Replacing in-wall wiring due to short

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
    I makes mores sense to make 1 wire chase run up the exterior wall then use the air gap in the ceiling as the wiring chase for the various points.
    I don't think 'more sense' comes to mind when RV manufacturers do wiring. Pretty sure they give a guy a bunch of wire and say.."Ok Jimmy...your last job was drywall.....well, here's some wire...you got this...wing it!"

Joseph, Your trailer is the same year and model as ours. Is the awning switch in the slide or control centre just inside the door? Makes no difference to the op, just curious if they changed wiring layouts mid year. I picked up our 303 in Oct 2020. So an early 2021 build, yours is a few months newer.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    2021 303RLS
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Our slides are on the main panel controlled by the unity board. Switch on wall of slide is for the table lights.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Do any wires exit the bottom of the slide wall below the switch location or below the awning arm that has the power? They may be hidden by a trim piece. This will be under the slide.
        Keith
        No, it looks like the wires go up the wall to the ceiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
          Based on how I THINK the wiring in our 303 slide is done, all the wires come up inside the outside wall, then across the top of the ceiling to the ends. From the for wall, the wiring travels down to the switch and back up to the overhead light (or could be awning).

I makes mores sense to make 1 wire chase run up the exterior wall then use the air gap in the ceiling as the wiring chase for the various points. The flooring system is already marginal.

Unfortunately there is not an "easy" way to chase wiring. I suggest removing the over table light and use that as your access point to figure out what's up there. The insulation in the ceiling can either be batting or foam, I would tend to think batting like the ceiling of the main body of the unit. Foam is primarily used in the walls due to the manufacturing process.
          When I took the switch off the wall and pulled the wires, it looks like there is a pig tail from the main 12 volt line coming in at that point. The pig tail has two feeds, one to the switch for the awning and one goes to the lights above the table (I assume). From there, I assume the lights over the theatre seats are daisy chained from the dining room lights. It looked like some foam had been "channeled" out above the switch, so maybe the wiring goes up the wall and over the valance. The wires exit the wall at about the height of the valance.

Its getting too cold here to work on it anymore this year, I've had to close up and winterize. I'll have to wait until the spring to continue my quest. However if anyone reading this has experienced the same issue with their 303, I's sure like to hear about it. Thanks to all for your comments.

Comment

Working...
          X