Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long should it take to fully charge my 100 Ah 12volt Lithium Battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long should it take to fully charge my 100 Ah 12volt Lithium Battery?

Hi,

I have some questions regarding the amount of time it is taking to charge my 100 Ah Dragonfly energy lithium Battery. We do a lot of Boondocking with no plug in and have a Furion 165 watt solar panel on the roof and I purchased a Renogy 200 watt solar which has its own charge controller. I plan to eventually purchase another 100 Ah batter however wanted to gauge the performance of 1 battery before adding a second. I also have a 2200 watt Honda generator for those cloudy days. I was told by the dealer that I could expect to fully charge my battery from a discharged state in 3-4 hours with my generator or plugged in to house power. My converter is a WGCO model WF-8955-AD-GE and it has an a lithium auto detect sticker on the outside. I was told by the dealer that this converter would automatically adjust the charge based on the battery type and is fully capable of charging a lithium battery to 100% soc. When using my generator or when charging from my house power my average charging numbers are as follows (these numbers are with the refrigerator turned on therefor the amps are net of the refrigerator use which seems to use an average of about 5-6 amps):
    During our first camping trip with our new trailer, we ran the generator for 4 hours and battery monitor went from 29.8% to 54% with the refrigerator on. -voltage read 13.5%
    I compared my generator charging time to house power charging time when I got home. I charged battery through the converter with my generator and receive a net amperage of 10 amps and after 2 hours I plugged trailer into house power and receive the same numbers; charging an average net gain of 10% charge/hour. Based on my charging performance to date it would take me approximately 9 hours to fully charge my batter from a 10% soc. I certainly expected a faster charge base on the information the dealer provided me with. I have purchased a voltmeter however not knowledgeable with how to use it to aid me in problem solving my charging issues. Sorry for the long post however I hope there is sufficient detail that someone with experience/knowledge in this area could help me in figuring this out. All comments/advice are very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Henry
    Henry and Lisa
    2022 Imagine 2500RL
    2017 Chev. Silverado Z24

Henry,

Since you have a volt meter, let's make sure your converter is working properly. The auto detect should let the converter know it's a lithium battery. When detecting a lithium battery, the converter is a two stage charger. When hooked to a flooded or AGM battery, it's three stage.

Bulk charging is 14.6 Volts DC
    After 1-4 hours, the charger should drop to 13.6 VDC (Absorption Mode).
    It should not go into float mode which is 13.2 VDC. This is for flooded or AGM batteries only.

Measure across the battery terminals to see what the voltage is while charging. If less than 13.6 VDC, then it may not be detecting the battery type correctly.

Also, I believe you can trick the converter into jumping back to bulk charging mode by disconnecting AC power and then plugging back in. This should put it back in bulk mode for at least an hour. Bulk mode will charge the batteries faster, but you run the risk of some lights or appliances not working well with the higher voltage.

If you don't already have one, here's the manual for your 8955.

https://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conte...anualCat-4.pdf

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

HTLB I agree with Jim. Get check your converter, that's supposed to be putting out 50A. If it's detected your lithium batteries properly, and charging at the right voltage then you should see 50A of charge,which if they were dead should charge it to fun in about two hours.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

HTLB -- this is an interesting read: https://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conte...eration-v2.pdf

What caught my attention was the following paragraph:

In Bulk Mode, it may not be possible to observe the 14.4 VDC output because of the voltage-current relationship. To measure the 14.4 VDC, reduce some DC loads while monitoring the voltage at the converter output. As the DC loads are removed, the voltage will begin to climb until14.4 VDC (nominal) is shown on the meter.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks for the great information. I disconnected my battery and tested the current at the positive and negative terminals ends of the wiring and it read 13.67 volts. Converter appears to be functioning ok. I also check the 40 amp reverse polarity fuses which looked good. I wonder if the Bulk charging component of the converter is functioning properly? Perhaps I received a faulty battery? Maybe I should discharge my battery and monitor the charging cycle with the refrigerator turned off. Any further suggestions? Thanks
          Henry and Lisa
          2022 Imagine 2500RL
          2017 Chev. Silverado Z24

Comment

Working...
          X