Electric Fireplace & burnt wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Fireplace & burnt wiring

There have been a few posts regarding electric fireplace problems, so I thought I'd add mine to the list.

It's in a 2021 Imagine, 2670MK
    Brand: Innoflame, model: RV26D80M-C1

This was factory installed. I don't know what I'm going to do to replace it yet. I'd like to just replace the heating element (because of cost) but if the wiring in the fireplace (not talking about the RV plug wiring) is inadequate then that is another accident waiting to happen.

Called GD and was told the Innoflame warranty was only 1 year, so there is no help from the manufacturer. The GD warranty is out at well.

I searched Google for this manufacturer and found dozens (and dozens) of complaints from other trailer brands, as well as GD. That's why I want to be careful about what I replace it with.
    Scott.n.Tira are from Vegas.
    2021 GD 2670MK
    2012 F250 LB 4wd 6.2

Scott.n.Tira -- thanks for the post. That's a transformer that burnt inside of the fireplace. Bet it stunk up the place when it shorted out.

The "wiring" I reference in threads like this, based on previous posts on this forum and elsewhere, is the 120vAC outlet where the fireplace gets it's power. As has been documented numerous times, the "RV" outlets are not much better than the "taps" that are so well known to cause intermittent issues (an example of a typical wire tap shown below).

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	40.6 KB ID:	128707

An "RV" outlet looks like this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	622.2 KB ID:	128708

I'm not trying to associate the RV outlet with the failure you experienced--not related IMO--but I'd still urge anyone that uses their fireplace for extended periods to consider swapping out the RV outlet for a typical residential one in a suitable box. (Sorry I don't have a pic of the new box -- but you can see the old one below. That's the one I replaced with a metal work box and a standard outlet.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	944.2 KB ID:	128709

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Scott.n.Tira View Post
      There have been a few posts regarding electric fireplace problems, so I thought I'd add mine to the list.

It's in a 2021 Imagine, 2670MK
      Brand: Innoflame, model: RV26D80M-C1

This was factory installed. I don't know what I'm going to do to replace it yet. I'd like to just replace the heating element (because of cost) but if the wiring in the fireplace (not talking about the RV plug wiring) is inadequate then that is another accident waiting to happen.

Called GD and was told the Innoflame warranty was only 1 year, so there is no help from the manufacturer. The GD warranty is out at well.

I searched Google for this manufacturer and found dozens (and dozens) of complaints from other trailer brands, as well as GD. That's why I want to be careful about what I replace it with.
      That is scary. We’ve had 2 RVs with fireplaces, one the cabinet almost got too hot to touch, the other was nice and cool. Manufacturers tolerances maybe? Glad our current one doesn’t have one.
      Rich

Comment

If you're not enamored with the fireplace, replace it with a space heater with the same or less amperage draw and use the left-over space for additional storage. Our space heater fits inside the cabinet when not in use or for travel.
        .. Click image for larger version

Name:	Fireplace Cabinet.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	128717
        John
        2018 Momentum 395M
        2018 Ram 3500 Dually
        Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

On a good note, the metal cabinet contained the electrical fire and it did not start a general fire in the RV. Any electrical component such as televisions, stereos, refrigerators can have a component fail and in most cases it will be confined to its enclosure.

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
          X