Fresh Water Vent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh Water Vent

Dors anybody know if the fresh water tank has a vent other than the overflows?
    2022 Reflection 150 series 260RD
    2015 F150, Air Lift air bag system. B&W Patriot 16k

The overflow is the only vent on a 150 Series Reflection 5th Wheel.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
      The overflow is the only vent on a 150 Series Reflection 5th Wheel.

Rob
      Cate&Rob, I'm trying to protect against the siphoning issue with my fresh water overflow. After some research on this forum, it appears I may have the "Rob Vent", (as referenced by TucsonJim) from the "Breaking Water Tank Overflow" .pdf you post in another thread. I have two blue pex tubes coming form my fresh water tank. If so, I don't need a shut off valve as I should not have any siphoning going on, correct?
      2022 Reflection 150 series 260RD
      2015 F150, Air Lift air bag system. B&W Patriot 16k

Comment

Hi bilco82

The twin overflow pipes have proven to be successful at stopping the siphon action described in those other threads. What this will not stop is “slosh pumping”. If your drive to the campground involves a lot of stop-and-go driving with a full water tank, you will still lose some amount of water but if a siphon gets started, it will stop on its own.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

The water will drain as long as the tank water level is above the tank vent port. The second tube allows the tank to gulp air to replace the draining water volume while water runs out the first vent tube. Siphoning is a misnomer for the draining water action.
          Ted
          2021 Reflection 310RLS
          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

The problem with the overflow pipes is in the installation. It will not matter if there are 1, 2, or 10 overflow pipes. If they are installed where they go up to be above the top of the tank before going down then they will work, if they are installed so they are below the top of the tank then they will siphon,drain, or whatever you want to call it.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

This goes back to the original discussion of "siphon draining" of the tank. See the original thread, post 55 https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ter-tank/page4 Once the siphon starts, a single vent/drain tube longer than the depth of the tank can create enough vacuum to lift the bottom of the tank such that the top connection point remains submerged. This is because the tank is so broad and shallow. Grand Design didn't believe this either . . . until they tested my theory and observed exactly this phenomenon. The second down tube breaks the siphon.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Just making U shaped plumbing doesn't make a siphon. Otherwise, simply not making the U shape plumbing at the vent would be enough to kill or prevent a 'siphon'.
                Ted
                2021 Reflection 310RLS
                2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
                  Just making U shaped plumbing doesn't make a siphon. Otherwise, simply not making the U shape plumbing at the vent would be enough to kill or prevent a 'siphon'.
                  A column of water with its top end submerged in a reservoir of water makes the “siphon”. The shape of the tube does not matter. As described in the link to post 7, this column of water can create enough vacuum to lift the bottom of the tank, keeping the top of the drain pipe submerged. The second pipe allows air to be drawn into the column of water which breaks the vacuum.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

The inhaled air breaks the water column. The long leg empties and the water/air in the port flows back into the tank allowing the tank to go to atmospheric pressure, regain its shape and drop the water level below the port to stop draining.

Regardless, your construct works.
                    Ted
                    2021 Reflection 310RLS
                    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Working...
                    X