Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding 2ND AC to 2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL-Need advice

Hello,
    My name is Danny and just purchased my first RV, a 2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL.
    I am going to live full time in the RV for a few years and explore the USA.

I want to add a second AC since Texas its a must and I need to sleep cold.
    I understand my RV is AC prepped for a second AC in the bedroom.
    I'm looking at a Dometic Penguin 2 low profile AC/Heat pump unit.
    So do I need to purchase a second thermostat single zone to install in the bedroom next to the light switch where I have read the thermostat wires are hidden behind?

Is there an option to upgrade existing thermostat in kitchen to run both units or is it better to have separate to better control bedroom temp vs living room temp.

I appreciate any advice as I am about to order what I need to have a local mobile RV tech install.
    AC unit
    thermostat
    gasket kit
    Is all I think I need.

Danny
    DFW Texas
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL​
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL
    2023 Tremor F250 HO 6.7 Powerstroke

Yes you will need a second thermostat for the new AC, easiest to do.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Dannytexas View Post
      Hello,
      My name is Danny and just purchased my first RV, a 2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL.

So do I need to purchase a second thermostat single zone to install in the bedroom next to the light switch where I have read the thermostat wires are hidden behind?

Is there an option to upgrade existing thermostat in kitchen to run both units or is it better to have separate to better control bedroom temp vs living room temp.

I appreciate any advice as I am about to order what I need to have a local mobile RV tech install.
      AC unit
      thermostat
      gasket kit
      Is all I think I need.

Danny
      DFW Texas
      Danny
      Welcome to the family.

Have you contacted GD customer service? It may be worth your time to double check on the AC prep and thermostat wires. When you call have you vin handy?
      On more thing to check is there a breaker or space for breaker in you distribution panel. Another way to check if the AC prep is there is pull the inside trim ring on the existing vent and see if there is any wiring there.

The real experts (I am not one of them) will be along soon I am sure

Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

For a second AC, you will have to chose "duct connected" or "stand-alone". If connected to the ductwork a wall thermostat will likely be provided. If stand-alone, the controls will likely be on the unit. I have never seen a thermostat clever enough to run two ACs independently. If duct connected, the usual practice is to use the AC in the opposite end of the trailer from where you are, to minimize noise. Unless you need both for max cooling.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Dannytexas View Post
          Hello,

AC unit
          thermostat
          gasket kit
          Is all I think I need.

Danny
          DFW Texas
          Your 27RL should be prepped for the second a/c. Below is a snip from the drawing GD made available to the moderators (I cannot post the entire drawing -- sorry.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	107
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	129064

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
          2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Dannytexas -- forgot to add -- it is likely that wherever there's a overhead light power switch on the wall in the bedroom (on wall opposite bathroom sink?) there should be thermostat wiring. Look behind the switch you might find the thermostat wiring. The other end, obviously, will be up in the ceiling where the a/c itself is installed.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
            2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Just a note you’re not limited to a Dometic, I went with a Coleman in my front because it’s a quieter unit.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

If you are looking for parts cheap and quick, try https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/search...&query=penguin in Houston (only a few hours away I make day trips from south of Houston to DFW airport on occasion). PPL stocks a lot of parts especially AC units from various MFG. Usually have the cheapest prices also.

I keep forgetting PPL has a DFW location also, might want to check them out. https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/locations
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Thanks a lot guys for all the input... I just bought a low profile Penguin 2 15K unit with heat pump....
                  I confirmed with GD that indeed mine is prepped and ready for the AC.
                  I also got a single thermostat for the bedroom and air distribution cover that can divert from ducted to straight down if I need to cool the bedroom fast and not run through the ducted system, its a factory Dometic option...

My camper has a the Ultimate Power Package which is where the "framed and wired 2nd AC" is listed. I also of the Peace of Mind package and of course the Arctic 4-seasons package..
                  Going through a divorce after 28 years so I am going to live full time for a year or two since I am in sales and usually fly around the USA, now I will drive...You can find me wherever it's 75 and sunny.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Dannytexas

Would you mind sharing the where and what you got for the second AC unit?

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                      Dannytexas

Would you mind sharing the where and what you got for the second AC unit?

Brian
                      Brian,
                      I bought a Dometic Penguin 2 low profile15k AC/heat pump new off Amazon for $1600. Plus I got the Dometic air distribution box that is ducted but you can slide a cover and dump directly down into the bedroom if I need to cool off quickly .

I will mainly be in Texas and living full time so I am preemptively making sure I can stay cool.
                      plus with a heat pump I can handle a lot of Texas cool weather without the furnace.
                      plus if one unit goes bad in August I won’t die cause I have a back up. Lol
                      sorry for slow response but I have this set to email with any response to a post but have yet to get a notification

Comment

Working...
                      X