Leak by the walls of master bedroom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leak by the walls of master bedroom

Good morning fellow Grand Design fans. I'm hoping y'all could assist me on this one. Woke up this morning to pack up and my wife found one of her bags soaked. I'm assuming it absorbed a substantial portion of this leak.

For troubleshooting, I first checked by the main water connection, nothing shooting up or causing a leak from the basement. I then wanted to see if it was something I could spot beyond the lower shroud but I'd have to support the rig and take out the stabilizer. So that clearly has to wait till I get home. It's clear I'll either see something below or have to start taking interior panels apart to see what's going on behind them.

I made a video of the areas that we can see water seeping. I was hoping y'all could give me ideas on areas to troubleshoot when I get home and have a better toolset to work with.

Even better would be if someone had a general water hose routing diagram.. that'd be amazing.

Thank you! Also this is a '22 Transcend 265bh (just in case I forgot to put it in signature)

https://youtu.be/BvjN9sXjgZU?si=4fOYye-KOam_PCj6
    Transcend 2022 265BH
    The Leisure Trails - coming soon! =)

Originally posted by H22EG8 View Post
    Good morning fellow Grand Design fans. I'm hoping y'all could assist me on this one. Woke up this morning to pack up and my wife found one of her bags soaked. I'm assuming it absorbed a substantial portion of this leak.

For troubleshooting, I first checked by the main water connection, nothing shooting up or causing a leak from the basement. I then wanted to see if it was something I could spot beyond the lower shroud but I'd have to support the rig and take out the stabilizer. So that clearly has to wait till I get home. It's clear I'll either see something below or have to start taking interior panels apart to see what's going on behind them.

I made a video of the areas that we can see water seeping. I was hoping y'all could give me ideas on areas to troubleshoot when I get home and have a better toolset to work with.

Even better would be if someone had a general water hose routing diagram.. that'd be amazing.

Thank you! Also this is a '22 Transcend 265bh (just in case I forgot to put it in signature)

https://youtu.be/BvjN9sXjgZU?si=4fOYye-KOam_PCj6
    Where exactly in your 265 is this leak? I watched the video but not clear on where this is inside the camper.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Here ya go. It's just below the emergency window exit. The video shows the driver's side corner area of the room.
      Attached Files
      Transcend 2022 265BH

Comment

H22EG8 - I checked the weather records for Kitty Hawk and see there has been no rain in the last week. So this certainly looks like a potential plumbing issue. If you set up the trailer's water system for dry camping, does the pump cycle on an off? This will confirm a plumbing leak if it does.

Also, as Howard mentions, if you could pinpoint the area where you found the water, we can check the drawings to see if there is an obvious area to trouble-shoot.

EDIT: You posted the floorplan photo while I was responding. Looking at the floorplan, I'd highly suspect a leak with the bathroom sink plumbing.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

H22EG8

This is not the best diagram, but best I can put together.

Could the leak be associated with the spray port? I noted in your OP about the "wife's bag" so maybe it's in that storage closet in the bunk room? The water heater is in the aft rear corner, too, so also a possibility.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Layout 265.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	128053

Howard
          ​
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Originally posted by H22EG8 View Post
            Here ya go. It's just below the emergency window exit. The video shows the driver's side corner area of the room.
            Then my first guess is a leak either around the window or even the roof seam above the window area. Inspect every inch of the roof, including the seam where the wall meets the roofline.

Howard & Francine

Comment

H22EG8

For clarity, what looks like water lines going toward's that window in my lousy diagram are low point drains. Highly unlikely to be the issue.

Howard & Francine

Comment

I am so appreciative of the responses. It's nice knowing there's folks out there trying to help. It's genuinely one of the reasons I bought GD. Through more troubleshooting after we got home, I started under the camper and quickly realized that taking apart that boundary stuff would be quite tough.

Upon further inspection, I legit lost my bearing from where the basement is in relation to the bedroom. And that the floor of the bedroom is (duh) the floor of the basement... smh moment right there. Saying it out loud makes sense... but perspective inside can be uniquely deceiving. After we did a knock test, I realized that the leak was somewhere closer to the main spray port entrance. So I started to take apart the area around the spray port to see the connections behind it and to eventually do a pressure test on the system.

