Blown Water Heater Line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blown Water Heater Line

Well we had an exciting evening yesterday. Deb and I are still in Elkhart waiting to bring our 337 to the service center Tuesday. Last night we were watching a movie when I suddenly heard a loud noise and immediately knew it was the rush of water. I ran outside thinking maybe my water hose burst but I was greeted with steam coming out of my storage compartment and water pouring out from the bottom of the trailer. I quickly shut the water off at the spigot.

Really!?

Anyway, I turned the heater bypass valve to bypass so we have water in the trailer but now I have to decide if I want to go digging in the basement and fix it myself or just do without hot water for the day and let GD fix it.

I think I just made up my mind. GD can fix it.

I will start the drying process and see if I can get some pictures of the exact rupture.
    Paul and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Originally posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    Well we had an exciting evening yesterday. Deb and I are still in Elkhart waiting to bring our 337 to the service center Tuesday. Last night we were watching a movie when I suddenly heard a loud noise and immediately knew it was the rush of water. I ran outside thinking maybe my water hose burst but I was greeted with steam coming out of my storage compartment and water pouring out from the bottom of the trailer. I quickly shut the water off at the spigot.

Really!?

Anyway, I turned the heater bypass valve to bypass so we have water in the trailer but now I have to decide if I want to go digging in the basement and fix it myself or just do without hot water for the day and let GD fix it.

I think I just made up my mind. GD can fix it.

I will start the drying process and see if I can get some pictures of the exact rupture.
    Pictures showing where it failed would be good, Paul.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Hi Paul,

Depending on where the line burst, putting the water heater on bypass my eliminate the pressure but not completely eliminate the water leak. You should be able to get eyes on this by pulling a drawer or two from the buffet. Remember to turn off the circuit breaker for the water heater if you drain it. A picture would be good to have. More than one Reflection has experienced this because the water heater is sometimes plumbed with the "soft hose" rather than Pex piping. Attached is a picture of the burst hose from the outlet of our water heater.

Rob
      Attached Files
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rob, I did shut the breaker off and I'm just starting to move things around to get a look.
        Paul and Deb Cervone
        2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
        2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Sure enough!Click image for larger version

Name:	20190902_111910.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	3502
          Paul and Deb Cervone
          2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
          2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Paul

Another reason why it would be nice if GD would quit using the flexible hose on PEX fittings. Sorry for your troubles and hope this gets resolved.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Hi Paul,

Sorry to hear about you becoming another victim to the flex hose on Pex fitting at the HW outlet.

If GD doesn’t want to use Pex, consider the repair yourself. I am very happy I changed to Pex last year when this happened to us.

Lyle
              Barb, Lyle and the two four-legged kids
              2015 Solitude 369RL #3521
              2018 Ford F350 DRW

Comment

Well, I was in the pass through cleaning up and our travel companions, Jim and Paula, were also still here and low and behold he carries a selection of pex clamps and the crimping tool!

So I crawled my butt through the maze of wires and heating ducting, removed the old clamp, made a clean cut on the tubing and replaced with a new clamp.

Another catastrophe behind us as the water heater is back working without leaks.

Now I guess it's finally time to order the crimper for my toolbox.
                Paul and Deb Cervone
                2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Hi Paul,

Good that Jim had the Pex rings and the crimping tool . . . but this is only a temporary fix.

The soft hose will again blow out if connected to the hot water outlet. The best solution is to replace all of the soft hose with Pex piping. The second best solution is to use a piece of Pex pipe and then a 1/2" barbed hose fitting to connect to the soft hose. Like in the attached picture, but use a longer piece of Pex pipe if possible. This will move the soft hose away from the maximum temperature at the water heater outlet. A 1/2" barbed hose fitting and a hose clamp are the correct attachment for the soft hose . . . not a Pex fitting and clamp ring.

It is lucky that you were there to shut off the water when the hose blew. Imagine the damage if that hot water and steam had spewed for hours with no one home! A good reminder to everyone to always shut off the water when you leave the trailer. I have installed a solenoid valve that turns off the water supply when I turn off the water heater . . . which is easy to do whenever we leave the trailer. A longer discussion for another time.

Rob
                  Attached Files
                  Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Yoda
                    Yoda commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Rob
                    I had one of the 90 degree fitting like you show in your picture fail on my nautilus panel. The internal retaining clip failed. Home depot sells a brass 90 replacement that was a perfect match. It has a nylon threaded coupling on it instead of the plastic. No retaining clip to fail. I carry a spare and if I get a chance will get the part number.
                    Hope this helps.

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                  I have installed a solenoid valve that turns off the water supply when I turn off the water heater . . . which is easy to do whenever we leave the trailer. A longer discussion for another time.
                  Freakin' brilliant idea, Rob! (I expect no less, mind you.) Yet another modification added to my list of things to do. Can you provide a link to the solenoid you used?
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                  2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I think I'm going to revamp my entire plumbing system to change the soft hose to PEX. It's a big job, but once fall temperatures arrive, it shouldn't be too tough.

Jim
                    Jim and Ginnie
                    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Freakin' brilliant idea, Rob! (I expect no less, mind you.) Yet another modification added to my list of things to do. Can you provide a link to the solenoid you used?
                      Hi Howard,

The solenoid valve that I used is this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                      It draws minimal "signal voltage" power when in the open position and draws power only when moving. I wired it to the the electric water heater circuit since (for us) shore power and city water usually go together. If your camping uses city water with propane water heating, you might want to wire this differently.

Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

It's my understanding that GD uses 1/2" PEX connectors thru out the lines. Certainly the fittings and lines I can see on my 2600RB are 1/2". Cate and Rob make suggestions for your toolbox fittings. We added a $26.99 PEX crimper with crimp rings & gauge, assorted plastic PEX fittings and 5' of PEX tubing ($1.92 at Homer) to the tool kit for about $35.00. So far, only used it on a fellow camper's water hear replacement. Cheap peace of mind. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019DPYQZM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

Working...
                        X