they locate the converter behind the false wall in the pass thru storage and it is close to make the wire run to the power distribution panel than it is to go the battery and then back, less wire usage. In the new units with the 12 v dc fridge there is constant power to the fridge. If it were to go thru the disconnect and the disconnect got bumped to the off position the fridge would be turned off and that is no good.

The "cap lights" I mentioned was before I knew what model you have. Some have a strip of LED lights on the front cap that can be turned on and off by a switch. The front marker lights will come on when the tow vehicle lights are on. The light above the fifth wheel pin is always powered, I think, there is a switch on the drivers side under the overhang beside the pin.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Okay, that means if the "battery switch" is off, then the system could still be powered by the converter, which is true. That makes sense.

Battery -> Battery Switch -> Breaker Box -> Converter

So the charge is a little misleading... I should have looked at that rat nest a little harder when I was in there, I might have seen that.

Thanks so much!
          2021 Chevy 2500HD

Comment

As each unit "may" be wired different it is important to check and learn how yours is actually wired, so you know where to go or what to do when an issue arises.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I noticed they were including this chard on my buddies 303. Made tracking things down much easier than mine with no key at all.

Sounds like Brian got you sorted out, but I just wanted to say the Bargman is the 12v charge line coming from the truck. The pigtail that plugs into the truck is a Bargman plug.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                I noticed they were including this chard on my buddies 303. Made tracking things down much easier than mine with no key at all.

Sounds like Brian got you sorted out, but I just wanted to say the Bargman is the 12v charge line coming from the truck. The pigtail that plugs into the truck is a Bargman plug.
                Sweet! That's a line I just cut, so no longer needed. I'll tag it in case I need it at some point in the future.

Thank you!
                -Mike-
                2021 Chevy 2500HD

Comment

Working...
                X