The first picture is the main panel where the water comes in. The second picture is a picture behind the panel. The third picture is the side fascia panel that (clearly) absorbed some water. Fourth picture is the general seepage from the main water connection.

Once we turned the water on, the seepage was there but honestly, that's been normal. I figure I'll re-inspect silicone and/or re-do it. Once I turned everything on, there was no leak... I waited awhile... still nothing.

Then I remembered while I was doing the black tank flush (I like being thorough, about 30 minutes of fill/flush) I inspected under the bathroom sink cabinet to see if there was anything I could catch from this entry point. The condensation was insane. The amount of leaking from the hose made me think I had a second leak. It was seriously dripping into a basket we had on the floor that had a small puddle in it! Then just sticking my hand on it and wiping it down made me realize it was just condensation. Taking a moment to think about the variables at play, our stay was just 1 dune away from the ocean, the water was around 35 degrees, our cabin was stupid cozy warm, and we had condensation inside the cabin like we had never experienced. The windows were practically soaked on the inside. I genuinely believe that the water came from the condensation pooling on the back side of the panel from the hoses.

Considering I couldn't repeat the leak in more 'ideal' conditions at home, that's my current theory. Fortunately, we're going camping again in... two weeks - in a forest, not on a dune. It'll be interesting to see the dynamic change if our environment changes. At the next site in trying to get a good 'safe' comparison, I have towel in the area and the panel off for an immediate test run at another site.

This experience makes me want to strongly follow some of the advice that someone put here (don't remember which post) that suggested always turning your water off when you leave the camper. I did it a few times just because but now this just solidifies that practice.

Just to keep the hive mind repository up to date, I'll update this post after our next camping trip. Thank you again to everyone that took time to respond and read this. Have a great week everyone!
                Attached Files
                Last edited by H22EG8; 02-04-2024, 08:57 PM.
                Transcend 2022 265BH

Comment

I live in the Arizona desert, so condensation is very rare. One time I went to my dad's summer home in Maine. I walked barefoot into the bathroom and the floor was soaked. I told my dad, and he said "yep - condensation". The water coming into the toilet was in the 30's. But the air was warm and humid. Condensation was literally dripping off the toilet and onto the floor.

Jim
                  Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                  GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                  GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                    I live in the Arizona desert, so condensation is very rare. One time I went to my dad's summer home in Maine. I walked barefoot into the bathroom and the floor was soaked. I told my dad, and he said "yep - condensation". The water coming into the toilet was in the 30's. But the air was warm and humid. Condensation was literally dripping off the toilet and onto the floor.

Jim
                    That's just wild. We don't go out in these conditions often so this is an entirely new venture for us. Never stop learning!

Thank you for some sense of sanity and confirmation!
                    Transcend 2022 265BH

Comment

Before your next adventure, H22EG8, please work on drying out your trailer. Fans, including one in the crawl space, with cabinet doors and drawers open (or even removed) so that air can circulate into all the nooks and crannies. If your home base has a high relative humidity, consider using dehumidifiers or water absorbent material to lower the humidity in the trailer. The goal is to dry out the wetted surfaces so that mold can't grow. Before buttoning everything up, spray those dark places with a mold killer (bleach doesn't count).
                      John
                      2018 Momentum 395M
                      2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                      Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
                        Before your next adventure, H22EG8, please work on drying out your trailer. Fans, including one in the crawl space, with cabinet doors and drawers open (or even removed) so that air can circulate into all the nooks and crannies. If your home base has a high relative humidity, consider using dehumidifiers or water absorbent material to lower the humidity in the trailer. The goal is to dry out the wetted surfaces so that mold can't grow. Before buttoning everything up, spray those dark places with a mold killer (bleach doesn't count).
                        That's a good call. I appreciate the response. I'll do that today!
                        Transcend 2022 265BH

Comment

Working...
                        X