Blowing through propane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blowing through propane

We just bought a new to us 19' reflection 31mb a couple weeks ago to live in.
    The nights are getting down into the low 20's high teens and we are going through a propane tank every 2 - 3 days. We added a electric heater to help and that is getting us to 4-5 days now. Is this normal? Our last trailer would last a month + on the same tanks.
    Josh & Cameo
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2012 GMC 2500 Duramax, Anderson 3200

Normal. I can’t imagine getting a month out of a tank. That is probably about what you’d use cooking. Did you have a heat pump in your previous rig?
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post
      Did you have a heat pump in your previous rig?
      No heat pump but the trailer was a travel trailer vs a 5th wheel, 1slideout vs 3, and massive difference in windows.

I more or less just wanted confirmation that I don't need to go looking for a problem. I'm definitely not smelling any propane leaks.
      Josh & Cameo
      2019 Reflection 31MB

Comment

Yes, your usage sounds typical. Our experience even when supplementing with electric heat when highs are in the 30s and lows in the teens and 20s is a 30 pound tank every two to three days. And we achieve this usage by turning the thermostat down to 50 at bed time and a setting of 67 during the day.

I’m guessing your RV has a 35,000 btu furnace. A 35,000 btu furnace running continuously will go through a 30 pound tank n approximately 18 hours. Eighteen running hours over two to three days seems reasonable especially if your are keeping the rig fairly warm.

After saying your propane usage seems reasonable, it won’t hurt to look at the furnace and make sure the vent hoses are securely attached. Might get lucky.

BTW - if you have to pay for electric it may be less expensive to use propane. Some RV parks have electric rates set fairly high.

Colan Arnold
        2016 Momentum 397TH
        Full time since 2016

Comment

It is also important to keep the furnace running in cold climates to keep the belly warm and prevent frozen pipes and plumbing. If is does not get below freezing you may not have to worry about this.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by BarberArias View Post
            We just bought a new to us 19' reflection 31mb a couple weeks ago to live in.
            The nights are getting down into the low 20's high teens and we are going through a propane tank every 2 - 3 days. We added a electric heater to help and that is getting us to 4-5 days now. Is this normal? Our last trailer would last a month + on the same tanks.
            This usage is "normal" for an RV. I can't imagine how you heated one for a month on two tanks! See this related thread for some more numbers on the the BTUs in a tank of propane and how long this will last when running the furnace. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/propane...ne-bottle-size

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by BarberArias View Post
              Our last trailer would last a month + on the same tanks.
              That's impressive! We winter in Palm Springs and have never made it a month on a tank of propane.
              Brian & Kellie
              2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
              2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
              2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
              2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

I'm glad we went with the heat pump. We've been in Julian for a week (cool nights warm days), 7 days in Lake Havasu over Thanksgiving week (cold nights upper 40s and cool days in the 50's) and we ran the furnace once to make sure it worked. I'm still on my original 2 tanks when we bought the trailer in May, and still on the first tank.
                Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
                2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
                2020 Momentum 351M
                2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by OffToHavasu View Post
                  cold nights upper 40s . . .
                  Now there's a perspective from California LOL!. Heat pumps are a good idea if you live in the "above freezing zone". The propane furnace is the only alternative for sub-freezing temperatures.

The gas furnace in my 2000 sq ft house is not much bigger (BTU wise) than the propane furnace in my 300 sq ft Reflection. The big difference is insulation. Although the 1 1/4" thick walls with aluminum wall and window frames linking the outside to the inside, plus 4" of insulation in the ceiling are advertised as "Arctic Package" they really can't compare to the 6"+ of wall insulation, thermal break window frames with double or triple glass plus 20" or more of insulation in the attic that make "sticks and bricks" in cold climates really energy efficient in "near Arctic" conditions.

Let me tell you about testing cars at -40 (C or F) in northern Canada . . . but, I digress . . .

Rob

Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Let me tell you about testing cars at -40 (C or F) in northern Canada . . . but, I digress . . .
                    Our normal low temperature testing in the missile business is -40. I can't tell you how many times over the years a technician would ask the engineering staff it that was C or F...

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
                    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Our normal low temperature testing in the missile business is -40. I can't tell you how many times over the years a technician would ask the engineering staff it that was C or F...

Jim

Maybe I’m a smart Alec, but I’d have just said “yes”.
                      John & Kathy
                      2014 Reflection 303RLS
                      2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                        Now there's a perspective from California LOL!. Heat pumps are a good idea if you live in the "above freezing zone". The propane furnace is the only alternative for sub-freezing temperatures.

The gas furnace in my 2000 sq ft house is not much bigger (BTU wise) than the propane furnace in my 300 sq ft Reflection. The big difference is insulation. Although the 1 1/4" thick walls with aluminum wall and window frames linking the outside to the inside, plus 4" of insulation in the ceiling are advertised as "Arctic Package" they really can't compare to the 6"+ of wall insulation, thermal break window frames with double or triple glass plus 20" or more of insulation in the attic that make "sticks and bricks" in cold climates really energy efficient in "near Arctic" conditions.

Let me tell you about testing cars at -40 (C or F) in northern Canada . . . but, I digress . .
                        Rob
                        Not on RVs I’m sure, but some heat pumps can operate down to -15F now, and have pretty good efficiency down to around 0F.
                        John & Kathy
                        2014 Reflection 303RLS
                        2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

We have owned our Reflection for 3 seasons of camping and I have not filled a tank yet. You guys talk about lows in the 40's or 50's , that's pretty nice sleeping weather round here. We use the electric fireplace for those kinds of temps just to take the chill off. If that don't work pull another blanky on and move a little closer. YMMV

Brian
                          Brian & Michelle
                          2018 Reflection 29RS
                          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

In sub-32F weather, we use one 20# tank every 36 hours (day and half). We keep coach 71F during day and 67F at night. This is two months experience traveling from Seattle to Chicago and staying there for two months. Moved onto warmer climates here in Texas where it is 60-73F and haven't used much gas to speak of except for the propane fire pit. As a side note on cost of gas. Many 20# tanks are only filled to 15pounds, like Walmart, but it is cheapest at $14.95. The best pricing and value is to get them filled, not exchanged. Most places will release the air and fill the tank all the way, so you get 20# for about $17, again that is for a full 20#.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	Library - 1 of 1.jpeg
Views:	1543
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	40711
                            Steve & Michelle
                            2019 Grand Design Imagine 2600 RB
                            2018 Toyota Land Cruiser 5.8L, Curt WD

Comment

So what I am understanding from the responses is head south! Thanks for all the input everyone!
                              Josh & Cameo
                              2019 Reflection 31MB

Comment

Working...
                              X