No announcement yet.

Change Location of Black Water Tank Flush Nozzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Follow up: My initial contact and call back from GD was on April 10. Even though the plant was either closed or working with a skeleton crew, the caller promised I would hear from someone within a week.
    One month later, I have heard nothing from them. Does anyone know if the plant has reopened? Even if it was still closed, I would think the managers would be available by phone.
    2019 Solitude 384GK-R.

Comment

Originally posted by KirbyRVA View Post
      Follow up: My initial contact and call back from GD was on April 10. Even though the plant was either closed or working with a skeleton crew, the caller promised I would hear from someone within a week.
      One month later, I have heard nothing from them. Does anyone know if the plant has reopened? Even if it was still closed, I would think the managers would be available by phone.
      GDRV-Megan -- can you do a follow up on this? (See posts 4 & 5 to refresh your memory.)
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

The gentleman just wanted to let me know they were aware of my request. He said after the Easter weekend he planned to confer with one of the engineers to see if they planned it that way. He offered a theory that the flush stream would hit the upper end of the tank and wash debris toward the drain. I suggested that might work if there was always good water pressure and the nozzle was designed to produce an adequate stream to do that. I also advised him that the three tank sensors are also mounted on the discharge end of the tank so the back flush nozzle had no chance of hitting those. I told him that I can lay under the tank with water going to the back flush and all I hear is a lazy stream of water and it certainly doesn't sound like it is hitting the upper end of the tank.

It was nice of him to call. I will be anxious to hear what their engineer says next week.
        I had kinda lost track of this. When I added the change to the vent pipe, I had the flush going and it was a spray and definitely not a stream that would hit the back of the tank. I see so many potential changes to make the black tank flush better, and am considering (as are a few others) creating the ability to bypass the tank for the "stuff" to go directly out of the trailer and have a separate exit specifically for that. This for me is to address what I see as a big problem when hooked to a septic system. First is the amount of water required during multiple flushing cycles and the need to raise the nose to get a complete flush, and second is overwhelming the pumping tank (sump) that we are going to use.
        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
        Nash County, NC
        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

I am checking with Jay. He was the one that I believe you spoke with.

Comment

In your original post, you stated that the dealer was ordering a new tank:

Click image for larger version

Name:	post.PNG
Views:	332
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	18534

Have they done this yet? We don't drill out the flush fittings, they come to us from our supplier already drilled.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by GDRV-Megan View Post

In your original post, you stated that the dealer was ordering a new tank:

Click image for larger version

Name:	post.PNG
Views:	332
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	18534

Have they done this yet? We don't drill out the flush fittings, they come to us from our supplier already drilled.
              I've not heard from my dealer. I assumed Grand Design would just send whatever tank you have in stock. If it is another tank with the back flush nozzle installed in the lower end of the tank, it will work no better than the tank they are replacing. My inquiry with you was to try and get someone at Grand Design to ensure that my replacement tank has the flush nozzle installed at the upper end of the tank opposite the dump outlet. Saying you get the tanks from your supplier already drilled is not a solution. Do you not specify how you want the tank drilled for your supplier??

Jay (don't remember his name) promised to have someone get back to me within a week with an answer. I've heard from no one.

As you can see from post #18 above, I am not the only customer who has had issues getting the black tank dumped and cleaned properly due to Grand Design's poor design and placement of the tanks and the plumbing.

Megan, one final question. Have you ever spent any time in one of the RV's made by Grand Design. I don't mean walking around inside or just looking but several days living in one and using the systems. Have you ever dumped the holding tanks?
              2019 Solitude 384GK-R.

Comment

I've not heard from my dealer. I assumed Grand Design would just send whatever tank you have in stock. If it is another tank with the back flush nozzle installed in the lower end of the tank, it will work no better than the tank they are replacing. My inquiry with you was to try and get someone at Grand Design to ensure that my replacement tank has the flush nozzle installed at the upper end of the tank opposite the dump outlet. Saying you get the tanks from your supplier already drilled is not a solution. Do you not specify how you want the tank drilled for your supplier??

Jay (don't remember his name) promised to have someone get back to me within a week with an answer. I've heard from no one.

As you can see from post #18 above, I am not the only customer who has had issues getting the black tank dumped and cleaned properly due to Grand Design's poor design and placement of the tanks and the plumbing.

Megan, one final question. Have you ever spent any time in one of the RV's made by Grand Design. I don't mean walking around inside or just looking but several days living in one and using the systems. Have you ever dumped the holding tanks?
                I am getting with Jay. I'll have him give you a call. From our understanding in your first post, you had already ordered the replacement tank through your dealer. We can inspect them, but all of our tanks are built by our suppliers, according to the mold that we have already approved for them to use. We won't be able to special order a tank. If there is an issue with the way that it was installed, then that will be something that your dealer will need to take care of for you. This goes for ThePowells as well.

No, I do not personally own a Grand Design RV, so I have not camped in one. I have worked for Grand Design for about 9 months. Maybe one day I'll get to experience that. Until then, I'll gladly take your feedback to our production team, so they may make any modifications or changes to the units as they see fit.

