Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prioritizing Solar over Shore Power in a Victron Setup (Again!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prioritizing Solar over Shore Power in a Victron Setup (Again!)

7 Aug 23 Update: Victron has a new "Solar and Wind Priority" feature! Still in beta, but check it out (link here to Victron website).

WARNING: Messing with a Victron configuration without understanding what you're doing could result in a non-operational system.If you experiment based on what you read here you do so at your​ own risk.

If you're still interested, the attached PDF has all the images that goes along with the text below.

There's a really long thread here that I will close with an update pointing to this new thread. I'm not sure if I missed a key piece of information in the past or if there's been changes due to firmware updates but with the configuration you'll soon read about now works exactly as I'd always hoped--solar is prioritized (when available) over the shore connection and battery power is the last resource utilized. (This is important when I'm home--why pay the electric company when I can generate my own power?)

First, some quotes from the Victron manual for the CCGX snipped from Chapter 8 DVCC that can be found here: https://www.victronenergy.com/media/...t-control.html
    Enabling DVCC changes a GX device from a passive monitor into an active controller.

8.4.1. Limit charge current
    This is a user-configurable maximum charge current setting. It works across the whole system. MPPT Solar Chargers are automatically prioritized over the mains/generator.​

That last quote is what really caught my attention and what set me down the path of (again) testing my configuration.

Page 1 of the attached PDF is a screenshot showing the firmware configuration of my system. I am not sure if firmware versions have anything to do with how the system is performing.
    • The rest of the document captures loads of about ~325W of AC and ~78W of DC. I had one air conditioner fan on high (the AC Load) and two MaxxAir fans also on high (the majority of the DC Load). The document also has the configuration of the CCGX and the configuration of the Multiplus (as shown via VE Configure3) for each specific tested configuration.
    • Please note this post does not document how to do these configuration changes (that's a whole topic in itself)--what this post does is capture the results.
    Page 2 & 3 show system performance without DVCC ("Distributed Voltage and Current Control") and without the ESS ("Energy Storage Systems") assistant in the Multiplus. Note how SHORE is providing ALL the power to the trailer. The PV Charger (the Solar Controller) shows 0W output even though it's a beautiful day with abundant sunshine.

Page 4 & 5 is with DVCC enabled but without ESS. The specific DVCC settings I chose were determined based on the description in the Victron manual. (I could have them wrong.) Note how this appeared to make no difference--shore is still providing 100% of the power required by the trailer.

Page 6 & 7 is with the ESS Assistant installed in the Multiplus (and note the configuration change in the Multiplus) but DVCC is not enabled. Here the PV Charger is providing power to the battery to keep it fully charged, thus there's a 64W output from the solar controller. (This is better than 0 as was shown previously but still not what is desired.)

Page 8 & 9 is with both DVCC enabled AND the ESS Assistant installed. Voila! Almost all power required by the RV is being provided from the solar panels. The 14W coming from the SHORE is to keep the connection active. (This will fluctuate slightly during use.)

Conclusion: FINALLY I have the prioritization scheme I've always wanted. Why? Because PV is prioritized (used first) for power requirements in the trailer, then Shore, then the battery bank. In my previous configuration (ESS utilizing a different mode not discussed in this post) the priority was BATTERY > PV > SHORE. This caused undesired charge / discharge cycles on the batteries. Now the batteries stay charged but PV is used when available--hooray!!! Of course, shore is used at night or when PV is not sufficient for the power requirements but that's OK when at home and connected to shore power.

Howard

DVCC Experiment.pdf
    Attached Files
    Last edited by howson; 08-07-2023, 08:51 AM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

howson Howard,

Is it worth noting the model of Multiplus? Would the new Multiplus 2 have different firmware updates and configuration settings than the previous model that you have installed?

Asking for a friend so he does not screw up his Multiplus 2 (haha).

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Question,
      Why did you decide not to prioritize shore power first?
      Paul & Maja
      2022 Imagine 2800BHS
      2019 F-250 6.7 Powerstroke

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
        howson Howard,

Is it worth noting the model of Multiplus? Would the new Multiplus 2 have different firmware updates and configuration settings than the previous model that you have installed?

Asking for a friend so he does not screw up his Multiplus 2 (haha).

