Air Conditioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Conditioning

I heard that the new 2022 Solitude S Class come equipped with the smart start already installed. Is this correct?

Originally posted by William Lovell View Post
    I heard that the new 2022 Solitude S Class come equipped with the smart start already installed. Is this correct?
    I believe the units with Coleman AC units (supplies are short in the industry so installed equipment may vary), and they include a soft start capacitor, but this is different than the branded Easy Start aftermarket device you can purchase. That device has circuitry and logic included that creates a delay between the fan and compressor start to further limit inrush current (allowing for a smaller generator).
    Last edited by ncitro; 02-17-2022, 11:20 AM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Another option to the Coleman units that may be in play is the Furrion Chill AC unit. Supposedly it has a built in start capacitor similar to an EZ start. But with the horrible supply chain issues the RV industry is facing, you could wind up with any brand.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

I believe the units with Coleman AC units (supplies are short in the industry so installed equipment may vary), and they include a study start capacitor, but this is different than the branded Easy Start aftermarket device you can purchase. That device has circuitry and logic included that creates a delay between the fan and compressor start to further limit inrush current (allowing for a smaller generator).
        Neil,

Our Dometic AC also works this way.

Jim

Comment

FYI, This is from etrailer's website...
          Attached Files
          Mike and (RIP Karen)
          2021 2600RB
          2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

Originally posted by AZMike View Post
            FYI, This is from etrailer's website...
            I'd like to know the technical details of what differentiates these new "soft start capacitors" from the "start capacitors" the RV air conditioner manufactures have always used in their units. (There is typically a Start and a Run capacitor in an RV air conditioner.)

Call me a skeptic, but I doubt a "soft start" (or whatever they choose to call it) is the same as the MicroAir Easy Start component. (But will readily admit that's an opinion which could be wrong.)

Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
            2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I'd like to know the technical details of what differentiates these new "soft start capacitors" from the "start capacitors" the RV air conditioner manufactures have always used in their units. (There is typically a Start and a Run capacitor in an RV air conditioner.)

Call me a skeptic, but I doubt a "soft start" (or whatever they choose to call it) is the same as the MicroAir Easy Start component. (But will readily admit that's an opinion which could be wrong.)

Howard
              Agreed.

I'm waiting for a 2022 310 GK & had planned to install Easy Start in each AC unit hoping to start & run with a Cummins 4500.
              2022 Solitude 310 GK, Solar Package, Awnings, Outdoor Kitchen, Dual AC & Heat Pump
              2014 GMC 3500HD Long Box
              2ea 200ah lithium BT heated

Comment

Our 2022 315RLTS came with GE air conditioners. 15k and 13.5k. No clue what their features are.
                2022 GD Reflection 315RLTS
                2020 GMC HD2500 std bed w/ARE topper and slider deck.

Comment

Rick R -- did you get manuals with the units that identify the model #? I haven't seen a GE and don't know anything about them either.

Can you also take pics of the thermostat and the interior's ceiling unit?

Thanks!

Howard

Howard & Francine

Comment

Originally posted by Dale B View Post

Agreed.

I'm waiting for a 2022 310 GK & had planned to install Easy Start in each AC unit hoping to start & run with a Cummins 4500.
                    I was intending to add them to mine as well but fine that both my champion generator running on propane (derates it to about 2700 watts) and my 3000VA Multiplus are both capable of running either my Dometic or Coleman 15kbtu units with no issue, so I never did the upgrade.

Neil Citro
                    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Howard, I’ve got both manuals and have taken pictures. Also, interior pictures of grill and thermostat. Not much for cell service. We are at our sister in law’s ranch in Texas, plugged into a 30 amp so only using the 15k. 82 degrees outside and staying comfortable. We are going to Port Aransas tomorrow so I will try sending pictures then.

Comment

Ok, we’re set up at an rv park on the gulf coast with good cell service so I’ll try to post some pictures regarding our GE air conditioners. We have a 2022 Reflection 315RLTS. I think Grand Design is doing a pretty good job building their units given the fact the supply chain is so sketched these days. Case in point. We have a Furrion 16 cu. Ft.dc refrigerator. I called GD about getting an additional shelf for our unit and when they looked up our serial number they told me I had a Haier refrigerator. I told them that was not the case and they said……. hmmm. Installed equipment is changing so fast they can’t keep track. So back to the subject at hand. Our trailer came with two GE air conditioners which are working great!

Comment

Rick R -- perfect, thanks!

The installed equipment list on my '19 315RLTS shows a 13.5K Coleman installed in the bedroom. Nope. The sticker on the unit clearly shows it is a 15K. Point being it's not a new issue when the documentation isn't perfect. Watch the assembly line and it becomes clear how easy it would be for a substitution to happen for expediency and the paperwork never catches up. IMHO the supply situation has just made an imperfect system even more chaotic.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Working...
                          X