Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mpking View Post
    Here's what you do.
    1. Figure out how big your generator is (For example, the one howard has is 2000 watts, mine is 2800 watts)
    2. Find an electrical device that is about half the load (or multiples that add up to half the load). I planned on using a 1000 watt space heater
    3. Start the generator, leave it in ECO mode the entire time.
    4. Let it run for a few minutes to come up to temp (per the instructions on the side of the generator)
    5. plug in the electrical device and turn it on.
    6. Once an a while (like 30-45 minutes), turn the device off for a five minutes (leave generator running), then turn it on.
    TY MIke, what you are saying makes sense as I don't know much more than squat about electrical issues. However, since I'm an Electrical beginner,
    I have to ask, did you find
    • Let it run for a few minutes to come up to temp (per the instructions on the side of the generator)
    • plug in the electrical device and turn it on.
    • Once an a while (like 30-45 minutes), turn the device off for a five minutes (leave generator running), then turn it on.
    in the Operator's Manual and/or the Quick Start Guide? Pls advise. Much Thanks.
    Dave and Sue
    2020 GD 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
    Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
    GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
    SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
      So first--the "why". Why did I choose this specific generator?...
      I'll save the operational notes for my next post in this thread. It may take me a bit so if someone chimes in before I get it posted look down the thread for it.
      Howard
      I know this is an older thread (about 4 years), but how is the generator cover doing? These folks make them and have models to fit a lot of generator brands. https://www.gentent.com/

The reason I am asking is after the Colorado Rally I will be boon docking for about a week, and will probably need to run my generators, or truck DC-DC system. I have 2 older Honda 2000i models with a 30A parallel kit (old analog one) I have in the past stuck them under the trailer and run them there when it was raining during the day- I know not good. So I was looking for covers and ran across this thread.

Thanks
      Keith
      Last edited by howson; 03-15-2024, 09:30 AM. Reason: edited quote
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I would add a couple ideas to the conversation. I use the Honda 2000i and love it. I keep it in the bed of the truck, so I don't have to haul it around in the rare times that I need it, I just plug it in from the truck. And I can put the pickup bed cover over it (with the tailgate open) if it rains. Also make sure you use pure gasoline (rec gas). That keeps the carb and spark plugs from fouling, and the generator always starts up quickly and easily.

Dave
        2016 Reflection 27RL
        2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
        B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Howard
          I know this is an older thread (about 4 years), but how is the generator cover doing? These folks make them and have models to fit a lot of generator brands. https://www.gentent.com/

The reason I am asking is after the Colorado Rally I will be boon docking for about a week, and will probably need to run my generators, or truck DC-DC system. I have 2 older Honda 2000i models with a 30A parallel kit (old analog one) I have in the past stuck them under the trailer and run them there when it was raining during the day- I know not good. So I was looking for covers and ran across this thread.

Thanks
          Keith
          Keith,
          I have not actually used the generator other than to run it about every six months just to check it. The cover has not been out of it's case since the test.

Still satisfied with the setup, though I haven't kept up with the latest available products.

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Kinda Ditto. The park that I bought the generator for, electrified 2 years ago. So I haven't run the generator after the initial thread. Honestly, I've run it more for my Wife's Trunk or Tread event for the Girl Scouts.

I used this kit for the cover, and I like it alot.

https://amzn.to/49Z8krC
            Mike
            2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Working...
            X