Bowed Water Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowed Water Tank

OK I was under the unit moving stuff out of the way to get my cribbing in. I had to cut my overflow vet modification pipe free to clear a jacking point. In the process I was near the water tanks and derided to give ii a closer look. It is bowed down in the center at least 3" near the center reinforcement hole. It can be pushed up easily though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1307s.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	110052 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1308s.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	110053

​ There is a C-Chanel frame on either side supporting the tank lip. The bows is at the center reinforcement hoe.. Note the support channel is welded to the cross member

Name:	IMG_1317s.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	110054

As you can see the axle is in the way. The C-channel is probably 1/8" thick. I was thinking of installing some 1/2" angle iron in two places between the two side channels, but am worried about bending the channel lip when the tank is full. Spacing would be at the 1/3 points across the tank. I believe the stain is from sitting on the coroplast and not a leak.

Name:	IMG_1319s.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	110055 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1308s.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	110056

​ This gives a better look at the channel.This channel is actually removable for tank service. You can somewhat see the center tank bottom bow. In pushing up the tanks will still ride on the side support channels. Now in this picture about 2' to the front (right under sewer pipe second photo) there is a full cross member - same on opposite side of thank. I could go a bit longer on the angle iron and connect to the cross member., as well as the side channel.I would also be able to support he drain cross pipe too.

I figured withe the axles out I have full access. I have a lot of wiring to clean up. I need to disconnect the tank senors wires and clean up the wiring routing around the tank and not under it. I think I have enough slack to do it

So thought's on additional tank reinforcement. I'm concerned with adding bolts to the cross members. I would be using the 1/4 by 20 bolts I have. I believe the suppliers around here carry small C-Channel too like 1/2 by 1 - probably a lot stronger

Thanks for any input

Keith
    Last edited by Yoda; 04-11-2023, 09:08 AM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

FYI your photos didn't load.

I dropped my tank and noticed the same bowing. I moved the cross members in to just fit the tank to help support it better, as it came from the factory it was only just barely sitting on the supports. I also added a couple of sports like ribs across the tank. I can't remember if I used angle or flat stock, it was whatever I had around. I used self tapping screws to hold it up. I definitely think it helps, if nothing else I think I get more water out of the tank.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Hi Keith,

I will be interested in seeing your pictures once you get them loaded. In “concept” I would use wide flat bar supports. These will bend with water load, but not as much as just the plastic tank bottom. This will provide support without hard spots that could cause other problems to the relatively thin wall plastic tank which is expected to stretch and sag.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
        FYI your photos didn't load.

I dropped my tank and noticed the same bowing. I moved the cross members in to just fit the tank to help support it better, as it came from the factory it was only just barely sitting on the supports. I also added a couple of sports like ribs across the tank. I can't remember if I used angle or flat stock, it was whatever I had around. I used self tapping screws to hold it up. I definitely think it helps, if nothing else I think I get more water out of the tank.
        Fixed it.
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
          Hi Keith,

I will be interested in seeing your pictures once you get them loaded. In “concept” I would use wide flat bar supports. These will bend with water load, but not as much as just the plastic tank bottom. This will provide support without hard spots that could cause other problems to the relatively thin wall plastic tank which is expected to stretch and sag.

Rob
          Would 3" wide strapping 1/8" thickness or less work - say 2 straps total. I can compress the tank center before installing. I was also going to use some thin rigid foam I have to shim out the movement. Its got some pretty good side to side play right now. The tank can also move side to side between the frames about 6" that I need to prevent. GD did not use any stop blocks that I can see. It stops against the frame on the one side and the plumbing fittings / wiring on the other. Ill see if I can get photos today. I was going to see if I can fit some sort of angle across the supports or bump stops on the support frame, but the tank fittings don't allow much room.

Keith

Comment

3" wide is what I think I used. The side to side I eliminated by moving the removable member closer to the tank. I was shocked how much play there was from the factory.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
            X