Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to replace black tank flush inlet port on P4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to replace black tank flush inlet port on P4?

Darned if I can figure out how this is even kept in place. Went to flush the black tank before dropping it at the factory and water sprayed everywhere inside and outside. I can't see how this is even attached or if it is even two pieces, let alone get the old one out and find a replacement? It's almost like it broke in two given the gap in the outside washer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	black tank inlet outside.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	133264

Name:	black tank inlet inside.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	133265
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar, factory gen, 8K axles with discs, W/D, Heat Pump, Gen 2 Goosebox, Battleborn
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin

It looks like the fitting is pushed into snap tabs in the panel. It may be fiddly to pry the tabs to release the fitting.

Nautilus-P4Installation-Rev-1.pdf
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

ajg617 -- that is an odd retainer for sure. The B&B repair manual's picture of the retainer clip is what was on mine (see below). It broke during removal. I used a common "C" clip to reinstall.

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-02 064602.png
Views:	87
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	133282

Remember that the black flush is NOT a one-way valve like the fresh water inlet. Use the right part when replacing!

The different Nautilus panels (and their manuals) are found here: https://www.bandbmolders.com/index.php/nautilus/

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Looks like a "wiggle while pulling hard" type fitting. Secure a replacement before removing so that you can study it and get an idea on how to remove it.
        Or simply change it out with a Valterra solid brass unit.

https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-VALTE...zcF9idGY&psc=1
        2023 Imagine XLS 23LDE, 2022 Ford F-150 Super Crew Cab STX, Curt TruTrac hitch, Curt TriFlex brake controller, AMTIFO rear view camera, Tymate TPMS.

Comment

Originally posted by Reacher View Post
          Or simply change it out with a Valterra solid brass unit. ...VALTERRA-Water-Inlet-Fresh
          Careful--the linked Amazon item likely has a backflow (one way) valve. The black flush connection must NOT have that valve. Water must flow backwards to clear the flush line.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
            ajg617 -- that is an odd retainer for sure. The B&B repair manual's picture of the retainer clip is what was on mine (see below). It broke during removal. I used a common "C" clip to reinstall.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-02 064602.png Views:	0 Size:	191.4 KB ID:	133282

Remember that the black flush is NOT a one-way valve like the fresh water inlet. Use the right part when replacing!

The different Nautilus panels (and their manuals) are found here: https://www.bandbmolders.com/index.php/nautilus/

Howard
            Two GD dealers have never seen the type before - went out and looked at a couple and it was more like your picture. No back flow valve in this according to B&B. Design has been replaced by the C-Clip model so they confirm the whole panel has to be replaced because there is nothing to keep the C-clip secure. Those fingers are actually part of the panel.
            Last edited by ajg617; 05-02-2024, 02:47 PM.
            2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar, factory gen, 8K axles with discs, W/D, Heat Pump, Gen 2 Goosebox, Battleborn

Comment

I think you could use a black fresh water fill fitting, suggested earlier in the thread. Just knock out the one way valve inside and you will be good. Sand the tabs on the back of your panel that holds the old one in and add the brass with a nut on the back and good to go.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Update from Grand Design parts. Old design P4 panel. Entire panel needs to be replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by ajg617 View Post
                  Update from Grand Design parts. Old design P4 panel. Entire panel needs to be replaced.
                  On who's dime (replace entire new panel)? You didn't ask for my .02, but there's no way I'd pay for a panel (or even want to do the work to install it even if given to me!) to get a new black tank fitting. There's many ways to duplicate the function of that connection with a mod (as Brian noted in post 7).

However...if you can get the new panel for free consider using it as a spare parts resource for the panel that's installed. Country Campers, to my amazement, actually had an old ("bad") panel with him and we were able to repair ncitro 's camper last year before National with parts we took off of it.

Howard & Francine

Comment

On who's dime (replace entire new panel)? You didn't ask for my .02, but there's no way I'd pay for a panel (or even want to do the work to install it even if given to me!) to get a new black tank fitting. There's many ways to duplicate the function of that connection with a mod (as Brian noted in post 7).

However...if you can get the new panel for free consider using it as a spare parts resource for the panel that's installed. Country Campers, to my amazement, actually had an old ("bad") panel with him and we were able to repair ncitro 's camper last year before National with parts we took off of it.
                    Was told at factory visit and pickup Tuesday that GD should have caught it when doing the pressure test and they will cover expenses. Meanwhile I have a short garden hose connected directly to the black tank Pex fitting and can flush that way.

Comment

Originally posted by ajg617 View Post
                      Was told at factory visit and pickup Tuesday that GD should have caught it when doing the pressure test and they will cover expenses. Meanwhile I have a short garden hose connected directly to the black tank Pex fitting and can flush that way.
                      Great! Ask for the old panel--they'll just toss it.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Careful--the linked Amazon item likely has a backflow (one way) valve. The black flush connection must NOT have that valve. Water must flow backwards to clear the flush line.
                        Correct. You need to disable the check valve by punching or drilling it out.
                        2023 Imagine XLS 23LDE, 2022 Ford F-150 Super Crew Cab STX, Curt TruTrac hitch, Curt TriFlex brake controller, AMTIFO rear view camera, Tymate TPMS.

Comment

I'd probably leave the one way valve in the hose end fitting if it lets enough flow through, WHY, because the section of hose from the Vacuum breaker to the inlet always DUMPS the water back at you when you disconnect. I have a valve I keep on the fitting so that I can shut it off and not get doused with water when disconnecting.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                            I'd probably leave the one way valve in the hose end fitting if it lets enough flow through, WHY, because the section of hose from the Vacuum breaker to the inlet always DUMPS the water back at you when you disconnect. I have a valve I keep on the fitting so that I can shut it off and not get doused with water when disconnecting.
                            The line from the fitting to the tank drops down to the floor behind the pass thru pretty quickly so I haven't seen a lot of water drain out when disconnecting.

Comment

Great! Ask for the old panel--they'll just toss it.
                              I might do the replacement myself rather than have the dealer do it. So far, the only hold is whether or not the two switches (pump and blue LEDs) can be removed and put in the new panel which comes with only the pump switch installed and the under slide out light switch blocked off.

Comment

Working...
                              X