Brian
        I doubt it, Brian. Victron lists firmware available for "Multis/Quattros" without distinction (unless an owner has a much older Multi). The version in my Multi is v497. Any idea what's in yours? ncitro? WondersAwait? Yoda ? Anyone else with a Multiplus?
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Originally posted by glennco View Post
          Question,
          Why did you decide not to prioritize shore power first?
          Save $$. Why buy electricity from Florida Power & Light (FP&L) if the trailer has the ability to generate what is needed? When I'm home (camper is stored in the back yard, plugged in 24/7) I'll leverage the solar installed versus drawing power from the grid.

I suspect the question is from the perspective of someone staying at a campground or other site where electricity is "free". Obviously, in that case, it makes no sense to go through all the hassle. To prioritize shore first, all I have to do is turn off DVCC via the CCGX (simple switch change), reboot the CCGX and it's back to shore being prioritized first. For those with newer configurations, substitute "Cerbo" for "CCGX" in that last sentence.

It will be interesting to experiment at a campground that is experiencing low voltage (due to high demand or just a lousy infrastructure) to see if having solar as the first priority alleviates some of the affect on my trailer (assuming it's is not under a canopy of trees!).

Howard & Francine

Comment

My Multiplus 2 is on v483.

I will have to check my settings to see what the priority is set to

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I doubt it, Brian. Victron lists firmware available for "Multis/Quattros" without distinction (unless an owner has a much older Multi). The version in my Multi is v497. Any idea what's in yours? Wondersawait?
              Version 497 here.
              David and Deana
              2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4, CC, SRW, 6.6L L8T Gas, MYD 6-Speed
              2022 Reflection 303RLS w/ Gen-Y Executive Gooseneck Hitch

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I doubt it, Brian. Victron lists firmware available for "Multis/Quattros" without distinction (unless an owner has a much older Multi). The version in my Multi is v497. Any idea what's in yours? ncitro? WondersAwait? Yoda ? Anyone else with a Multiplus?
                I hate to ask, but how do I check? Does it show on the Touch 50 somewhere? or will my smart phone with Victron Connect pull it up?
                Thanks
                Keith the wise one that lets the magic smoke out
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda
                  Easiest way is through a VRM account (system connected online), but no doubt there's a manual method using the MK3-to-USB adapter and VictronConnect or VEConfigure3.

Not a big deal.

Howard & Francine

Comment

I just read, all of the previous thread, and this one. Lots of detailed information, very well documented. Thank-you for taking the time and doing this.
                    Last edited by howson; 07-28-2023, 10:19 AM.
                    KevinC, Vancouver, BC
                    Multiplus 2 12/3000/120-50 2x120v, MPPT 150/85, Smart Shunt 712, Cerbo GX70, Victron DC to DC 30amp Charger, 600ah 12v lithium, 1050w solar
                    2022 2930RL Solitude S-Class
                    2022 Ford F-350 Diesel SRW with Superglide hitch.

Comment

KevinC

Since 1/2 of the original text in post 10 is actually a problem that's off-topic from this thread, I've taken the liberty to move it to it's own thread. See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...tery-anamolies

Howard
                      Last edited by howson; 07-28-2023, 10:20 AM.

Howard & Francine

Comment

7 Aug 23 Update

Victron has a new Solar and Wind Priority feature! Click link here to read all about it on Victron's website. Note the feature is still in beta so I'm waiting until the feature is more mature before giving it a try.

Howard

Howard & Francine

Comment

I tried Victron’s prioritizing solar over grid… it’s only for charging the batteries. I’m beyond the 10 setup period and, for me, it’s working the way it did prior to me setting this up.

Comment

Originally posted by Jshorma View Post
                            I tried Victron’s prioritizing solar over grid… it’s only for charging the batteries. I’m beyond the 10 setup period and, for me, it’s working the way it did prior to me setting this up.
                            Didn't work for me, either, the way I want the system to work. I still use ESS along with DVCC when I want the MPPT and Multiplus to work like a Solar Inverter. Victron still says "no, don't do it" but I still don't know why. (No, it does not backfeed into the grid. At least mine does not.)

Howard & Francine

Comment

Working...
                            X