Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2670mk Confusion. 110 works fine. Inverter does not.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2670mk Confusion. 110 works fine. Inverter does not.

Hello all, I recently acquired a 2018 Grand Design/Imagine 2670mk. First one. We love it, but I have an electrical issue that I cannot solve. This is a generator/inverter question.

I have a brand new Onan (Cummins) P4500i inverter. Very nice and pretty quiet.

I can plug in the 50 amp shore power line to the 30 amp adapter to a 110 extension cord (I use a heavy duty 10 gauge extension cord). When plugged in to a 110 wall socket at home, no problem. Wonderful (except I'm only a 15 or 20 amp circuit, max...I am limited without a single 30 amp circuit / breaker at home.). So no A/C. But generally operates everything else, including recharging the batteries.

However, when I try to connect either the 30 amp adapter, or the 110 extension cord to the inverter, and connect either to the 50 amp shore power line to the camper...I get nothing. The generator is showing 124v, and on the power draw output...nada, zip, zed, zero, goose eggs.

In a twist, when I plug that same extension cord directly into the running generator, and then directly into an appliance, say a coffee maker or TV, I show a nominal wattage draw, and the appliance works perfectly.

I have checked all the breakers inside the 2670. I have also checked all the breakers and reset buttons on the generator. I took the generator to the local Cummins dealer/service center and they checked the voltage output on both 110 and 30 amp plug...both match the 124v output showing on the readout. So the inverter appears to be working perfectly.

When I then unplug the inverter, and immediately go back to plug in to 110, everything kicks back on.

I am perplexed, flummoxed, confused. The dealer I bought it from is 120 miles away (bad decision, especially when I have four RV dealers here). I just stopped at a local RV dealer, and asked questions..they tried to be helpful, but they too are flummoxed. The sales guy mentioned a "kill switch" that may switch from battery to shore power, but the only switch I can find is the battery disconnect switch in the front pass-through area.

I am thinking that this must be something simple and overlooked. Help.
    Tom & Annie
    Chevy 2500 Silverado 4WD 6.0 liter
    2018 Imagine 2670mk

Hi Tom,

​​​​​​Welcome to our owners technical forum!

Do you perhaps have an EMS (Surge Protector) wired into the feed to your main panel? This device will be looking for neutral and ground to be bonded at the source of the power (amongst other things). Many generators have a floating ground and need to have the ground and neutral connected at the generator. See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...on-a-generator for more on this.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks Rob. I'm learning that this forum is pretty awesome.
      To your question, I don't know. With all the owners manuals left from the previous owner (who traded it in on a 5th wheel), I did find some user info on a SurgeGuard Model 35550. In talking to the RV dealer customer service, they said that surge protectors are usually external (?). Even though this is a multi-state, huge RV dealer, I have found their Customer Service generally useless.
      So where might I find this SurgeGuard? Perhaps behind the bottom drawer in the bedroom, above the fusebox? I see something behind there with lights.
      Time to yank that drawer out and take a look. I'll report back.
      Tom & Annie
      2018 Imagine 2670mk

Comment

Okay, progress. Found the surge protector. This is connected to shore power @110. Now I am going to try to connect the inverter and see what the lights tell me.
        I'll report back.
        Tom & Annie
        2018 Imagine 2670mk

Comment

Hi Tom,

Bond (connect) the neutral and the ground at the generator and the problem is likely solved.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Okay, some more progress. Plugged into the inverter, and the green power light is no longer on. The Caution light is now blinking red, which according to the manual is normal for the first 2 minutes or so. From their manual:

This is normal when you first connect the Surge Guard to shore power. It will flash on and off
            for 2 minutes when you first power it up. Then, if shore power is good, it will stop flashing and
            connect power to your RV. If the Surge Guard has been in use for a while and it starts blinking
            after power has been good, then a fault has occurred with your shore power. This indicates that
            you have an Under Voltage, an Over Voltage, a Reverse Polarity fault or a Faulty Ground. In this
            case please notify your park of the condition in order to correct the fault.

So after 5 minutes or so, I went to go check it...still blinking red, no change.
            I plugged the 110 shore power back in...after about 2 minutes, it flipped on.

The manual does not address what could happen in this case (the shore power is NOT good, was not good under this connection and it does NOT stop flashing red). Also, I will troubleshoot the floating ground and neutral at the generator.

There is an 800 service number from SurgeGuard to call in this situation. At least I am narrowing it down now to the surge protector. Progress. Thanks for your advise Rob.
            Tom & Annie
            2018 Imagine 2670mk

Comment

As stated by Rob, the neutral and ground need to be bonded. Look on the front panel of the generator, it will usually say floating neutral (EMS reports faulty ground). If this is the case, you will need to buy or make a bonding plug (forum search will show you how if you are not afraid of working with electrical components that are not energized).
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

I've found several bonding connectors (15 amp) but am looking for a 30 amp, so that I can run the AC. I'm going to hunt around for both.
                Thanks much.
                Tom & Annie
                2018 Imagine 2670mk

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaTom View Post
                  I've found several bonding connectors (15 amp) but am looking for a 30 amp, so that I can run the AC. I'm going to hunt around for both.
                  Thanks much.
                  The bonding plug does not need to be 30 amp, a 15 amp bonding plug will do the same thing and bond the neutral and ground on the generator.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

MontanaTom Brian and Rob are exactly right. You can make one yourself with a plug from home depot and a piece of wire to jump the neutral and ground pins. Otherwise you can buy one on Amazon. Power rating should not be a concern, no current should flow from the ground to the neutral.
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Now I understand. Thanks to all for helping make this clear.
                      Tom & Annie
                      2018 Imagine 2670mk

Comment

Here is an article by Mike Sokol on n-g bonding.
                        https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electric...onding-basics/
                        Ted
                        2021 Reflection 310RLS
                        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

MontanaTom -- a Reference Material thread on the topic of bonding plugs (with pics): https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...on-a-generator
                          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                          2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Hello all,
                            your recommended $10 solution worked perfectly.
                            It showed up this week, and on a nice cool morning, I gave it the college try. The one I got was the Southwire SurgeGuard neutral-ground bonding plug.
                            I really appreciate all of the tips and suggestions you folks offered. This is a pretty awesome forum.
                            Thanks again.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/South...-p/19-4627.htm
                            Tom & Annie
                            2018 Imagine 2670mk

Comment

Working...
                            X