No announcement yet.

Solar Charge Controller switching from lithium to sealed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All GD wanted from me was a picture of the serial number on the old unit - most likely to receive credit from Lippert. I emailed them the picture and never heard anything back.
    2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
    2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder​
    YouTube Chanel

Comment

The replacement 50A controller did not have the communications port. It was a slightly different model. It came with a prepaid FedEx return label for the defective unit.
      I never installed the replacement. I sold it on eBay for $160 (and stated that it was an un-tested but new unit).
      Dave & Mary Wichita, Kansas
      2022 Reflection 150 280RS
      2022 RAM 2500 4x2 SB Crew Cab Hemi 4.10 Axle Air Suspension
      Companion OEM Slider set over the axle at 17"
      Leer HF650M Tonneau Cover

Comment

I have 2023 Imagine XLS 22mle that is doing the same. Switching back to the sealed battery. I have the 25 amp version MPPT. I have this evening I think and my 1 year warranty is up. I just pulled the sealed batt and installed a Lithium 100ah. Is there a consensus on what the issue is?

Comment

The new charge controller fixed mine. No problems since I installed it.
          2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
          2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder​
          YouTube Chanel

Comment

Originally posted by RetiredRVer1960 View Post
            I have 2023 Imagine XLS 22mle that is doing the same. Switching back to the sealed battery. I have the 25 amp version MPPT. I have this evening I think and my 1 year warranty is up. I just pulled the sealed batt and installed a Lithium 100ah. Is there a consensus on what the issue is?
            Contact Lippert and they should send you a new controller.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

The consensus is that there is a design flaw in the controller. If you don't get any warranty satisfaction, I can recommend a Victron MPPT. It is currently available from an authorized dealer for about half of what I paid for mine.

It has #6 awg wire lugs, I can set a customized charge profile set for my Battle Born battery and it maintains a daily history. I can see the solar panel voltage, battery voltage and charging current using Bluetooth enroute. I've added a switch at my battery so that only the MPPT is connected to the battery while in storage. I can drive up and see what the overnight low voltage was with Bluetooth and my phone. That tells me my battery state of charge before a trip.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-22 062738.png Views:	0 Size:	315.3 KB ID:	125775
              Last edited by DaveH; 12-22-2023, 08:36 AM. Reason: Spelling correction

Comment

I was reading about the issues involving the MPPT switching back to the sealed battery. I have seen that it does it after the panels stop producing. I noticed today that it stayed on Lithium while it was a clear day even as a big redwood shaded the panels. If decide to change the controller with a Victron, Victron Energy Smart Solar MPPT 150V 35 amp 12/24/36/48-Volt Solar Charge Controller (Bluetooth), would that be correct one? 2023 22mle with the solar set up that is stock.

Thanks,
                Chris

2021 Ram 1500, 2023 22MLE

Comment

RetiredRVer1960

I think the 100/30 shown above in post 36 will do you just fine. Amazon.com: Victron Energy BlueSolar MPPT 100V 30 amp 12/24-Volt Solar Charge Controller : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I was reading about the issues involving the MPPT switching back to the sealed battery. I have seen that it does it after the panels stop producing. I noticed today that it stayed on Lithium while it was a clear day even as a big redwood shaded the panels. If decide to change the controller with a Victron, Victron Energy Smart Solar MPPT 150V 35 amp 12/24/36/48-Volt Solar Charge Controller (Bluetooth), would that be correct one? 2023 22mle with the solar set up that is stock.

Thanks,
                    Chris

2021 Ram 1500, 2023 22MLE

Reading back through this thread, the OEM controller in question is a 50A Furrion (post 3). That value (50A) is the maximum output of the solar controller. Out of curiosity, is the Furrion what you swapped out, DaveH ? If so, why did you go with a 30A replacement?

Don't get me wrong--the Victron 100/30 will work just fine IF the input voltage from the solar array does not exceed 100V. The first number in a controller is a hard limit on the input -- the second is a limitation on the controller's output.

My point is what will "work" depends entirely on the solar array mounted on the roof the rig. RetiredRVer1960 -- list the panel(s) you have and the "right" controller can be verified.

Howard
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson I purchased the trailer from dealer stock (it had been ordered with a solar option). It had one 165 watt panel but a 50 Amp Furrion controller and a 6 awg 12 volt battery connection. I really only needed a 75/15, but that model has 10 awg 12 volt terminals.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveH View Post
                        howson I purchased the trailer from dealer stock (it had been ordered with a solar option). It had one 165 watt panel but a 50 Amp Furrion controller and a 6 awg 12 volt battery connection. I really only needed a 75/15, but that model has 10 awg 12 volt terminals.
                        OK!

For the benefit of RetiredRVer1960, the assumption is this is a Furrion FSFP16MW-BL panel. Looking at the specs, the maximum voltage the single panel will produce (VoC) is 23.12V. This is under the 100V rating on the controller's input from the array.

Will the 30A output of the controller limit the array's performance?

Again, look at the specs. The panel normally operates at 18.72V (Vmp) and under ideal conditions is rated to generate 165W of power. Ignoring all losses in the system (wiring, the controller itself, etc; in ideal conditions and charging a lithium battery in bulk mode) the output voltage of the controller will be ~14.4V. Doing the math, 165W / 14.4V = 11.45 amps. So the answer to the limitation question is "no"--there's plenty of headroom with a solar controller that limits the output amperage to 30A in this specific system. (The 100/30 controller is a good choice as there's enough capacity to double the size of the array is desired. The 150/35 provides even more capacity for expansion.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	191
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	125825

Hopefully what's understood is that the answer to the question, "is {X} the right controller?" depends on the array.

Howard
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

howson Howard RetiredRVer1960 stated in post 33 that he has the 25 amp Furrion controller that is why I recommended the Victron 100/30.

Brian
                          Brian & Michelle
                          2018 Reflection 29RS
                          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

DaveH

Can I take a peak at your array's performance? What I'm asking is for you to use the VictronConnect app on your phone to gather information (you'll have to be close to your camper so the bluetooth connects). Choose the solar controller (if you have more than one Victron device). Click on History and take a snapshot of the screen. It should look like the one below (example from my phone of my system).

Views:	173
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	125829

The Trends view is of interest, too. Set it like shown below.

Views:	140
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	125830

What am I looking to accomplish? My assumption is that an array with a Vmp of ~18V is too low of a value for maximum performance due to the fact the controller does not begin to send power to the battery until PV is 5 volts above the battery voltage. That means, for a lithium battery that is normally ~ 13.2V, the solar controller starts outputting power when PV is >= ~18.2v.

Seeing how your system is performing will be informative. If you had a GX device (and a free Victron VRM portal account) we could dig even deeper into the details like shown below.

Views:	140
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	125831

What I'm specifically interested in viewing is when amperage starts flowing to the battery in your setup (triggered by the voltage level). My system's trigger point is highlighted in the last graphic below.

Views:	142
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	125832

Howard

P.S. Absolutely zero priority on this request, Dave. If / when you can get to it--great. If anyone else wants to post their results (assuming they have a Victron controller) please feel free to do so. Include the array size and specify the controller being used (please).

Howard & Francine

Comment

I'll put this on my calendar and when I get to Texas on January 2nd we can work on it.

Actually I'll take some snapshots just before I leave Thursday so you'll get data without shore power connected. It's in storage with just the mppt and battery connected no trailer load at all.
                              Last edited by DaveH; 12-23-2023, 10:51 AM.

Comment

The MPPT-25A is part of the solar system. 2 year warranty, yes?

Comment

Working...
                                X