Solar Charge Controller switching from lithium to sealed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Charge Controller switching from lithium to sealed

I have a new 2022 31MB and upgraded to an Enduro LiFePO4 200 Ah battery. I switched the solar charge controller to lithium, but keep finding it switched back to "sealed." Does anybody know why this is happening? I have also changed the converter to accommodate the lithium battery and added a Victron Smartshunt 500A/50mV. Any insight is greatly appreciated.
    2022 31MB

GDBobF -- welcome to the forum. When you get a chance, check out the Welcome Letter to New Members here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

My assumption is your 31MB has Furrion 50A MPPT. Can you confirm? (Post a picture of the controller if you're not sure.)

Again, welcome!

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Good Morning Howard. Yes, I have a Furrion 50A MPPT. The pic of my unit is attached. This is my first solar solar setup, so I'm on a fresh learning curve. Thanks!
      2022 31MB

Comment

GDBobF

When the battery was upgraded, what change was made to the trailer's converter?

I'm guessing it's still the OEM provided WFCO. If that converter is still set to lead acid then it's output could be tricking the solar controller into resetting itself back to lead acid. (But it's just a guess.)

Edit: I have errands to run, so ncitro, TucsonJim, Country Campers or any number of other forum members may chime in based on your response. I'll check in later this afternoon / early evening and catch up with the conversation.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

I changed out the stock converter to a Progressive Dynamics PD9160ALV​ when I swapped out the battery.
          2022 31MB

Comment

Originally posted by GDBobF View Post
            I changed out the stock converter to a Progressive Dynamics PD9160ALV​ when I swapped out the battery.
            Hmmm...the Progressive charges at 14.6v and is a well known, excellent charger for a LifePO4.

The Furrion is manually set to Lithium by depressing the Battery Selection button for two seconds and cycling through the options until the green Lithium LED is lit, so there's no "Auto" mode (battery detection).

Is the change to SEALED (on the Furrion) random or at a predictable interval?

What I'm thinking is that somehow the Furrion is losing power for a moment, then powering back up (and after a complete power loss resetting to the default--which I think is SEALED).

If there's no evidence of a wiring fault or any way to duplicate the problem, the only other possibility I can think of is a defect in the controller itself.

Can you post pictures of the wiring and the rest of the configuration? Maybe someone will spot something.

Howard

Comment

Good Morning all. Sorry for the delayed response, we had intermittent internet at the campsite we were at for the last few days.

The problem has evolved and includes the following: The controller showed a red light (fault) at one point, but then resolved itself. I have switched from sealed to lithium setting several times, but it will always (after awhile) switch back to sealed. This has persisted through being attached to 50A shore power, towing, and while not attached to shore power (battery power only). I just tried the following suggestion posted in another forum: Detached the solar, then battery. Let sit for a couple of minutes, then re-attached the battery and set the controller to lithium. Then re-attached the solar connection. It's been about 20-30 minutes and it is still showing a lithium setting (although it does not switch at a predictable interval). I'll give it a few hours or through the rest of the day and report back on how it's doing. I tried to upload a pic of the wiring for review, but the site doesn't like my photos (I'll work on it and upload as able). The electric connections look ok to me (although I am not an expert and only "dad handy"). I switched the converter to a Progressive Dynamics PD9160ALV 12V Lithium Ion Battery Converter/Charger - 60 Amp at the time I upgraded the battery.

​ As suggested elsewhere, I might just cut to the chase and buy a Victron charge controller if this doesn't resolve the issue. I appreciate everyone's time and expertise!
              2022 31MB

Comment

Update: The controller remained in "lithium" mode all day while being supplied with solar power. Once the sun went down and the controller lost power (solar), it reverted to the "sealed" setting. Faulty controller or is something wired incorrectly?
                2022 31MB

Comment

I had a similar issue when the controller was wired backward.

ie: battery to solar input and solar to battery input.
                  Paul & Maja
                  2022 Imagine 2800BHS
                  2019 F-250 6.7 Powerstroke

Comment

GDBobF -- do you know how to verify what glennco has suggested may be the problem?

Comment

I'm having the same issue on my lithium upgrade, very frustration. Everything seems fine, then the next morning the Furrion controller has reverted to the sealed setting. I did replace the WFCO inverter with the latest auto detecting WFCO WF-8955-AD-MBA. Don't know what is going on.

- Eric P. (2021 Transcend XPLOR 200MK)

Comment

I measured voltage coming from the two sets of inputs to the charge controller. Battery is consistent but solar will vary depending on panel, sun intensity, etc

GDBobF does that make sense?
                        Paul & Maja
                        2022 Imagine 2800BHS
                        2019 F-250 6.7 Powerstroke

Comment

Mine seems to be the result of when the charge controller loses solar power, it shuts down. When it regains sun power the following day it re-boots to the default "sealed" setting. I assume that is what is happening. I have not yet figured out how to resolve the issue, but my new Victron charge controller arrives tomorrow.
                          2022 31MB

Comment

Originally posted by GDBobF View Post
                            Mine seems to be the result of when the charge controller loses solar power, it shuts down. When it regains sun power the following day it re-boots to the default "sealed" setting. I assume that is what is happening. I have not yet figured out how to resolve the issue, but my new Victron charge controller arrives tomorrow.
                            What this tells me is the Furrion's battery connections are not properly routed to the trailer's batteries or the circuit is disabled for some reason. There should be no reason not to leave the controller powered overnight via the battery bank. If this circuit isn't fixed the Victron won't work right, either.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Furrion 50A.jpg
Views:	873
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	96866

Comment

I asked Furrion support... they advised (predictably), to do a factory reset by holding the button down for > 5 seconds, or by "disconnecting it from the mount for 5-10 minutes". The factory reset seems to have solved my problem, but I still don't get much help from the limited status available from a single flashing LED. Basically the green lights tells me the sun is up and a battery is connected. I'm replacing it with a Victron.
                              - Eric P. (2021 Transcend XPLOR 200MK)

Comment

Working...
                              X