No announcement yet.

Champion Dual Fuel 2000W Generator Model 100402

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The four 100aH Battle Born batteries in the system were charged to 100% by 4 pm. Thirty minutes for ~10% capacity. (The math is easy to extrapolate from there assuming a linear curve.)
    Hi Howard, I haven't noticed this posting before, I have a comment and a question. I can see why you are such a fan of the Victron, it is amazing what you are able to do with it here.

My question is about the charging characteristics of the Battle Born batteries. Is the charging actually linear? I ask because when I charge my lead-acid Trojan batteries, it takes much longer to charge the last 10% than earlier in the cycle. For example, I charged my batteries recently when they were at 50%, I could put in over 40 AHr running my generator an hour (about a 20% increase, to 70%). The amount of energy going into the batteries will decrease from there. I don't bother using the generator if the batteries won't accept at least 20 A. I wait for the sun to come back and let the solar panels complete the job. So will the Battle Born batteries accept "high" energy input right up to the point where they are full?

thanks,
    Dave

Last edited by howson; 01-31-2021, 05:54 PM. Reason: Fixed quote.
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
    B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

Originally posted by Dave27 View Post
      Hi Howard, I haven't noticed this posting before, I have a comment and a question. I can see why you are such a fan of the Victron, it is amazing what you are able to do with it here.

My question is about the charging characteristics of the Battle Born batteries. Is the charging actually linear? I ask because when I charge my lead-acid Trojan batteries, it takes much longer to charge the last 10% than earlier in the cycle. For example, I charged my batteries recently when they were at 50%, I could put in over 40 AHr running my generator an hour (about a 20% increase, to 70%). The amount of energy going into the batteries will decrease from there. I don't bother using the generator if the batteries won't accept at least 20 A. I wait for the sun to come back and let the solar panels complete the job. So will the Battle Born batteries accept "high" energy input right up to the point where they are full?

thanks,
      Dave
      I don't know the exact rate, Dave, but the lithiums recharge very quickly. Anecdotally they continue to charge right up until they transition to float status. Guest , TucsonJim or ncitro (or anyone else)--do you know the answer to Dave's question?
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

After running the full 5 hours with the various loads for break in I changed the oil and did a battery charge test under full load. While I was changing the oil in the generator I had the air conditioner in the camper running off the Battle Borns to run them down a bit. I started at ~3:30 with 89% battery capacity. I restricted the Victron to 12A from the shore power connection (1440 is the generator's maximum running watts on propane per the manual).

The four 100aH Battle Born batteries in the system were charged to 100% by 4 pm. Thirty minutes for ~10% capacity. (The math is easy to extrapolate from there assuming a linear curve.)

Any questions--fire away.

thanks,
        Dave

I have Lion Energy instead of BattleBorn but the charge characteristics should be similar. I find they charge linearly up to about 98-99%. It's one of the things I really love about them.
        Last edited by ncitro; 01-31-2021, 06:06 PM.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.โ€‹

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I use an AIMS battery (not a sponsor but am happy) and find these batteries will charge based on the charge profile of the charger. So they will accept whatever to pushed to them. Having stated that, its best to use a lithium dedicated charger which will be constant current constant voltage up to the last few percentages where the current and voltage will drop off.
          For Lithium, the best charge input to use is 0.5C so a 100ah battery will have increased longevity if its charged at around 50 amps versus 100amps and which is within acceptable specifications. A 50 amp charge on a 100ah battery from a discharged state will fully charge in two hours unlike the lead acid battery which can take days to fully charge to 100% SOC.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post
            RGEarley ,
            I've only found the 2500 Dual fuel version at camping world, and Acme (Never heard of this place)
            https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools...uipment-200959
            https://www.campingworld.com/champio...or-123244.html

This will probably the one I buy. I can't seem to find anything else by other brands with the dual fuel in this size, and I do not want to lift 100lbs
            mpking Home Depot has the 2500 W Champion online https://www.homedepot.com/p/Champion...0899/315739133

Champion makes 2 models of the 2500, apparently one is specifically for Acme tools (they have limited regional coverage, as I recall north central US; I was surprised they aren't in roadrunner country ๐Ÿ˜‚). The model numbers are different, but the specs are identical, and one is mostly black the other is mostly yellow. At least that is how the question was answered on the Champion website.

Acme tools model: 2500 Watt Dual Fuel Inverter Model #200962
            Rest of the world model: 2500-Watt Dual Fuel Inverter Model #100899

I used to think these big retailers had different model numbers to make it hard to compare apples to apples with the competition. Then I tried to return something I was sure I bought at Lowes; they scanned it and said they didn't sell that model... sure enough I had bought it at Home Depot ๐Ÿ˜ณ
            2021 Reflection 260 RD
            2020 Ford F-250

Comment

I added a MorRyde sliding battery tray to hold my generator. SP60-0042 is the 14โ€ x 21โ€ size I used.
              2021 Solitude S-2930 RL
              1200 watts solar, 3KW inverter, 400 A/Hr LiFePO4 batteries
              2020 Ford F-350 CC LB Crew Cab SRW 6.7L 4x4 3.55

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                So first--the "why". Why did I choose this specific generator?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Generator 1.JPG Views:	1111 Size:	218.6 KB ID:	9963

My requirements were:
                1) Ability to recharge Battle Born batteries if shore power is not available. (I want to "boondock" at Harvest Host sites on travel days.)
                2) Run generator on propane
                3) Small enough for me to lift and store (not run!) in front storage compartment
                4) Electric start*
                5) Run bedroom air conditioner if conditions require it (hot and/or humid with no shore power)
                6) Run in the rain without having to build/create a compartment

*The Champion met all but one of the conditions--it doesn't have an electric starter. It didn't make sense (to me) to buy Harbor Freight's Predator or the small Honda since I'd have to modify them to run on propane voiding the warranty. The cost of the Predator plus the mod kit would have equaled this Champion ($599) by the time I was done. The Honda is double the price before the mod kit.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Generator 2.JPG Views:	1433 Size:	105.4 KB ID:	9962

It also has the ability (as many small generators also have) of running in parallel with a second unit if required. I don't envision that being required but it is nice to have the option.