Comment

I am getting with Jay. I'll have him give you a call. From our understanding in your first post, you had already ordered the replacement tank through your dealer. We can inspect them, but all of our tanks are built by our suppliers, according to the mold that we have already approved for them to use. We won't be able to special order a tank. If there is an issue with the way that it was installed, then that will be something that your dealer will need to take care of for you. This goes for ThePowells as well.

No, I do not personally own a Grand Design RV, so I have not camped in one. I have worked for Grand Design for about 9 months. Maybe one day I'll get to experience that. Until then, I'll gladly take your feedback to our production team, so they may make any modifications or changes to the units as they see fit.
                  -----
                  Megan:

Not sure how you thought I had ordered a tank. The dealer tech came and confirmed that my tank was split and leaking. He agreed with me that placement of the back flush fitting on my tank made no good sense. He was going to inquire with his manager about the possibility of getting a replacement tank with the fitting at the other end. I also talked to Jay about that but he denied any technical expertise and said he would have someone call me who could answer my question.

You say you cannot special order a tank and must use what you have already approved. That makes no sense since I know of other Grand Design owners (on another GD owners forum) who have Solitudes with back flush fittings installed in the upper end of the tank. One even posted a photo. So, it seems GD uses/has used tanks with the fitting located where I prefer and where it makes most sense.

Bottom line, I understand you are new to the company and seem to be primarily a non technical go between. My issue/questions can only be resolved by someone else. If I hear from no one this week, I will assume no one really cares to address it. Just have them keep installing tanks that dump poorly, flush poorly and create issues for your customers. Since 1985 I have owned three TT's and three motorhomes and never had this issue. I buy what you call your 'high end' coach and have the issue.
                  2019 Solitude 384GK-R.

Comment

I haven't found a problem with the installation, it is the design and application. At 55 PSI, the water "fan" stream is barely making it past the vent opening, much less to the other wall of the tank, plus the sensors are not getting any type of cleaning. I guess I'll just have to live with the periodic wand cleanings through the vent access.
                    Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                    Nash County, NC
                    2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

ThePowells if you're flushing with just 55 psi it sounds like you may be using a pressure reducing valve (PRV) on the flush line. Step for of my owners manual for Black Tank Flusher reads "Open the water supply to full pressure to flush the tank", which would be between 70 and 75 psi for most residential supplies. Try flushing without the PRV and see if that helps.
                      John
                      2018 Momentum 395M
                      2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                      Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Update: Got a call late today from a much more technical person at Grand Design. Bottom line, he understands my question about placement of the back flush fitting in a replacement black water tank. He agrees that placing it at the end of the tank opposite the discharge is the better location. He is not sure the tank in my coach was a goof but will investigate. I am to touch base with my dealer and let them know of my discussion with GD. Even if the tank delivered to the dealer is another 'goof,' he will send a fitting that the dealer tech can spin into the tank at the desired location. Even though our rig is 4 - 5 months out of warranty, he said he would advocate for coverage of this replacement.

2019 Solitude 384GK-R.

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
                          ThePowells if you're flushing with just 55 psi it sounds like you may be using a pressure reducing valve (PRV) on the flush line. Step for of my owners manual for Black Tank Flusher reads "Open the water supply to full pressure to flush the tank", which would be between 70 and 75 psi for most residential supplies. Try flushing without the PRV and see if that helps.
                          My owner's manual suggest a regulator @ 40PSI for the water system. I don't use a regulator at home since I know how my pressure is set, but my regulator is set @ 60PSI when I use one.
                          Nash County, NC
                          2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Water Pressure is a curious thing . . . I have posted in the past about the value of installing a system water pressure gauge to really understand what is going on with your water pressure.

You might have a static water pressure of 40 or even 60 psi (75 psi would definitely be on the high end) but this will drop dramatically when you open a large flow (such as the black tank flush) because of flow restrictions in the supply line, all the way back into the park system. I would not be surprised to see 20 psi with the flush nozzle flowing.

Rob
                            Cate & Rob
                            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowells View Post

My owner's manual suggest a regulator @ 40PSI for the water system. I don't use a regulator at home since I know how my pressure is set, but my regulator is set @ 60PSI when I use one.
                              We're discussing the black tank flush system--NOT the fresh water system--in your unit. As the diagram below shows (Cate&Rob originally posted) it's just a straight system with one valve. Just my .02, but I've never put a pressure reducer on this system when I flush my black tank. I hook up a dedicated hose I use just for this purpose and let it rip at whatever pressure the park system will provide. Anecdotal at best, but it's never caused me a problem.

Howard

Click image for larger version  Name:	Rob Black.JPG Views:	0 Size:	51.3 KB ID:	18787
                              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson
                                It would be interesting to T a pressure gauge into your hose connection to the black tank flush. (Less than $20 in parts). I would bet that pressure drops to 20 psi due to the open flow flush spray nozzle.

Rob
                                Cate & Rob
                                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                                X