Shower Doors backwards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shower Doors backwards

I have a new-to-me 2022 Solitude 390RK, for the most part we are very happy with it though we're still learning about various options that were added. The current issue I have is I noticed something odd about the shower doors. The first thing I saw was a label upside down at the top right of the 3 door. Then I realized this morning that the layering and seals in between the glass were exactly opposite from what they are supposed to be. How the heck do you install something backwards like this and more importantly, how do I fix this?
    2021 Ram 3500 dually
    2022Grand Design Solitude 390RK
    Retired

I'm not so sure that the door is installed upside down or backwards, even with the sticker being upside down. The overlap, handles, and post for the latch to hook onto looks like what I remember ours looked like. Perhaps it is just the sticker that is upside down? If there are no major leaks or problems with the door movement, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

By the way, I said the door "looks like what I remember" because like many others, we removed the door and frame and replaced it with a shower curtain. The shower stays much drier and cleaner now.
    John
    2018 Momentum 395M
    2018 Ram 3500 Dually
    Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Good morning Ratchethead58 - I have a 2024 Solitude and mine is mounted exactly the same way. In my opinion, it's correct. The door should be slid to the right for opening so the hook can catch the latch during travel. The seals keep water from the showerhead from spraying between the doors.

The label is confusing since it's upside down. But I think if you look at the bottom of the glass panels, you'll see the etched "tempered glass" information is correctly oriented.

The way mine is manufactured, I believe it would be impossible to mount it in a different configuration.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Our doors are installed the same way. No issues but we did install a shower curtain because they are a pia to clean.
        Scott & Mikaela
        2022 375 RES
        2020 F-350 DRW

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
          Good morning Ratchethead58 - I have a 2024 Solitude and mine is mounted exactly the same way. In my opinion, it's correct. The door should be slid to the right for opening so the hook can catch the latch during travel. The seals keep water from the showerhead from spraying between the doors.

The label is confusing since it's upside down. But I think if you look at the bottom of the glass panels, you'll see the etched "tempered glass" information is correctly oriented.

The way mine is manufactured, I believe it would be impossible to mount it in a different configuration.

Jim
          The mention of the label was only my first indication something was wrong, not the main point, my bad. The doors CAN be mounted properly, my last fiver had the same doors but they were installed correctly with the glass overlap going the opposite direction so as to deflect water better off the showerhead. My pictures could be a lot better I know and I will post better ones as I start disassembly.
          2021 Ram 3500 dually
          Retired

Comment

Ratchethead58 - If you do change the mounting, please share how you did it. This might be a project other may wish to take on.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie

Comment

If the doors "gather" for travel behind the toilet, it is the correct installation, If not, let us know.
              Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
              Nash County, NC
              2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Here is a 390 with the shower as mounted in the orientation it comes from the factory.

Click image for larger version

Name:	390RK.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	125896
                Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowells View Post
                  If the doors "gather" for travel behind the toilet, it is the correct installation, If not, let us know.
                  Yes they do gather behind the toilet with the lock mechanism correctly oriented, but lock was on the opposite side in the Chaparral allowing for the doors to overlap in the proper direction, I maintain the overlap direction is incorrect in regard to the shower head. I believe it will be more difficult than I originally thought to correct the issue. Will update and video when I start the project.
                  2021 Ram 3500 dually
                  Retired

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                    Here is a 390 with the shower as mounted in the orientation it comes from the factory.

Click image for larger version

Name:	390RK.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	125896
                    I agree that is way mine is configured as well, however I maintain my original premise. I recently had new bathroom installed in my house it also had overlapping doors with deflector seals in between the panes. I questioned the installer as to why the opening would be on one side or the other. He stated, and it made sense, one way the shower spray could be deflected between the panes and end up getting the floor wet while if overlapped the opposite direction, the shower water would be deflected past the opening and stay inside the shower.
                    2021 Ram 3500 dually
                    Retired

Comment

The thought that Grand Design might install all of these doors “upside down” to fit their layouts, is not out of the question . . . (just say’n )

Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Ratchethead58 I'll look at the seal installation on mine when I get home (there). All my water ends up in the channel.
                        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                        Nash County, NC
                        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by Ratchethead58 View Post

I agree that is way mine is configured as well, however I maintain my original premise. I recently had new bathroom installed in my house it also had overlapping doors with deflector seals in between the panes. I questioned the installer as to why the opening would be on one side or the other. He stated, and it made sense, one way the shower spray could be deflected between the panes and end up getting the floor wet while if overlapped the opposite direction, the shower water would be deflected past the opening and stay inside the shower.
                          I like your fold down seat. I wonder if I could install on of these on my Reflection travel trailer?
                          Raymond and Dee Dee
                          2024 Reflection 296 RDTS
                          2023 Chevrolet 2500HD

Comment

Working...
                          X