Airxcel Thermostat does detect Heat Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airxcel Thermostat does detect Heat Pump

I recently had the living area Airxcel thermostat replaced because the backlight was no longer working. The new Airxcel thermostat is p/n 9630.336 which appears to be the correct one for a Coleman Mach heat pump. As cooler weather moved in, I noticed the thermostat does not cycle through HEAT Electric and HEAT Gas like my old thermostat did. It only shows a generic HEAT and the gas furnace works fine on this setting. Is there anything I can do to reboot the thermostat and get it to see the heat pump function? Airxcel application and installation guide is of no help and they have not replied to an email. All the wires in the back of the thermostat appear to be connected correctly. The Heat Pump worked fine on my old thermostat. I feel the Heat Pump and thermostat wiring are good, but possibly something wasn't done during installation to get it to see the heat pump. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Hi Joe - Is the 9630.336 a blue-tooth compatible thermostat? And if so, have you paired it with your phone yet?
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
      Hi Joe - Is the 9630.336 a blue-tooth compatible thermostat? And if so, have you paired it with your phone yet?
      No, it is not a blue tooth compatible thermostat. Wish it was. Sure would be nice to heat up the camper from my nice warm bed before I get up.

Comment

Originally posted by Joesmainship View Post
        ...Pump worked fine on my old thermostat. I feel the Heat Pump and thermostat wiring are good, but possibly something wasn't done during installation to get it to see the heat pump. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
        What yr & model GD trailer?
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Joesmainship -- if you'll provide GDRV-Megan with the last six numbers of your VIN she will be able to pull a "build sheet" that will tell us the Coleman installed in your camper. Knowing that will help a LOT with figuring out the wiring. (Sorry I didn't respond sooner--I was traveling today.)
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
            Joesmainship -- if you'll provide GDRV-Megan with the last six numbers of your VIN she will be able to pull a "build sheet" that will tell us the Coleman installed in your camper. Knowing that will help a LOT with figuring out the wiring. (Sorry I didn't respond sooner--I was traveling today.)
            Thanks, Howard. The VIN of my 2017 Solitude 384GK-R is 573FS4225H1108090. I have two thermostats. The bedroom T-stat is a 9430 series cool only application. The one I am having the issue with is the kitchen/living area thermostat. Having the original part number it came from the factory with will be helpful. It should be a 9630 series and the last three digits should be 335, 336, or 337. The one they recently installed is a 9630-336. I can't help but wonder if there is a way to program these little t-stats to get them to see the heat pump.

Comment

Thanks, Howard. The VIN of my 2017 Solitude 384GK-R is 573FS4225H1108090. I have two thermostats. The bedroom T-stat is a 9430 series cool only application. The one I am having the issue with is the kitchen/living area thermostat. Having the original part number it came from the factory with will be helpful. It should be a 9630 series and the last three digits should be 335, 336, or 337. The one they recently installed is a 9630-336. I can't help but wonder if there is a way to program these little t-stats to get them to see the heat pump.
              GDRV-Megan (or GDRV-Emily if you're back!)--based on Joe's VIN I'm looking for the exact make and model Coleman A/Cs (both main and bedroom) that were installed in his Solitude. I *assume* the build sheet shows that info! Edit: Also, the thermostats installed if the sheet goes into that much detail. (Thanks!)

Joesmainship -- I'm in Elkhart and will be at the GD Customer Service counter tomorrow morning. Hopefully I won't forget, but I'll ask the folks there the same question.
              Last edited by howson; 11-14-2019, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Joesmainship

At the top of this page there's a link to the GD Parts Lookup website. When I looked at the HVAC listings for a 2017 Solitude 384GK, the OEM thermostat is a 9430-338. https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...s/detail/29873

Do you still have the old thermostat? If "yes", can you take a picture of the back?

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                  Joesmainship

At the top of this page there's a link to the GD Parts Lookup website. When I looked at the HVAC listings for a 2017 Solitude 384GK, the OEM thermostat is a 9430-338. https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...s/detail/29873

Do you still have the old thermostat? If "yes", can you take a picture of the back?
                  The 9430-338 thermostat would be the stock one for a heat/cool application without a heat pump. I do not have the old one. The dealer kept it when they replaced it. Wish I did have it. The dealer replaced my old thermostat with a 9630-336. I'm assuming they order the same one that was in there but I can't be sure of that.
                  Last edited by Joesmainship; 11-14-2019, 10:17 PM.

Comment

The 9430-338 thermostat would be the stock one for a heat/cool application without a heat pump. I do not have the old one. The dealer kept it when they replaced it. Wish I did have it. The dealer replaced my old thermostat with a 9630-336. I'm assuming they order the same one that was in there but I can't be sure of that.
                    Joe--we'll have to wait for GDRV-Megan or GDRV-Emily to get us the info (model #) of your Coleman unit. I *assume* the unit came with your trailer and wasn't added by the dealer or any other aftermarket installer?

Comment

That does look like the right model number. My guess would be it’s defective or maybe mislabeled at Coleman when it was packaged.

Neil Citro
                      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I recently had the living area Airxcel thermostat replaced because the backlight was no longer working. The new Airxcel thermostat is p/n 9630.336 which appears to be the correct one for a Coleman Mach heat pump. As cooler weather moved in, I noticed the thermostat does not cycle through HEAT Electric and HEAT Gas like my old thermostat did. It only shows a generic HEAT and the gas furnace works fine on this setting. Is there anything I can do to reboot the thermostat and get it to see the heat pump function? Airxcel application and installation guide is of no help and they have not replied to an email. All the wires in the back of the thermostat appear to be connected correctly. The Heat Pump worked fine on my old thermostat. I feel the Heat Pump and thermostat wiring are good, but possibly something wasn't done during installation to get it to see the heat pump. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
                        I've just checked our 9630 thermostat for you and it's wired as yours is.

I've also just confirmed that ours does still show the Heat - ELEC heat option even though we're in near-freezing temps where the heat pump (by design) doesn't even try to fire up when Heat - ELEC is activated... it just goes straight to the gas furnace.

It seems that you've ruled out most of the likely possibilities with your thoughtful investigation. I can't find a hint anywhere that you have to program the thermostat to make it aware of the heat pump (in fact I'd guess that if you didn't have a heat pump it would still offer the ELEC setting option). So like @nctro suspicion of "defective" is high here.

Good luck.
                        Last edited by boyscout; 11-15-2019, 01:27 PM.
                        Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

howson Joesmainship I am going to pull that info for you if you still need it... Please let me know. SO sorry for delay. I was out on vacation and GDRV-Megan was in training all week!

Comment

Originally posted by GDRV-Emily View Post
                            howson Joesmainship I am going to pull that info for you if you still need it... Please let me know. SO sorry for delay. I was out on vacation and GDRV-Megan was in training all week!
                            Emily--yes, (please) I'd like to know the model of his unit when you get a chance. I think we're all convinced it's a defective thermostat, but the wire colors shown in his picture are mystifying. Knowing the actual unit will allow me to consult a wiring diagram to confirm everything is correct.

Thanks!

Comment

howson basend on the appliance sheet here is the info. Hope it translates OK for you!

AIR CONDITIONER W/ HEAT PUMP COLEMAN 48004-869 170111568
                              AIR CONDITIONER, BEDROOM COLEMAN MACH 15 48254C869
                              AIR CONDITIONER, LIVING ROOM COLEMAN MACH 15 48254C869 170112300

Comment

Working...
                              X