Sneak Circuit in 2022 337 RLS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sneak Circuit in 2022 337 RLS

We keep our unit in a covered storage area and the last two times we went to use it the battery was dead. I have the battery disconnect removed and we have the 12V compressor fridge turned OFF. There must be some type of a sneak circuit that keeps drawing when the Bat Disconnect is removed? Its getting alittle old, gonna end up ruining this house battery. Any thougbts?
    Last edited by CDoherty; 10-09-2022, 01:31 PM.

Yep. Propane alarm is one. Best to pull the leads off the batteries or install a switch at the battery.

Comment

There are a few things that draw on the battery with the battery disconnect in the off position , propane detector, stereo memory to name a couple. To be sure there is not drain it is best to disconnect the battery cable or cables from the battery or install another battery disconnect switch between the battery and the coach, this is usually done on the positive, red wire, that comes off of the battery before it connects to the breaker panel that is near the battery. The dealer installed battery, lead acid, should last a while if it is totally disconnected. You could add a battery maintainer like a Battery Tender, these plug in to a regular 120 v outlet and clip on the battery to keep it charged while not in use, it is best to disconnect the battery from the coach and described earlier.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

CDoherty -- welcome to the forum. Check out the Welcome Letter when you get a chance as it (hopefully) will allow you to get the most from your time here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

A couple of notes from your Reflection manual:

Click image for larger version

Name:	battery drain.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	96396

Name:	battery 2.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	96397

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
          There are a few things that draw on the battery with the battery disconnect in the off position , propane detector, stereo memory to name a couple. To be sure there is not drain it is best to disconnect the battery cable or cables from the battery or install another battery disconnect switch between the battery and the coach, this is usually done on the positive, red wire, that comes off of the battery before it connects to the breaker panel that is near the battery. The dealer installed battery, lead acid, should last a while if it is totally disconnected. You could add a battery maintainer like a Battery Tender, these plug in to a regular 120 v outlet and clip on the battery to keep it charged while not in use, it is best to disconnect the battery from the coach and described earlier.

Brian
          Brian - I've always understood it's best to disconnect or switch the negative cable. Could my info be wrong?

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Either positive or negative will do the job. One advantage to switching the negative is that when you are working on the positive terminals , saw with a wrench, it can’t short out to the frame.

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Brian - I've always understood it's best to disconnect or switch the negative cable. Could my info be wrong?

Jim
              Either or is fine with me, I usually disconnect both from the battery, negative first then positive as mentioned above. I mentioned positive because all disconnect switches are usually on the positive wire.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I figured there was something that was wired direct to the battery that bypassed the DC distribution and BAT Disconnect, Removing or disconnecting the battery isn't really an option and sorta nullifies my solar charging system. I' thinking of doing some research and figuring out what exactly is direct wired then moving this items over to spare open blocks on the DC fuse panel. Also looking at getting a small solar panel to keep the battery charged and topped off. We had one on our travel trailer and if worked really well. This way I could temp mount it where it would get sun. My large roof mounted panel gets no sun when we have it parked in storage.

Comment

CDoherty

Many of us have added a "true" battery disconnect. I have two disconnects, one that mimics the OEM behavior when turned off and one that disconnects everything. If the trailer's in storage, turning off the true disconnect is the same as removing the battery cable (and a lot quicker). Ready to take the trailer out of storage? Just flip the switch back on.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Regarding the disconnecting of the batteries: my new 303 has a solar package. I’ve gone over the instructions but cannot find how to turn off the controller first. Is it safe to disconnect the batteries while the solar is still sending juice? There is no ON/OFF switch on the controller.
                    Bruce and Michelle - and Callie (GSD)
                    2019 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4L HEMI
                    2023 Reflection 303RLS (purchased 9/2022)

Comment

Originally posted by jbt816 View Post
                      Regarding the disconnecting of the batteries: my new 303 has a solar package. I’ve gone over the instructions but cannot find how to turn off the controller first. Is it safe to disconnect the batteries while the solar is still sending juice? There is no ON/OFF switch on the controller.
                      Not recommended to leave PV going to the controller without battery power. From v5 of the manual, page 3.

Name:	never.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	96643

It is unfortunate GD does not follow Furrion's recommendation to install a shutoff switch (Furrion uses the term "breaker" in their diagram) between the panels and controller (see the diagrams on page 9 of the manual). Most all of us that have installed our own systems have added one. What will work depends on the size of the array (maximum voltage) so there's not a "one size fits all" answer to the question, "Which switch should I install?"

Bottom line: to turn on the controller, it's battery power first, then PV. To turn off the controller, remove PV then remove battery power. (If you remove the PV wires from the controller do so at night so there's no voltage on them, and don't forget to cap them securely!)

If you'd like more information or discussion on that shut off switch topic specify the exact configuration of the system on your trailer.

Howard

Howard & Francine

Comment

Working...
                      X