Thermostat Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostat Upgrade

Has anyone changed out their unit's thermostat? Particularly with something that would be remotely controllable? A Nest?

Would the wiring work with a nest or similar product?

I looked through the forum through all 10 pages and have not seen where anyone has done this.
    2020 Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

https://youtu.be/1UT2DZ1eacM

Comment

Originally posted by bellis View Post
      Has anyone changed out their unit's thermostat? Particularly with something that would be remotely controllable? A Nest?

Would the wiring work with a nest or similar product?

I looked through the forum through all 10 pages and have not seen where anyone has done this.
      Not sure which unit you have but if its a Dometic its near impossible. They used to be easy to swap to a residential unit, but at some point they went to a digital control with only three wires and a control board in the AC unit which splits out the AC and furnace signal. A user had put together a system where he hooked up a smart residential thermostat in series with the Dometic, basically leaving the Dometic set really low or high (depending on if the need was for heat or AC), and letting the residential turn power to the Dometic on and off, but it was a bit of a hack. That was the only solution I ever saw on the Dometic.

My front is a Coleman Mach, and it has a control board in the ceiling as well, but more than three wires going to the thermostat, so it may be possible but I have never tried and have not seen anyone do it.

The Coleman is not a terrible thermostat, albeit not smart, the Dometic is a flaming piece of dog poo that I would kill to replace. The capacitive buttons have failed at least three times in four years (twice replaced in warranty), so options for replacing it are what I have watched closely.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Not sure which unit you have but if its a Dometic its near impossible. They used to be easy to swap to a residential unit, but at some point they went to a digital control with only three wires and a control board in the AC unit which splits out the AC and furnace signal. A user had put together a system where he hooked up a smart residential thermostat in series with the Dometic, basically leaving the Dometic set really low or high (depending on if the need was for heat or AC), and letting the residential turn power to the Dometic on and off, but it was a bit of a hack. That was the only solution I ever saw on the Dometic.

My front is a Coleman Mach, and it has a control board in the ceiling as well, but more than three wires going to the thermostat, so it may be possible but I have never tried and have not seen anyone do it.

The Coleman is not a terrible thermostat, albeit not smart, the Dometic is a flaming piece of dog poo that I would kill to replace. The capacitive buttons have failed at least three times in four years (twice replaced in warranty), so options for replacing it are what I have watched closely.
        Did you see tgordon 's post above? I was not aware of the EasyTouch. Thanks! I may have to look into later down the line.

https://www.microair.net/products/ea...-rv-thermostat
        2020 Imagine 2400BH
        2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

Originally posted by bellis View Post

Did you see tgordon 's post above? I was not aware of the EasyTouch. Thanks! I may have to look into later down the line.

https://www.microair.net/products/ea...-rv-thermostat
          No I missed that. I do remember that Changing Lanes episode, and it seems like a good option, a ton of money for what should be a fraction of the cost at the hardware store for a home unit though.

I suppose for full completeness I should mention that Dometic does make a wireless thermostat as well, but given what a piece of garbage the one that came with the rig was I am not in a hurry to spend more money with them.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
          X