Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camco's Flexible Drain (Mini Product Review)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camco's Flexible Drain (Mini Product Review)

Having wrestled with attaching the "stinky slinky" base to RV park sewer systems for awhile now, when I spotted this new(?) Camco Flexible Drain adapter I decided to give it a try. The video below the picture shows how it works. (Yes, I wore gloves!)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Flex Drain Both.JPG Views:	12 Size:	157.7 KB ID:	16927

FYI, what I'm testing the Flexible Drain on is the cleanout for my home system. Makes it super easy to dump upon arriving at home! The board you'll see in the background is what I use to get the trailer tilted so the black and gray tanks drain quickly and completely.

Howard

Edit: It doesn't come with the black cap--I put that on to block the unmentionable aroma coming from the grinder pit.
    Last edited by howson; 04-19-2020, 06:00 PM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

That actually looks pretty useful Howard. I'm going to order one. As usual, thanks for taking the time to document this on video and sharing with us!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

howson
      Hi Howard,

Great product find and excellent video. I have encountered exactly the same interference and come-apart problems with the 90 degree fitting as you describe. (I expect that most of us have). You have just added a new purchase to my Amazon list.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Interesting... I have both of the pipe connections, the one piece and the two. Having ran into many drop lines without a threaded connection, I adapted by using multiple lengths of 3 inch hard suction line. It slips snugly over the bottom part of the adapter and fills most of the space in the drop. That way I don't worry about it getting knocked over, the slinky walking, or it rising up in the drop.
        I already know that material used for the hose is extremely durable, but how will it work with the above ground connections?
        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
        Nash County, NC
        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowells View Post
          Interesting... I have both of the pipe connections, the one piece and the two. Having ran into many drop lines without a threaded connection, I adapted by using multiple lengths of 3 inch hard suction line. It slips snugly over the bottom part of the adapter and fills most of the space in the drop. That way I don't worry about it getting knocked over, the slinky walking, or it rising up in the drop.
          I already know that material used for the hose is extremely durable, but how will it work with the above ground connections?
          I'll keep the old 90 degree connections I have in my yucky stuff bin for awhile--just in case. You can be sure that if I find a negative when using the product I'll post about it.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I'll keep the old 90 degree connections I have in my yucky stuff bin for awhile--just in case. You can be sure that if I find a negative when using the product I'll post about it.
            Too bad it's not clear/see thru. I've come to rely on that feature to let me know when I need to stop the black tank flushing cycles.

-Steve
            2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
            Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
            2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
            18k B&W Companion, non-slider
            640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
            Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
            Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post

Too bad it's not clear/see thru. I've come to rely on that feature to let me know when I need to stop the black tank flushing cycles.

-Steve
              You can still use a clear fitting (either elbow or straight) at the connection to the RV, for this purpose.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post

-Steve
                Just like Cate&Rob , I use a Valterra Hydroflush Reverse Flush Adapter exactly as shown on etrailer's webpage. Works great in conjunction with the Valterra valve and then the subsequent hoses. Nice to have the option to spray back into the valve area, too, to flush out the exit area.

Click image for larger version

Name:	etrailer.JPG
Views:	341
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	16980

Name:	f02-4100_18.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	16981

Comment

Howard,

We have had the same problems at campgrounds. Going to purchase one soon. Thanks for your post on this product.
                  Rudy
                  South Dakota
                  2019 GMC 3500HD Duramax SRW
                  2018 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

howson Okay, Now I have a question. When I add the waste drain lines to the hangar, I think that I may try to put the openings as flush to ground lever as possible. About how far up from the edge of the pipe will the connector go? I know that I will be adding a 90 to go straight down from the outlet and I think that may get me close enough. Thanks!
                    Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                    Nash County, NC
                    2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowells View Post
                      howson Okay, Now I have a question. When I add the waste drain lines to the hangar, I think that I may try to put the openings as flush to ground lever as possible. About how far up from the edge of the pipe will the connector go? I know that I will be adding a 90 to go straight down from the outlet and I think that may get me close enough. Thanks!
                      Tough to answer, Jerry, as each campground/spot will be different. All I can tell you is the setup below is what I'm currently using (the flex drain is new, obviously) but the rest has been perfect. I keep two lengths of 20' hose with me and have needed that extra length twice in two seasons.

Does that answer your question?

Name:	Setup.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	17422

Comment

I guess I should have pointed out that I am going to find the exact spot in the hangar that we want to park it and set blocks for the jacks to sit upon, and also I will be placing the waste drain lines directly under the tank drain outlets, so I only need them to be able to reach from the bottom of a 90 degree fitting on the waste line to the PVC fitting which will be right at flush with the floor.
                        Nash County, NC
                        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Related question....sort of! Has anyone found a sturdy hose support? I think I break and then replace about once a season! When I try and repair by clicking them back together they never seem to stay together!
                          Keith and Diane
                          2014 Reflection 337 RLS
                          2017 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins Mega Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Kksfish View Post
                            Related question....sort of! Has anyone found a sturdy hose support? I think I break and then replace about once a season! When I try and repair by clicking them back together they never seem to stay together!
                            When we first started out I got one of the metal accordion style supports. It works well except that the wind can blow the hose off if it's not held onto the support. We have two drains and I got tired of moving the hose and the support so I have added 2 sections of 10' PVC gutter (cut into 6' and 4' lengths to fit in the back of the truck) and have been very pleased with them. The gutter pieces nest to gather and I can slide the inner one in or out to customize the length, the hose fits into the gutter too and I haven't had any problems with wind blowing anything around, and a few pads left over from leveling to support the high end of the gutter and we're good to go.
                            John
                            2018 Momentum 395M
                            2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                            Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

JBill9694

Thanks John, I haven’t seen/noticed the metal accordion style before! I’m going to look for that style first, but your use of a plastic rain gutter is also a good idea especially since I have the PVC fence post thing mounted under the rig to keep hoses in🥴
                              Keith and Diane
                              2014 Reflection 337 RLS
                              2017 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins Mega Cab

Comment

Working...
                              X