Arctic Insulation Package Imagine XLS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arctic Insulation Package Imagine XLS

We purchased a new 22MLE in early March and found the middle of the trailer cool and bedroom (front) end very cold. The same goes for the floor temp. Cranking up the heat only made the kitchen/bathroom (back) end unbearably hot with little change to the front end. It also seemed to use excessive propane since we had to crank the furnace up to compensate. I had found a few other owners of Imagine trailers on the web with similar issues. I was also quite concerned about water pipes freezing. While removing the underbelly membrane, close inspection indicated what I would consider three key areas for improvement. Insulation, airflow and excessive air leakage.
    I set out to address each of these areas and it has made a marked improvement in reducing propane consumption and providing an even temp throughout the trailer. We were able to test it with a week of camping in daytime highs of 10C/50F and nightime lows of -2C/28F by placing multiple thermostats around the trailer both above and below the floor, including the pass through storage area.
    The materials were not overly complex or expensive, but the install was difficult and time consuming due to the working position and trial / error factor. This would have been vastly simpler, quicker and less expensive if done during construction at the factory.
    A big consideration for us purchasing the GD brand was based on their Arctic Insulation Package which, I found to be lacking in some areas. That said, if you find it to be an issue like we did, there are some solutions I am happy to offer. We certainly didnt intend on winter camping with extended periods of below freezing, but our past experience has shown that certain locations and times of the year, can result in unexpected temp drops that can lead to frozen water lines. We wanted to be prepared for that.
    I feel the issues with my 22MLE are now resolved but I doubt I would purchase another GD unless they take a good look at this feedback and maybe incorporate some changes going forward. It's a great trailer otherwise and if the cost of the improvements added a few hundred bucks to the purchase price, most buyers would have been happy to pay it I expect. We sure would...

Originally posted by RJN View Post
    We purchased a new 22MLE in early March and found the middle of the trailer cool and bedroom (front) end very cold. The same goes for the floor temp. Cranking up the heat only made the kitchen/bathroom (back) end unbearably hot with little change to the front end. It also seemed to use excessive propane since we had to crank the furnace up to compensate. I had found a few other owners of Imagine trailers on the web with similar issues. I was also quite concerned about water pipes freezing. While removing the underbelly membrane, close inspection indicated what I would consider three key areas for improvement. Insulation, airflow and excessive air leakage.
    I set out to address each of these areas and it has made a marked improvement in reducing propane consumption and providing an even temp throughout the trailer. We were able to test it with a week of camping in daytime highs of 10C/50F and nightime lows of -2C/28F by placing multiple thermostats around the trailer both above and below the floor, including the pass through storage area.
    The materials were not overly complex or expensive, but the install was difficult and time consuming due to the working position and trial / error factor. This would have been vastly simpler, quicker and less expensive if done during construction at the factory.
    A big consideration for us purchasing the GD brand was based on their Arctic Insulation Package which, I found to be lacking in some areas. That said, if you find it to be an issue like we did, there are some solutions I am happy to offer. We certainly didnt intend on winter camping with extended periods of below freezing, but our past experience has shown that certain locations and times of the year, can result in unexpected temp drops that can lead to frozen water lines. We wanted to be prepared for that.
    I feel the issues with my 22MLE are now resolved but I doubt I would purchase another GD unless they take a good look at this feedback and maybe incorporate some changes going forward. It's a great trailer otherwise and if the cost of the improvements added a few hundred bucks to the purchase price, most buyers would have been happy to pay it I expect. We sure would...
    So what did you do to improve the insulation? Any pictures? Materials used? This all helps others that may have similar issues.
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by RJN View Post
      Unfortunately the Arctic Package is mostly just marketing hype. Lots of time to be spent with a can of spray foam underneath sealing up holes. I did replace my duct to the bunkhouse with an insulated duct and that has made a big difference in the temperature back there. One thing that I hear does make a pretty good difference, but no dealers ever seem to stock is the dual pane windows.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
      X