Sail switch is working but won’t trigger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sail switch is working but won’t trigger

So for a couple days we have been without heat in our 2021 solitude. I checked it today and it looks like the sail switch isn’t triggering. You turn on the furnace and it blows but doesn’t ignite. I then manually press the switch and it kicks on instantly. I let go and the switch slowly drops till it’s no longer pressed closed. I press it again and it kicks on again. So it seems as if there isn’t enough air flow to hold the switch closed. But there is also a strong exhaust smell coming from the furnace that my wife claims she can smell inside from the vents. Is this just a bad switch or what should I check next that might cause this issue? Should I try vacuuming out all the vents?

thank you ahead of time!
    -Thomas

I had something very similar happen to my rig last winter while camped in the desert. My furnace was packed with dirt, dust and pet hair. I turned everything off and removed the outer cover. Then, I blew it out with compressed air. The dust cloud was impressive. As soon as I turned it back on, it worked perfectly. If you do this, consider putting a towel over the air return or you may blow a lot of dirt into the RV.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Sounds like the sw is doing it's job. What Jim says will likely fix it. It's possible the motor/fan is slowing down with tight/seizing bearings but not likely.
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      2021 303RLS
      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
        I had something very similar happen to my rig last winter while camped in the desert. My furnace was packed with dirt, dust and pet hair. I turned everything off and removed the outer cover. Then, I blew it out with compressed air. The dust cloud was impressive. As soon as I turned it back on, it worked perfectly. If you do this, consider putting a towel over the air return or you may blow a lot of dirt into the RV.

Jim
        So did you use a compressor to blow out the exhaust pipes them selves or are you saying everything inside the cover trying to blow out the motor as well? And are you saying put a towel at every vent in the trailer or just the one nearest to the furnace?

Comment

Originally posted by Tdurand29 View Post
          So did you use a compressor to blow out the exhaust pipes them selves or are you saying everything inside the cover trying to blow out the motor as well? And are you saying put a towel at every vent in the trailer or just the one nearest to the furnace?
          I took off the outer cover (after cutting the silicone) then I blew out as much of the furnace as I could reach. I put the towel over the furnace return duct, not the outlet vents. If you provide the model of your Solitude, I can pull the print and let you know where the return duct is if you don't already know.

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie

Comment

I took off the outer cover (after cutting the silicone) then I blew out as much of the furnace as I could reach. I put the towel over the furnace return duct, not the outlet vents. If you provide the model of your Solitude, I can pull the print and let you know where the return duct is if you don't already know.

Jim
            It’s a 378MBS

Comment

The air return is in the middle room by the desk/closet.

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Jim
                Thank you! I’ll give it a try tomorrow or the next day and come back with what I found

Comment

Jim
                  There is also an air return under the steps, at least in my 378MBS it is open to the furnace area.

Rob
                  Rob & Barb
                  2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
                  2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Thank you! I’ll give it a try tomorrow or the next day and come back with what I found
                    On my 378MBS there is also an air return under the stairs to the bedroom.

Rob
                    Rob & Barb
                    2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
                    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Jim
                      are you able to upload a photo of this or what I’m supposed to look for? Cause I can’t seem to find it. All I find are vents that blow out. I’m really hoping it isn’t the motor cause it sounds tougher than usual. I blew it out and no dust anywhere. Not under the steps either.

Comment

are you able to upload a photo of this or what I’m supposed to look for? Cause I can’t seem to find it. All I find are vents that blow out. I’m really hoping it isn’t the motor cause it sounds tougher than usual. I blew it out and no dust anywhere. Not under the steps either.
                        This will not be a "register" or "vent" looking item. What you are looking for is an opening underneath a cabinet at floor level. Look at the base of the cabinet and feel upwards for the opening. This will be at the bottom of a cabinet with draws usually and located near the furnace.

Brian
                        Brian & Michelle
                        2018 Reflection 29RS
                        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Okay yeah I found them under the closet and stairs still doesn’t work though so I’ll probably have to call someone out

Comment

This should be the furnace air return.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	air return.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	125653

If you pull the bottom drawer you should see passage through to the area that the furnace is located. There may be one under the stairs too but it is not called out on the drawings.

Brian
                            Brian & Michelle
                            2018 Reflection 29RS
                            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                            X