For the rain requirement, Champion makes a rain shield specifically made for their line of generators. Luckily I received the shield today as sure enough it rained during initial testing!

The cover is relatively easy to install and once assembled is super easy to get on and off. The yellow cover sits on top of the flexible white arms. The black straps wrap around the extension arms to hold the cover in place. Slip off the black straps from each extension arm and the cover pops right off. Loosen the ratchet strap and the rest of the contraption comes off in seconds. Minor gripe is the storage bag for everything is extra, so I have another item to order. The storage bag should come with it cover IMO.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Generator 3.JPG Views:	1010 Size:	84.5 KB ID:	9964

Click image for larger version  Name:	Generator 4.JPG Views:	1015 Size:	51.6 KB ID:	9965

Not a requirement but a "darn" is the generator does not have an hour meter--I'll have to figure out how to add one.

I'll save the operational notes for my next post in this thread. It may take me a bit so if someone chimes in before I get it posted look down the thread for it.
                I can't seem to find the answer to this in the set up or break in portion of the owners manual: during the 4-5 hour run for break in, do I leave it in Eco mode or regular mode?
                thank you woops, entered twice.
                Last edited by Schiefswret; 03-19-2022, 10:01 AM.
                Dave and Sue
                2020 GD 2250RK
                2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
                Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
                GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
                SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay โš“๏ธ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

Comment

thanks,
                  Dave
                  I can't seem to find the answer to this in the set up or break in portion of the owners manual: during the 4-5 hour run for break in, do I leave it in Eco mode or regular mode?
                  thank you. PS: I have the Champion model 200961 model, 2500w dual fuel
                  Last edited by Schiefswret; 03-19-2022, 09:58 AM.
                  Dave and Sue
                  2020 GD 2250RK
                  Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Most Champions have this wording in the manual:
                    "During the break in period stay at or below 50% of the running watt rating and vary the load occasionally to allow stator windings to heat and cool. Adjusting the load will also cause engine speed to vary and help seat piston rings. After the 5 hour break-in period, change the oil"

You want to leave it in Eco Mode. Turning off ECO mode runs the generator full tilt, which means you are over the 50% loading you are being asked for.
                    Mike
                    2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Originally posted by Schiefswret View Post

thank you woops, entered twice.
                      Here's what is in my manual regarding break-in:

Click image for larger version

Name:	notice.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	79539
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

thank you Howard, I've seen in other areas to not put the unit under any electrical load during break in, so, if that is true at all, when it says "vary the load occasionally" and "adjusting the load" does that mean to take it off of Eco mode for a period and then put it back on Eco mode or put it under an electrical load? Sounds a little confusing to me but I'm not all that bright anyway.
                        Dave and Sue
                        2020 GD 2250RK
                        Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

"During the break in period stay at or below 50% of the running watt rating and vary the load occasionally to allow stator windings to heat and cool. Adjusting the load will also cause engine speed to vary and help seat piston rings. After the 5 hour break-in period, change the oil"

You want to leave it in Eco Mode. Turning off ECO mode runs the generator full tilt, which means you are over the 50% loading you are being asked for.
                          Mike: I've seen in other areas to not put the unit under any electrical load during break in, so, if that is true at all, when it says "vary the load occasionally" and "adjusting the load" does that mean to take it off of Eco mode for a period and then put it back on Eco mode or put it under an electrical load? Sounds a little confusing to me but I'm not all that bright anyway.
                          Dave and Sue
                          2020 GD 2250RK
                          Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

The last sentence seems clear, leave it in eco mode.
                            To vary the load, unplug the electric load once in a while to let the generator windings cool.
                            Ted
                            2021 Reflection 310RLS
                            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Gotcha Mike, and this is for Ted also: however, step 5 of the quick start/set up instructions that came with mine says: "DO NOT plug in any electrical devices". Never start or stop the generator with electrical devices connected or turned on. So, in what way would anyone be able to "vary the load, unplug the electric load once in a while to let the generator windings cool." as Ted has advised?
                              OR, am I, or others, confusing the setup / break in procedures with recommended procedures AFTER break in is completed? I'm not sure. Please advise.and thank you in advance for the assist.
                              Dave and Sue
                              2020 GD 2250RK
                              Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Here's what you do.
                                1. Figure out how big your generator is (For example, the one howard has is 2000 watts, mine is 2800 watts)
                                2. Find an electrical device that is about half the load (or multiples that add up to half the load). I planned on using a 1000 watt space heater
                                3. Start the generator, leave it in ECO mode the entire time.
                                4. Let it run for a few minutes to come up to temp (per the instructions on the side of the generator)
                                5. plug in the electrical device and turn it on.
                                6. Once an a while (like 30-45 minutes), turn the device off for a five minutes (leave generator running), then turn it on.

Mike
                                2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Working...
                                X