Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My kitchen flooded...

Hi all,

I woke up to the sound of "rain" and found my kitchen sink was on and over flowing.
    The faucet was over the sink, but I had the galley tank valve closed and it filled up.
    Amazingly, I don't think there is any damage.
    Is this something that the kitchen area was designed to handle?

The first two things I did was to turn off the faucet and then run outside to open the galley tank valve.
    I think that all of the overflowing water drained out of the kitchen slide.

If you are wondering how the faucet was turned on, then I am fairly certain that my cat is responsible.
    I need to remember to keep the faucet handle in the cold position so that it is less likely that he will turn it on.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to double check for water that I am not seeing?

The inside of the island is dry.
    The flood waters did not go beyond the area between the island and the stove/refrigerator.
    I currently have the slide part way in about an inch and have plastic hangers underneath the floor flap for the slide so that the area can dry.

Looking on the outside, I do not see any evidence of water in the holding tank area, but I have not dropped the bottom covering to check.
    I have not punctured the basement covering at its low spot so that I can see if any water is trapped.
    Do you think that is a good idea?

Thanks for any suggestions!
    2022 RAM 3500HD DRW, '22 Momentum 397TH-R

I would look/feel on the underside of the slides at the trailer to see if any water got past the seals. Probably wouldn't harm the slide bottom, but might be a path into the underbody.

I would also pull the aft false walls in the passthrough and look for sign of water there. There will most likely be hole in the floor behind the false walls for water lines, drains lines, and electrical lines to transit to the underbody through. Feel through this hole for any sign of water. There will also be a hole under the galley sink where water could get through to the underbody. Not sure how much effort would be involved in investigating this path, but it may be worthwhile.

I would not be too concerned about the grey tank leaking into the underbody. I might crawl underneath and push up on the corrugated plastic (corplas) to see if it feels heavy, but I wouldn't drop the corplas unless I found something leading me to suspect I had wet installation.

The hangers under the flap on the slide is a good idea. Do all you can to dry out areas along the slides and cabinets that are not easily accessible.
    John
    2018 Momentum 395M
    2018 Ram 3500 Dually
    Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Agree with John about testing the underbelly. The good news is that since you stopped the flow, and things are drying out, it will probably be okay.

You might consider when you are camping, only use the outside spigot to put water in your holding tank. Then set your panel to dry camping and obtain your water from the tank. This will limit how much water that can get in your coach. When the tank runs dry, the leak stops. In addition, if you shut off the pump when you go to bed, no water can leak. Just turn it on when needed.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

We can "appreciate" the problem with exploring cats playing with the water taps! (Ask me how I know this )

I would drill a small hole in the low point of the underbelly, just to make sure that things are dry in there. Fill the hole with a sheetmetal screw or a dab of silicone.

If you are on tank water, shutting off the pump when you go to bed or leave the trailer is an easy solution to the "cat problem".

We are typically on city water and I didn't want to go out to the post to turn off/on the water all the time, so I installed a solenoid valve connected to the water heater power. Shutting off the water heater (which we do at night or whenever we leave the trailer) also shuts off the city water supply. Take that . . . you mischievous cats!

See posts 5 and 7 of this thread for more info. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...hat-soft-hoses

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2728.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	116051

Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I would guess that there is water in plenty of places that you can not see or access. I would open up the kitchen island doors and get a fan blowing in there and probably drop an edge or 2 of the under belly to get a look in there and also a fan blowing in that area. Water will get in to the worst places.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
          X