2022 Furnace Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by howson View Post

I confused the water heater with the furnace -- the DSI light is associated with the water heater, not the furnace. (Oops) The furnace does goes into a "lockout" if it tries three times without lighting, so it could very well have been associated with the propane container. Cycling the thermostat off and on should have had the same effect as pulling the fuse.
    Haha, I thought that was a tad mixed up, but I understood where you were going.

Thinking back, I missed a valuable troubleshooting step because I never did try cycling the thermostat off and on, I only tried increasing the temp setting because the thermostat readout was still on.

Thanks all and I think it's all good.
    Paul and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

In an ASME tank...that could be true. (ASME tanks are typically in motorhomes.) For DOT cylinders (what we use in our trailers) the safety valve (the valve I *think* you're referencing) is in the pigtail not the cylinder itself. For those that don't know that term, the "pigtail" is the large knob and hose connection between the cylinder and two-stage regulator.

Arrow below points to the valve I'm referencing that's in the pigtail. (Before I went to the school I had no idea it was in the pigtail!)

Click image for larger version

Name:	valve in pigtail.JPG
Views:	1109
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	73241
      I had not heard of a valve in the pigtail? I thought the valve was part of the tank manual valve and the pigtail merely had to depress the corresponding valve part attached to the tank. The nipple you have an arrow pointing out being the part that interacts with the tank valve. That way without the pigtail attached, no gas would flow. Am I mixed up on how it works?
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      2021 303RLS
      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post

I had not heard of a valve in the pigtail? I thought the valve was part of the tank manual valve and the pigtail merely had to depress the corresponding valve part attached to the tank. The nipple you have an arrow pointing out being the part that interacts with the tank valve. That way without the pigtail attached, no gas would flow. Am I mixed up on how it works?
        Only in the ASME tank is the "excess flow check valve" in the tank. The reason is the tank stays with the vehicle it's mounted in.

DOT cylinders can move from place to place, so the valve is in the pigtail (which stays with the vehicle). At least that's how it was explained to me.

The drawing below is a rough sketch from presentations I saved from school. Note the "excess flow check ball" (what we're calling a "safety valve") is in the pigtail. The guide probe pushes on the back-check seal in the cylinder which allows propane vapor to flow.

Howard

Click image for larger version

Name:	parts from cylinder.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	73249
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I think there are a couple of different things that happen in the portable cylinder valves. There is a standard no hook up check, an OFPD (over fill protection device), and a flow check. If for some reason the flow exceeds a set value (they highest for all types of pigtails) the flow check will close shutting off the flow.

Interesting that they put a flow check in the pigtail. I can see this being to prevent excess flow for the system (remember there are 3 - 4 different colored pigtails).
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

The valve on the cylinder (tank) is used for both filling and delivering the LPG. Thus, it has to be able to open sufficiently for a high flow rate (filling the cylinder) when connected using the internal left hand thread that depresses and opens the check valve internal to the cylinder. The external right hand thread (a relatively recent invention) clamps an excess flow mechanism in the "pigtail hose" to the cylinder valve, depressing and opening the check valve internal to the cylinder. The excess flow valve has to be sized for and part of the RV/grill/heater/whatever . . . not part of the interchangeable cylinder(s).

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
              an excess flow mechanism in the "pigtail hose" to the cylinder valve, depressing and opening the check valve internal to the cylinder. The excess flow valve has to be sized for and part of the RV/grill/heater/whatever . . . not part of the interchangeable cylinder(s).
              Rob
              Learned something new again thanks to Dr Howson and Peng Rob. While I have never had to replace a trailer lp pigtail, but from what you say they come in different flow rates? So if I do have to replace one there must be a rating printed on it somewhere? Or is this what Joe referred to with the different colours? I thought different colours were just different brands.....

So much to know and learn just to live in a box on wheels...
              2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
              2021 303RLS
              Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

There are differences that the colors reference for the Type 1 Propane connectors based on the spring tension and flow rate. The light green connectors are rated for Rated for 200,000 Btu per hour. The black are rated for 70,000-100,000 Btu per hour. The dark green are rated for 450,000-500,000 Btu per hour. The Red connector is the strongest spring and is often used for high pressure adapters and T-fittings.
                Ted
                2021 Reflection 310RLS
                2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Curious what month the propane bottles were filled? And if there have been large temp changes outside recently.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                    Curious what month the propane bottles were filled? And if there have been large temp changes outside recently.

Jim
                    Jim I'm not exactly sure if you're asking me but the tanks were filled by the dealer when we picked the trailer up in Salt Lake City in mid-October. Temps here in San Diego don't fluctuate radically but we at the coolest time of the year starting a few weeks ago. I believe my entire problem here was that the tank was empty, I did not have the second tan valve turned on (I never do) and I just failed to recognize it as I was troubleshooting why the furnace wouldn't run.

I'll test it out again when we go beach camping later this month.
                    Paul and Deb Cervone
                    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
                    2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Paul & Deb View Post

Jim I'm not exactly sure if you're asking me but the tanks were filled by the dealer when we picked the trailer up in Salt Lake City in mid-October. Temps here in San Diego don't fluctuate radically but we at the coolest time of the year starting a few weeks ago. I believe my entire problem here was that the tank was empty, I did not have the second tan valve turned on (I never do) and I just failed to recognize it as I was troubleshooting why the furnace wouldn't run.

I'll test it out again when we go beach camping later this month.
                      Nice that you got it worked out. My understanding is that propane is blended differently from summer to winter.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                      X