Water heater - high altitude adjustments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water heater - high altitude adjustments

We recently purchased a new Transcend in SE TX. However the trailer will be living at higher altitude (about 7600 feet). I had read on some more general RV forums we may need to change out the orifice /burner when using above 4500 feet. This is a Suburban 6 gallon gas/electric WH and the manual for that indicates the same.

i visited the parts guy at our dealer and he couldn’t a high altitude related part. He advised contacting GD or Suburban directly - which is my next step.

What is the experience with others taking your units to high altitude regarding the propane water heaters?

At higher altitudes, there needs be more air allowed around the combustion area. At altitude, air is thinner and the air fuel ratio is out of whack. How you accomplish that is up to you if the factory doesn't sell an altitude adjustment solution.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    2021 303RLS
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Or less fuel for the available air.
      Ted
      2021 Reflection 310RLS
      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
        Or less fuel for the available air.
        Ya, or that.
        I liked it before when there were adjustable air shutters on propane appliances.
        2021 303RLS

Comment

I put a worm-gear hose clamp on the non-shuttered venturi to have a DIY air adjuster.
          Ted
          2021 Reflection 310RLS
          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
            I put a worm-gear hose clamp on the non-shuttered venturi to have a DIY air adjuster.
            Would this restrict the flow of air? I think in this case we need all of the air we can get. The high altitude orifice is smaller and restricts the flow of propane to compensate for the lower O2. Now the problem seems to be getting someone to acknowledge this exists.

Somewhere I had read that someone took the cover off to allow better airflow - not a long term solution. I also just started conversing with GD - who had to go back to suburban. We will see what they say.

Comment

Will the clamp restrict air flow? Yes, it lets me adjust the air-fuel mix to get a better flame color. Most of my travels are from high altitude(7500 feet) to low altitude( sea level). At high altitude I can move or remove the clamp. At lower elevations I can then better adjust the flame. Previous trailers I've had did have air venturies with air shutters on the combustion chambers for adjusting the air mix. I'm a tinkerer, can't leave it alone.
              Ted
              2021 Reflection 310RLS
              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by WAJ45 View Post

The high altitude orifice is smaller and restricts the flow of propane to compensate for the lower O2. Now the problem seems to be getting someone to acknowledge this exists.

Somewhere I had read that someone took the cover off to allow better airflow - not a long term solution.
                I always prefered getting more air available rather than restricting the propane...I figure with less propane, less heat, longer to heat water.

2021 303RLS

Comment

There is a limit as to how much gap you can have for the propane air inductor. If the opening is too big, the propane jet cannot "suck" enough air in leading to poor flame.

OP may want to check with a local propane supply company to see if they can offer different jets.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

One person's experience on Escape forum.
                    Ted
                    2021 Reflection 310RLS
                    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Working...
                    X