Water Filter Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Filter Change

How do I change the water filter? I don’t want to manhandle it and break it. We have a 2018 Solitude 310 GK.
    Last edited by TSRig; 06-06-2020, 10:25 AM.

Originally posted by TSRig View Post
    How do I change the water filter? I don’t want to manhandle it and break it.
    Welcome to Grand Design's Technical Forum, TSRig! Glad you joined us.

What year and model Grand Design do you own?
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I moved your post to the Plumbing section for maximum visibility.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

If it's the big white canister in the Nautilus control panel area, seen here from above to highlight the filter's attaching bracket, be very careful to stabilize that bracket as you twist the canister counter-clockwise to unscrew. If you're not careful, you can pull the bracket's screws out of the wall. Don't ask my how I know -- the answer would be too embarrassing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WaterFilterBracket.jpg
Views:	3081
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	20741

This post by Rob is relevant info:

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post

IMHO, the flimsy L-bracket that holds the filter is at least half of the problem. It and the filter bounce up and down with the weight of the filter (and the water in it) like a toilet flapper valve. I have temporarily shimmed between the filter and the wall with some very dense foam until I can fabricate a diagonal piece to make a right triangle out of the bracket. Without the bouncing movement, there will be MUCH less risk of chafing with the hoses.

Rob
        -Steve
        2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
        Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
        2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
        18k B&W Companion, non-slider
        640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
        Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
        Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post
          If it's the big white canister in the Nautilus control panel area, seen here from above to highlight the filter's attaching bracket, be very careful to stabilize that bracket as you twist the canister counter-clockwise to unscrew. If you're not careful, you can pull the bracket's screws out of the wall. Don't ask my how I know -- the answer would be too embarrassing.
          At the risk of hijacking the OP's thread....this filter (and mount) came with your 310GK? Can you show a pic of the filter itself (with brand and model #)? From use, is the filter effective? Do you like it or would you get something else if you had an option?

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

At the risk of hijacking the OP's thread....this filter (and mount) came with your 310GK? Can you show a pic of the filter itself (with brand and model #)? From use, is the filter effective? Do you like it or would you get something else if you had an option?
            Came stock with the Solitude:

https://www.campingworld.com/flowmat...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

As to like it, no real opinion -- other than it filters no matter what the supply (city water or fresh water tank). On my last trailer, we had started using a screw-on one just because we had friends that did and had seen others use one. Never noticed much difference with the portable one or this one either, because we use bottled water for coffee and drinking. The fresh water supply is just for showers, toilet, and dishes.

I did forget to remove the internal filter when I winterized last year. Didn't notice any impact -- but I bought a pack of new filters this year and installed a new one. You can find one-off filters that are lots cheaper, and I went that route.

-Steve
            Last edited by TucsonJim; 06-06-2020, 12:32 PM.
            2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
            Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
            2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
            18k B&W Companion, non-slider
            640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
            Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
            Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post

Name:	WaterFilterBracket.jpg
Views:	3081
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	20741

This post by Rob is relevant info:

-Steve
              Haha hey that's a pic of my "repaired" filter. Be sure and check yours where the soft hoses run through the metal Nautilus panel, mine were chaffing pretty good there. That pic is the dealers repair using pex hose, much better now. The filter as stated is replaceable and is probably worth something filtration wise. On the advice of a buddy who full times in a class A I ordered this water softener to use inline with the filter, can't wait to try it out. https://www.amazon.com/Watts-Water-C...s%2C174&sr=8-9

Jeff
              2019 Solitude 375 RES
              2020 Ford F450 Platinum

Comment

How do I change the water filter? I don’t want to manhandle it and break it. We have a 2018 Solitude 310 GK.
                We have the same trailer. Ours came with a white plastic wrench that makes removal and reattachment of the filter canister very easy. As steve&renee said, it just unscrews, counter-clockwise.

Be sure to turn off the park water supply and release system pressure before trying to remove the filter canister, otherwise it will be much harder to remove and you might get a sploosh at the end. You can release pressure by briefly opening each of the low-point drains at the lower right side of the floor of the Nautilus cabinet, just for a few seconds each.

Most of the similar filters I've seen at RV supply stores are the correct size to fit inside the canister, but take the old one with you to be sure.

Your choices may range from less than $10 to over $30. I've tried many of them and can't say that I've noticed a big difference from any of them, but maybe our water was already not bad when using the more expensive ones; I haven't applied any scientific method to this. YMMV.

Some folks here have replaced the simple single canister with multi-filter systems that they like a lot. Searching here may help you decide if you're interested in going that route.

Good luck.
                Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Looking from the top of the canister would you not want to turn the filter can clockwise?

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                    Looking from the top of the canister would you not want to turn the filter can clockwise? Brian
                    Yes. It's a "normal" threaded screw fitting, so looking from the "wrong" side of it (above) it would be clockwise turning to remove it.

Whether that's a right-hand thread or a left-hand thread I dunno... we'll have to ask one of the right-brained engineers here.
                    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Originally posted by boyscout View Post

Yes. It's a "normal" threaded screw fitting, so looking from the "wrong" side of it (above) it would be clockwise turning to remove it.

Whether that's a right-hand thread or a left-hand thread I dunno... we'll have to ask one of the right-brained engineers here.
                      That will be a right hand thread.

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I added a similar filter to my Reflection when I redid my Nautalus system. I find it makes a huge difference in taste, I run a 5 micron filter, and don’t notice any reduction in flow. We usually change it twice a year. I have it plumbed in right off the main line, so city is filtered, and water is filtered going into the tank.

Between this filter and the one built into the fridge we have no concerns drinking the water, which is so much more convenient than hauling drinking water around.

Attached Files

Neil Citro
                        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

I added a similar filter to my Reflection when I redid my Nautalus system. I find it makes a huge difference in taste, I run a 5 micron filter, and don’t notice any reduction in flow. We usually change it twice a year. I have it plumbed in right off the main line, so city is filtered, and water is filtered going into the tank.

Between this filter and the one built into the fridge we have no concerns drinking the water, which is so much more convenient than hauling drinking water around.
                          Yep, regretting not figuring that out during this process. Tomorrow the Nautilus is going back in and will be doing leak checks, so it will have to go on the "want to do in the future" list.

Comment

Yep, regretting not figuring that out during this process. Tomorrow the Nautilus is going back in and will be doing leak checks, so it will have to go on the "want to do in the future" list.
                            Yep. I had an external one before but was a pain to always hook up and run two hoses and such. Having it built in is much nicer.

Neil Citro
                            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

So not quite as fancy as other setups, but while doing some cleanup work this afternoon I played around and what do you know--the CAMCO filter fits perfectly in the access hole GD provided. A couple of adapters I had in my plumbing case and voila'--a mounted filter.

Name:	Not so Permanent.JPG
Views:	3105
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	21030

Name:	Not so Permanent 2.JPG
Views:	2798
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	21031

That bottom connection can easily come off if I find it hangs too low. (Looks OK based on the front "A" frame and such--should have taken a wider angle shot for reference.)

Comment

Working...
                              X