Weatherize for year-round use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weatherize for year-round use?

Hello, We have a new Imagine 2600RB that we would like to use throughout the winter season. We are in the PNW and it does tend to snow once or twice each year. Do we need to winterize if we plan to use it once or twice a month? Do we need to winterize and un-winterize each time we use it? It is parked in a storage lot when not in use so there's no ability to plug it in.

If it goes below freezing, you should winterize between uses. Up to you if that is anti-freeze or air. I prefer air myself. Others do not.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    2021 303RLS
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
      If it goes below freezing, you should winterize between uses. Up to you if that is anti-freeze or air. I prefer air myself. Others do not.
      Been using air vs antifreeze for 20+ years without issues.
      40-year Camping Enthusiast
      2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
      2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

Both methods definitely have their advantages. I use air (Texas weather) and leave the low point drains open so no pressure can build in the system while allowing any excess moisture to evaporate out.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

When using air to purge the plumbing system, there is a lot of water left in the low points below where the air can pass over the top of the water. If you do not have to move the RV after purging with air, this gap above the water is likely sufficient to prevent freeze expansion damage. If you have to move the RV after purging with air, the remaining water will likely slosh into the low areas filling them completely and freeze damage is possible. The factory winterizes with antifreeze during winter months. There is a reason for this, or they would use air only. If you have a tankless Furrion on-demand water heater, winterizing with antifreeze is advised.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I forgot about the tankless. Thanks Rob.

If you choose to use air, find the magic red valve on the back of the HWH not the bypass on the panel. This magic red handle is used to empty the buffer tank used by the HWH to mix water to prevent scalding. This valve is also the over pressure temp relief valve and will help purge the tubes in the heat exchanger better than just removing the filter and drain.

I usually empty the lines using the low points, then with air on a regulator, go through the unit 3-4 times purging the sinks and shower, then outside to low point drains and the outside faucet, then back inside. Then finally pulling the drains for the HWH and blowing again. Once the HWH drains are back in, then cycle the red handle.

See post 17. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ase-read/page2
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
            X