Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often do I need to replace the Anode Rod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often do I need to replace the Anode Rod?

2021 23BHE - how often do I need to replace the water heater anode rod?
    We are weekenders not full timers and we use a 20 micron water filter for all water entering our fresh water tank
    Also, how often do we need to wash the water tank? It is just when we replace the anode rod or more frequent?
    2021 GD 23BHE

If it’s an Atwood, there is no anode.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Anode rods are only in steel hot water tanks. My 2020 2600rb has a plastic hot water tank so there is no rod just a drain plug.

Charles and Susan
      2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
      Andersen Hitch
      2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

If there is an anode rod it gets replaced when it is highly corroded, and this may take years to happen. It depends on your use, part time vacationers or full timers on the road. When winterizing I need to pull mine so it gives me a chance to examine it. I've had this camper 7 years and I replaced the anode after year 5.

Comment

Surburban brand water heaters have an anode rod. Take a look at the chart below and replace the rod when 75% or more is consumed.. During frequent use, it may be as often as twice a year. When you do change it, make sure you flush the tank to remove all the debris that's left over from the previous rod. Here's a great tool to flush it:

https://smile.amazon.com/Camco-Rinse...s%2C209&sr=8-2

If you have a Dometic/Atwood water heater, it has an aluminum tank and no anode rod is required.

Click image for larger version

Name:	R6Q0jpAl.jpg
Views:	2019
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	25096

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thank you!
            2021 GD 23BHE

Comment

Just sanitized after about 6 mo storage on my site, plugged in elec, water shut off, but not drained. I replaced this anode. Is this normal? Previous trailers did not have an anode as part of the water heater plug. Click image for larger version

Name:	BA48AB6D-62CF-4DBF-95D4-B389A268F683.jpeg
Views:	1859
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	31190
              Doug & Barb
              2020 Solitude 377MBS-R
              2013 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew SB, 2WD, 3.5 EB, Stock Suspension & Michelin Tires
              No, we don’t pull the Solitude, it’s permanently parked on our campsite in SW Fla.
              Previous: Keystone Premier 31BHPR w/Equalizer 1200 WD Hitch

Comment

Originally posted by SolitudeAtLast View Post
                Just sanitized after about 6 mo storage on my site, plugged in elec, water shut off, but not drained. I replaced this anode. Is this normal? Previous trailers did not have an anode as part of the water heater plug. Click image for larger version

Name:	BA48AB6D-62CF-4DBF-95D4-B389A268F683.jpeg
Views:	1859
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	31190
                Yes this is normal. Although you are not there using water the anode rod will still do its job while water is in the tank. You may want to drain and flush the tank maybe a couple times a year to remove sediment from sitting for 6 months. I would also disconnect the battery and shore power if leaving the unit that long unless someone periodically checks it for you. If you leave the electric heating on for the water heater this may cause a pressure build that normally would be released with use , might not be good for the soft hose that is used throughout RV's.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks. I shut off the elec water heater and also shut off its breaker. Unit is plugged in for a/c set at 85 deg and dehumidifier to keep moisture down & prevent mold & mildew, since it’s in SW Florida all summer. Guess We’ll be draining the hot water tank during storage. After sanitizing, I left the bleach water in the fresh tank so I can re-sanitize in about 6 weeks when we go down for the season. Any problems leaving bleach water in the fresh tank? Also, will running bleach water thru the water filter during sanitizing hurt the filter? It had only 3 weeks use before we left, so I just left it in during sanitizing, and it got flushed with the camp’s city water like the rest of the system. We have a permanent resident that checks on things regularly for us.
                  Doug & Barb
                  2020 Solitude 377MBS-R
                  No, we don’t pull the Solitude, it’s permanently parked on our campsite in SW Fla.

Comment

Originally posted by SolitudeAtLast View Post
                    Thanks. I shut off the elec water heater and also shut off its breaker. Unit is plugged in for a/c set at 85 deg and dehumidifier to keep moisture down & prevent mold & mildew, since it’s in SW Florida all summer. Guess We’ll be draining the hot water tank during storage. After sanitizing, I left the bleach water in the fresh tank so I can re-sanitize in about 6 weeks when we go down for the season. Any problems leaving bleach water in the fresh tank? Also, will running bleach water thru the water filter during sanitizing hurt the filter? It had only 3 weeks use before we left, so I just left it in during sanitizing, and it got flushed with the camp’s city water like the rest of the system. We have a permanent resident that checks on things regularly for us.
                    My filter is usually due for replacement when I sanitize so I replace it anyway, but I’m not sure if it would actually hurt it. In the case of a cotton core filter I’d imagine it would be tough to get the bleach taste and smell out. As for leaving the bleach in the tank, I’d think the tank would be fine, but I’ve heard it can do bad things to seals and the plastic fittings GD uses.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Thanks. When I re-sanitize in about 6 weeks I’ll dump the tank then, and run some city water in it and run the pump with clean water; then finish flushing the system with city water. We use bottled water to drink and make coffee, but you raised a concern about pump, seals and plastic fittings when leaving bleach water in the tank for extended period.
                      Doug & Barb
                      2020 Solitude 377MBS-R

Comment

I don't know about the rest of you but they are really inexpensive. I believe the last 2 pack I bought was less than $20.00 I generally pull it in the fall and install a new on come springtime.
                        Sean & Kasey Hosmer
                        2021 376THS
                        2020 GMC 3500HD Denali Dually

Comment

Working...
                        X