Water leak.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water leak.

Water is leaking from under the relay on the water heater tank.

Welcome to the forum Timitz. I see you are also asking GDRV for assistance. Due to the holiday, they will not be back in the office until Monday. In the mean time, can you provide a little more info on the leak on your 2600? You say it's leaking from under the relay.

Can you take a look at the water heater, and let us know if it's an Atwood brand (it will have a white plastic drain plug), or a Suburban brand (metal drain plug)? Can you take a picture of the area that is leaking and post it here on the forum? That will give us enough info to help you start trouble-shooting.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Hi Jim,
      It's a Atwood heater. It has steady water coming from under the tank near the relay. There's no connections there that I can see. It only leaks when I have the pump running.

Comment

Hi timitz,

The choices for source of the water are the hose/pipe going in (in your picture), the hose coming out (usually red), the seal around the electric heating element or a failure of the tank wall itself. You should be able to examine the outlet hose and nearby connections. From your description, I am thinking that it might be a loose electric heating element. See attached picture. If not, this is a bigger problem with a failure of the tank itself.

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	Atwood Electric Element.jpeg
Views:	654
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	1574
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• timitz
          timitz commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Rob,
          I thought there were just wires in the relay box. I just bought it last summer and only my second time using it. My first time using the water system this year and discovered this. ☹️

My mistake Jim, it's a Dometic.

Comment

Originally posted by timitz View Post
          My mistake Jim, it's a Dometic.
          To me, it's still an Atwood water heater. Dometic acquired several of the Atwood components and sells them under their name now.

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

If the leak is only present when the pump runs I wonder if it is the valve. It might have a crack or pin hole on the under side that sprays back under the heater. Could also be a similar problem with one of the hose ends there as well.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks for your help Brian,
              I don't see any valves on the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by timitz View Post
                Thanks for your help Brian,
                I don't see any valves on the bottom.
                The valve in the picture you posted, also the fittings, if these have a leak it could spray in any direction.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Do you have a second helper? Try this - dry everything and then place sheets of paper towels under everything. Have someone turn the pump on and watch. You should be able to tell the direction and source of the leak as the towel gets wet. The only other way I know of is drain everything and use air pressure in your system (30psi) then use a soap solution around all the connections. But this does leave a sticky mess.

Good luck
                  2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help. I eventually had to remove the heater to find it. It was a crack in the tank on the bottom right near the heating element and relay box.

Comment

• howson
                      howson commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for the follow-up!
                  Working...
                  X