Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low water pressure in shower - old topic but what is the solution????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Calbar View Post
    What kind of pressure regulator do you have?
    Hi Rob

See post #22 above. One was $325!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post

Hi Rob

See post #22 above. One was $325!
      Thanks. Didn't read through the entire post. This is what I use. Likely overkill but everytime I used an RV one even the better ones I had nothing but trouble with flow. Now not a problem at all. I also put a pressure gauge on it so that I can adjust it properly if needed and know what the pressure is.

https://www.amazon.ca/Watts-0009257-...ag=googcana-20

Rob
      Rob & Barb
      2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
      2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Originally posted by Calbar View Post
        This is what I use. Likely overkill but everytime I used an RV one even the better ones I had nothing but trouble with flow.
        I tried the $300 Watts model. It didn't work any better than the $50 Amazon model as far as flow goes. Looked really nice though.
        Brian & Kellie
        2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
        2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
        2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
        2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

@bertschb

The only other solution is to replace the shower valve itself to one with a larger shower output. Something like this https://www.amazon.com/EZ-FLO-10551-...17056856&psc=1 This one wont work, but it is just an example if 1/2 in fittings in and out

Older RVs had higher flow valves (made of brass in some cases) and some manufactured housing (mobile homes) uses the prefab shower stalls with similar valves(mounted in enclosures). To solve your shower pressure/flow problem you may also need (as Rob said) the high performance water pump (higher flow at higher pressure) the meets or exceeds you shower head output. A higher pressure pump will put more water through the small orifice in the shower valve. I would try reaming out the orifice first (go slow) to see if it helps. Also check the inside diameter of the shower head hose. Some are bigger than others. also double check there is not a restricter at the end of the hose where it attaches to the shower valve as well as the shower head. They can be hidden behind screens. There may be one inside the shower head itself. Call around to your RV dealers and check plumbing supply houses. If you take your valve in - you may get lucky in a match up that has a larger shower output - then possibly upgrade the pump to match. Good luck.
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
            ...The only other solution is to replace the shower valve itself to one with a larger shower output...
            My "fix" was to simply stop using my water pressure regulators. Flow at the shower head now is very strong.
            Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

My "fix" was to simply stop using my water pressure regulators. Flow at the shower head now is very strong.
              Brian,

It would be interesting if you did a one minute bucket flow test at the showerhead with and without your regulator.

Here is a site that lists a watts 263A model with 4-4.5 gpm flow. Wondering which model you were using?

I have a cheap valtera pressure regulator and found that the gauge was inaccurate where the regulator was under adjusted. Installed a quality oil filled gauge and adjusted the pressure up to 60psi which helped at the shower. As well as opening up the orifice at the shower and adding a new oxygenic showerhead.

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/a...ble-regulators

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A01-...-6&tag=mh0b-20

https://www.amazon.com/ETL-92781-Mat...omotive&sr=1-3

Jim

Comment

I tried the $300 Watts model. It didn't work any better than the $50 Amazon model as far as flow goes. Looked really nice though.
                Brian,

I am stumped then that the shower works well for you without any regulator but even this Watts one give you trouble. Maybe what Guest and Yoda suggested might work but it doesn't seem to be your shower head or valve if it all works without the regulator.

Rob
                Rob & Barb
                2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
                2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

We really want the restriction to be at the showerhead and nowhere else. This way flow rate/pressure drop will result in higher velocities at the showerhead. Same principal as the water hose as its closed off where the water will shoot out further. I'll spare everyone on the fluids theory.
                  Low head pressure depending on the type of pump (if using the pump) or length of hose/lines and how many elbows will all reduce the flow rate which will result in a pressure drop with an open shower. When everything is closed, the pressure will normalize.
                  So in Brian's case, there was a flow rate reduction at his pressure regulator with a resultant pressure drop for the entire rig. I bet with everything closed off the regulator was showing the proper static pressure.
                  If his shower is the furthest from the regulator, there is an additional reduction in flow rate with a further reduction in pressure at the shower.
                  When I opened up my shower valve to increase flow and did a bucket test between the original shower head and the oxygenics, the oxygenics actually had a slightly lower flow rate but the higher velocity of the water resulted in a better shower experience. So this showed the reduction at the valve was causing issues where the reduction at the new oxygenics proved to have better velocities at the showerhead while saving a small volume of water.

Each situation may differ where these bucket tests and pressure measurements with a closed and open valve can lead to a solution.

Jim

Comment

Just overheard this from the bathroom....

"Ahhhhhh, that's SUCH a nice shower!"
                    Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Just overheard this from the bathroom....

"Ahhhhhh, that's SUCH a nice shower!"
                      LOL!

Jim

Comment

Brian bertschb - let us know if Kellie ever gets out !

Dan
                        Dan & Carol
                        2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                        2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Working...
                        X